Thread: Heads up ... BTAFE ordeal ... but a happy ending!

Heads up ... BTAFE ordeal ... but a happy ending!

I'd submitted two form 1's back on December 15, 2015 the first one was approved nearly a month ago, the second Form 1 was just approved last night with 7 emails back and forth.

It turns out that the Colt "Sporting" receiver I bought back in December wasn't actually made by Colt, but under license by Bold Ideas, a Texas company. I don't remember who was selling them but for $200 it seemed like a decent deal. Its a forged receiver and it was a complete ... it came with a Colt marked GI trigger & hammer and a regular M4 type stock which also has Colt on it.

It has the Colt Logo and first 5 digits of the serial number is CSR15 which also it wasn't in the list of models back then ... anyway, I had checked the box that my model wasn't listed and in the box to put the description I'd put "Sporting" and as manufacturer and country of origin I put "Colt, USA" because it's engraved as Colt Mfg LLC, Hartford Ct ... it seemed like my other Colt's, the info on the back really didn't mean anything to me, but I did notice when I got it that it didn't have the typical "reinforcement" behind the hammer, and it has a low shelf.

The form 1 had been turned over to a Legal Instruments Examiner in the Department of Justice, and the examiner was really a decent and polite guy but the whole deal was kind of weird, he had me send pictures of both sides of the receiver, finally disapproved it and had me re-submit with "Bold Ideas" as the manufacturer and approved the new form 1 within minutes.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Just wow! Never heard of Bold Ideas or Colt subcontracting out receivers. No wonder they're going bankrupt!

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Glad it worked out. You are the second person that I have heard has had a decent experience when having issues with form 1's or 4's.

A guy at work was transferred early, his form 4's hadn't been approved yet so he called to tell them he was moving and they just approved them then and there and updated the address.
    Initial Success or Total Failure