Thread: RT524 and R442 radios for my HMMWV!

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

RT524 and R442 radios for my HMMWV!

Some of you military guys probably remember these.....
    Got nice reconditioned radios, fresh carc, they look brand new. Just need a few cables for the VIC1 system I already have and fix a cold start problem with my humvee, then I'll be installing them.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

So who can you talk to? Are they like a CB or do you have to have a pair of them? I agree it looks like new.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Sweet, There is still some activity on the 6m band. Can get some interesting DX there. Whats the power output? What a neat find.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    So who can you talk to? Are they like a CB or do you have to have a pair of them? I agree it looks like new.
    Will have eventually in two of my five tons, these are for the HMMWV. Like Rci2950 said 6 meter band. I can talk to myself with the R442 LOL 8W(low) and 35W(high) You can still find these rci2950 no problem, The RT524 usually goes for around $500 dented and mucked up but functioning fine. I opted for much more expensive, reconditioned and fresh carc, so you can imagine the premium I paid, but the Vendor takes care of his customers and the millions of questions I have.... http://www.recodefense.com/about.html

Also, most of the mil gear is wider bandwidth fm than 6m HAM radios, so while a link between commercial and milspec rigs will work, it won't be comfy.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"