Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which gun first

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Schuetz - I just got off the phone with a CSR from 300 Below as I was interested in their process. Their video is a good explanation of the process but I wondered about the cost for a rifle barrel, so I called their toll-free number (1-800-550-2796) and talked to a very nice gent named Matt. He explained what it would cost (not counting shipping) for me to have the barrel of my Rem. 700/.243 to be treated and it was a surprisingly low $85! He said that they are even having a special until the end of this month where they would treat 2 barrels for $135 (saving $25). He did say that they preferred we ship only the barrels as they would have to go through an FFL otherwise.

Only $85. Hhmm??
    Oh yeah, it isn't really super expensive to do. A Remington is going to be hard to get the barrel off. OTOH an AR15 is relatively easy to get the barrel off and then back on. Frankly the rifles I did were these; 700 BDL in .30-06. M1 Garand with receiver attached. Swedish Masuer 96 and 96-38. SAR-1, SA-85M (AK types). They all improved and became best in class for accuracy.

i think they torque remington barrels on with tanks.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

I've been thinking of doing cryo on a couple barrels, but haven't gotten to serious about it yet. For an AR do you send in the complete upper or the barrel only?

I've got a 1st gen SiG 716 DMR and it rivals my SR-25 match but likes heavier bullets ... The SR-25 likes 168's while the SiG prefers 175's ... It took a while to find its preference as there wasn't too many out back then. It's miles ahead of an Armalite AR10 A4 I had some years back. I'm not too sure what's mentioned about the SiG not being customizable. Mine came with a 6.5pound Gisselle trigger which I promptly changed out for a 4.5 pound RRA-2stage I had picked up when they were on sale, it's the KAC/DPMS platform ... but I went with it because it came out of the box exactly the way I'd equip it. 18" 1/10 twist threaded barrel, Magpul UBR stock & grip, railed handguard, Harris bipod and adjustable piston system. I think if there was anything very significant I'd want to change I'd just build it ... However it is one of the barrels I'd like to have cryo'ed, not so much for accuracy but then it might just completely replace my SR-25 match, but more for easier cleaning and longer life.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kimberkid View Post
    I've been thinking of doing cryo on a couple barrels, but haven't gotten to serious about it yet. For an AR do you send in the complete upper or the barrel only?

I've got a 1st gen SiG 716 DMR and it rivals my SR-25 match but likes heavier bullets ... The SR-25 likes 168's while the SiG prefers 175's ... It took a while to find its preference as there wasn't too many out back then. It's miles ahead of an Armalite AR10 A4 I had some years back. I'm not too sure what's mentioned about the SiG not being customizable. Mine came with a 6.5pound Gisselle trigger which I promptly changed out for a 4.5 pound RRA-2stage I had picked up when they were on sale, it's the KAC/DPMS platform ... but I went with it because it came out of the box exactly the way I'd equip it. 18" 1/10 twist threaded barrel, Magpul UBR stock & grip, railed handguard, Harris bipod and adjustable piston system. I think if there was anything very significant I'd want to change I'd just build it ... However it is one of the barrels I'd like to have cryo'ed, not so much for accuracy but then it might just completely replace my SR-25 match, but more for easier cleaning and longer life.
    For an AR system I'd just send the barrel. I would leave the gas block on it though. Remove the gas tube. If you look at my list of rifles that I had cryo treated, most you really can't just take the barrel off the receiver without a lot of specialized tooling and knowledge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12