Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which gun first

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Which gun first

There are two guns I want, I would like to order one of them this week, but I am having trouble which gun to buy first. Both of these will be used with my sig srd762ti suppressor.

Gun 1
    Armalite Ar-10 chambered in .308 with a 20 inch barrel. I was looking at a bolt 308, but these are plenty accurate enough and multiple reviews have placed these guns in the sub-moa category. The only thing I would still need is glass. Looking at the Vortex Viper PST with a first focal plane and either the 4-16 or the 6-24 magnification.

Gun 2
    Remington 700 with 5R rifling chambered in 300 win mag with a 24" barrel and . The initial cost is cheaper, but I would cerakote it as it comes in stainless, also replace the stock with one that accepts detachable magazines. Good news is the barrel is already threaded. It would get the 6-24 scope above.

I am leaning toward the armalite, but a little project doesn't sound bad either.
    Last edited by Hatedbysheeple; 04-22-2016 at 07:55 AM.
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Decisions, decisions. Go with the Ar 10 it needs the least amount of attention and play with the Rem.
    during the winter months.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 Sherman's Avatar

Gun 1 just because it is badass.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I have owned a Remington 700 in .308 and a friend has an Armalite AR10 that he dropped a Timney Trigger into. I really like his AR10!!! The Remington is one of the few rifles I have ever sold.

I might be the only person here who is not a fan of the 700, so I say AR10.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Toss a coin.

In the late 80's, I was able to buy a very lightly used 700 in .243. After testing it with Federal, Remington, and Winchester 100 gr. factory loadings, I was NOT pleased with the results.

So I started reloading for this gun.

With the info I obtained from various powder manufacturers (the manuals weren't very helpful), I started using Accurate's 2230 powder. I scaled 5 rounds each from 31 to 33.5 grains (MAX). No problems and best accuracy was 32.5-33.5. My Lee press is set to give 33.3 grains for the Sierra 100 gr. spitzer boattail bullets, a very good load for this rifle.

How good? Despite using a mixture of brass (Fed., Rem/Peters, Win., & Savage/Stevens), I shot one round at a time off of sandbags, laying the rifle down every time yet I still had a 7-shot group I could cover with the palm of my hand at 200 yards.

I can't comment on the accuracy of the 300 Win. Mag you are looking at, nor to its downrange distance (other than it will be more than the .243), but I believe the 700 will give you better accuracy at any given distance. The 300 Win Mag WILL however, have more "felt recoil" than the .308 as the semi-auto action will absorb some of the spent gasses to cycle the action. This will also allow you to stay on target better and have a faster follow-up shot than the 300 Win Mag.

And the ammo is less expensive!!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

My vote is for the AR-10 first.

If possible, I would look for a bolt action that had iron sights on it. I don't like the idea of having a rifle that doesn't have any iron sights because if you're out in the boonies and your scope gets messed up, you can use the iron sights as a backup until you get back home.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I have an AR10T, very accurate rifle, absolutely sub moa with good ammo. I'd go with the Remington 700 cause i don't have one yet ( i shoot mostly savage bolt guns) and i think the 300 win mag is an awesome cartridge and that new rifling profile is supposed deliver amazing accuracy

My idea of an accurate rifle is one that will shoot 5 rounds into a 1'' circle at 200 yards, i've done that with the armalite a few times with federal gold medal match ammo. one hole groups are fairly normal at 100 yds with that ammo

The masses have spoken, armalite it is. I'll be waiting a couple months for my suppressor still, but here is what I am thinking right now. Vortex Viper first focal plane 6-24 x 50mm with a vortex scope mount with 20 moa cant. A larue tactical modified harris bipod, still unsure about installing a monopod on the butt stock.

I am not sure if the 6-24 magnification might be too much, but if it is I will just move that scope to the 300 win mag when I build it and order the 4-16.

I want the 700 with the 5R rifling profile because as I understand it those are the same barrels that they install on the m24 military rifles.

I kind of have this vision of over lapping 30 cal rifles in my head. 0-200 yards 10 inch sbr ar-15 in 300 blackout, 100-800 yards 20 inch ar-10 in .308, 500-1200 Remington 700 in 300 win mag, all capable of sharing the same can.

On the scope ... you want it for paper punching or do you want it for SHTF? I've shot a 6.5 - 20 Leupold EFR on an AR with Kreiger 20" ss barrel on military popup targets. THis was a speed event, 8 targets 4 at 200 and 4 at 300. The 6.5 was too powerful for 200 yards. Acquiring the target was difficult, not enough field of view. For 600 yard high power rifle copetition 10X was more than I ever needed to see clearly. So my 2 cents is to get the 4x - 16x is more then enough glass for SHTF. IMHO 16X will do fine out to 1000 yards.

Right now, and for the foreseeable future it will just be for punching paper. I left myself an out though, if it ends up being too much I will just move the 6-24 to the 300 win mag and buy a new 4-16 for the ar-10.

I get the scopes at a 40% discount, but there are no returns save for damage or defect. So I was worried about going small and figured the above plan was the safest bet.
    Last edited by Hatedbysheeple; 04-22-2016 at 11:22 PM.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

I see you've chosen the AR10. Good choice, it's an election year.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    I see you've chosen the AR10. Good choice, it's an election year.
    Good point. Prez Hilldabeast the 1st is about to be coronated!

my remingoton 700 PSS in .308 is very accurate. I can shoot 2 to 2 1/2" groups at 300 yards with it all day long.

Flight got in a little late so gonna have to wait till Monday to get the armalite and looks like I will probably have to order it. One gun shop was open when I got home, was able to check out a sig 716 dmr, and a Springfield M1A Loaded. The price was tempting on the M1a but it has funky threads and would require adapters or machining to safely mount a can. The price was nice on the sig a little under $2300 otd, 18 inch barrel with a piston, 2 stage trigger. I can't do anything till monday but now I am digging into the sig 716, I thought it cost another thousand or so.

EDIT to add: Never mind about the sig, several reports of accuracy issues and sig does not have an accuracy guarantee with them. The weight is a bit high at 12.3 lbs. Finally there is almost no comparable aftermarket for them unlike standard ar-10 rifles.
    Last edited by Hatedbysheeple; 04-23-2016 at 06:05 PM.

I agree on your culling the SIG as a choice due to the lack of parts to support or customize it. When you get your Armalite send the barrel off to 300 Below and get it Cryo treated. It will last at least 2x as long and the accuracy will probably be enhanced 30% if it is a typical barrel. Now if it shoots 1 hole 5 shot groups out of the box, no it won't get any better.

http://www.300below.com/

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

What advantages does cryo treating have over nitriding? I know nitriding offers the same corrosion resistance as chrome lining (moot point on an AR), but with better accuracy, and gives the barrel about the same endurance as chrome lining.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    What advantages does cryo treating have over nitriding? I know nitriding offers the same corrosion resistance as chrome lining (moot point on an AR), but with better accuracy, and gives the barrel about the same endurance as chrome lining.
    I already stated the advantage. Deep Cryo treatment; 1 stress relieves the steel far beyond furnace only heat relief, 2 it makes the steel tougher by improving the grain structure all the way through, not just on the surface. This results in at least 2 times the barrel life before accuracy will drop off. 3. due to the reduced stress in the metal average barrels will shoot more accurately, the groups will not "walk" on the page or open up like they do on normal barrels. Click the link and read more at 300 below. I've done 8 rifles over the years. They all improved on accuracy. The most dramatic improvement was my Remington 700 BDL in .30-06. It has the typical skinny hunting rifle profile. At 200 yards it was good for 2 shots only. By the 3rd shot the group would walk 5 inches away from the fist 2 shots as the barrel heated up. By the 4th shot the impact would be a foot away from the first two rounds. On the 5th shot the impact could be up to 2 feet away from the first two rounds. After Cryo treatment the rifle will shoot 20 rounds through an Orange sized group at 200 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I agree on your culling the SIG as a choice due to the lack of parts to support or customize it. When you get your Armalite send the barrel off to 300 Below and get it Cryo treated. It will last at least 2x as long and the accuracy will probably be enhanced 30% if it is a typical barrel. Now if it shoots 1 hole 5 shot groups out of the box, no it won't get any better.

http://www.300below.com/
    Schuetz - I just got off the phone with a CSR from 300 Below as I was interested in their process. Their video is a good explanation of the process but I wondered about the cost for a rifle barrel, so I called their toll-free number (1-800-550-2796) and talked to a very nice gent named Matt. He explained what it would cost (not counting shipping) for me to have the barrel of my Rem. 700/.243 to be treated and it was a surprisingly low $85! He said that they are even having a special until the end of this month where they would treat 2 barrels for $135 (saving $25). He did say that they preferred we ship only the barrels as they would have to go through an FFL otherwise.

Only $85. Hhmm??
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast