Thread: Photographs and pictures may paint 1000 words

Photographs and pictures may paint 1000 words

but what if those words are manipulated? I know this is old but we are
    seeing words and pictures more manipulated than ever. And with a quick
    glance society unwilling to seek the whole story you end up with
    Ferguson type scenarios where untruths become reality.

It fit the narrative then and is still working now.

https://fstoppers.com/historical/wha...pinions-125776
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I watched that live on the 6 0'clock news several times ( remember when they did that? along with the nightly body counts) I remember it for what it was, a war execution of an enemy combatant ( war is not supposed to be nice and civilized, IT"S FUCKING WAR) My dad had just retired from 25 years in the army so my perspective of the event was shaded a bit, I remember thinking that the idiots who viewed that as an atrocity had no fucking clue what really happened.

I joined the Marines 3 years later.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

With CGI and modern photograph editing, ANYTHING is possible. I have an idea that experts could photo shop a photo to show anything they wanted to show and no one would be the wiser.

Today, photos cannot be taken as truth just because it's a photo.

Imagine what Hitler could have done if he had had access to today's photographic technologies...scary.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    With CGI and modern photograph editing, ANYTHING is possible. I have an idea that experts could photo shop a photo to show anything they wanted to show and no one would be the wiser.

Today, photos cannot be taken as truth just because it's a photo.

Imagine what Hitler could have done if he had had access to today's photographic technologies...scary.
    Yep, that's a new reality us old farts are learning. A good cameraman has always had some influence on the photos he took, lighting, camera angles, focus and such, but nothing like what can be done with a computer.

When i first saw that photo shop of the great white shark jumping out of the water towards the hovering helicopter it was hard for me to tell it was faked, i'm slowly learning. What it boils down to is how easy it is to fuck with our minds these days and the end result will be that no one will trust anything they see anymore which will make it easier to fool us into believing lies
    Last edited by davepool; 04-22-2016 at 10:23 PM.

I also watched the the footage of that execution on the evening news. I was about 22, recently discharged from the USAF.
    It was briefly explained that guy was Viet Cong spy or something. Loan pulled the snub nose, brought it up to the guy's head and shot him. A momentary stream of what appeared to be a clear fluid streamed out of the opposite side of the Viet Cong's head. His face screwed up as though he was trying to fend off a slap to the face, but the deed, by that time, had been done.

The VC hit the ground. There was some flexing of his legs, but pretty sure he was dead. Sort of like watching a cockroach's legs kicking after being sprayed with Flit. It's funny, but besides saying, "Holy crap!", I was not really overly shocked. After all, that guy was the enemy, his death meant nothing to me. He was now a "good VC". What stuck with me a few moments later was how supremely ugly Gen. Nguyen Ngoc Loan was.

I'm glad to now know the whole backstory, even if it is 47 years later.

The man Lone shot was a North Vietnamese army captain out of uniform.
    He had a list of people to murder on him, including as many of their families as possible.

Lone personally caught the captain finishing off the last infant in the family of one of Lone's relatives. With a shovel, to save ammo.

Under the Laws of War, being out of uniform is the same as being a saboteur. Murdering civilians is a War Crime.
    For either, under the Geneva Conventions you can be simply shot out of hand with no hearing or other process.
    During WWII we shot the Germans we caught in the Battle of the Bulge wearing American uniforms.
    That was done a little more formally after a very brief hearing to establish that they were German soldiers and wearing American uniforms.