Thread: Dog Attack

Dog Attack

Today I suffered a rather disturbing incident. Every day I take my dog for a 3.5 mile walk and did so today. At the conclusion of the walk I was starting up my driveway and had gotten about 10 yards when a small mangy looking mutt of less than 20 pounds appeared on the road and charged up my driveway biting my much larger dog (of about 55 pounds) in the neck. This happened very quickly. I immediately kicked the attacking dog in the side. As the two dogs were spinning in a circle I was not able to land a hard kick but the attacking dog did step back a couple of steps and stopped moving -- at which point (acting on instinct without thinking) I landed a brutal kick to the dogs head which landed with an audible thunk (I was wearing heavy hiking boots). Much to my surprise the dog did not demonstrate any visible injury but growled and ran off. At this point I noticed the dog was trailing a leash and had apparently gotten away from someone so I halfway expected a person to materialize which did not happen. After the dog ran off I examined my dog for injury. Oddly I could not find any bleeding but his fur was soaked in the other dogs saliva which was now on my hand. My thoughts regarding the incident.

1. I wonder if I did the right thing landing a full force kick on a small dog. I guess I did, since it resolved the incident -- but I don't feel good about what I did. I should mention that a week ago a friend advised me of a similar incident where a small dog bit her sister's Doberman and a week later the dog died from blood poisoning, so a little dog can do damage.

2. I didn't see any bleeding from my dog and can't find evidence of a bite wound although he was clearly bitten. I am not going to have to monitor the dog for an abscess. My last dog would sometimes develop abscessed wounds a few days after killing a Groundhog. Her Groundhog bites were never initially visible.

3. I should not have examined my dog without first putting on gloves. His neck was covered with saliva from the attacking dog which did get on my hands. I immediately washed my hands when I got in the house and did not have any cuts and scratches on my hands to I don't plan to get a rabies shot. Still, contacting the saliva of an overly aggressive animal is disturbing. I hope I don't come down with rabies.

4. My dog (although a mix of aggressive breeds including Pit Bull) is clearly not a fighter and this bothers me somewhat. His reaction to being attacked was to try to get away. However I did select this dog at the animal shelter because he was friendly, not aggressive as I have cats and grandchildren. My last dog was a 90 pound Chow mix with severe dog aggression. The animal shelter was going to put her down the day she was brought in due to aggressiveness. This dog proved to be OK around people once properly introduced, but constantly wanted to fight other dogs and would have quickly killed any smaller dog that attacked her. My current dog is a good watch dog and lets me know when someone approaches my house but I am disappointed that he is not a little more aggressive. That being said he is a very loyal and affectionate animal.

5. When I leave my house I always have my Glock 26 and also carry pepper spray. However, in today's dog attack I would not have had time to draw either weapon which would have been an issue if the attacking dog had been larger and more powerful. I once saw a Pit Bull shake off a 9mm shot from a Cop -- so trying to stop a dog like this with a kick would be rather problematic. I think most people who carry concealed firearms should spend less time shooting and more time practicing their draw and I am probably one of those people.

6. For whatever reason I find an aggressive attack from a very small dog against a medium dog to be disturbing as it seems contrary to the law of self preservation.

For me this (today's incident) was dog attack #4. Attack #1 occurred when I was around 14. I was attacked and bitten in the back (I was trying to get away) by a Great Dane. The attack was terminated when the dogs owner intervened. Attack #2 took place when I was in my thirties and walking my 5 month old German Shepherd. We were attacked by two large junk yard type dogs belonging to a neighbor. One attacking dog ended up rolling around on the ground with my dog and the other one attacked me receiving a kick in the face. This attack was also terminated when the dogs owner intervened. Attack #3 took place two years ago and I mentioned it on this forum. This attack was from a medium dog. I was walking my Chow mix and held her by the collar while blasting the attacking dog with pepper spray which terminated the attack. In this case the attacking dog followed me for about 100 yards showing signs of attack -- so I was prepared. And now I have attack #4 today. For some reason I don't think the attack today will be the last dog attack incidents. One complication regarding a dog attack I often think about is that defense against a dog could quickly ramp up to defense against an owner or precipitate a feud with a neighbor.
    Last edited by jet3534; 04-24-2016 at 11:06 PM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Sorry to hear of this attack.

The main thing I'd be worried about is rabies. Rabies is carried on an animal's saliva and where you mentioned your dog's neck was covered with the other dog's saliva, I'b be concerned with that.

Since rabies is a virus, just washing your hands isn't enough.

I'd get your dog looked at by a vet and I'd go and talk to a doctor and explain the situation and see what he/she says about your possible exposure.

Rabies is a very dangerous disease and shouldn't be treated lightly.

Hopefully, there's nothing to be worried about, but I wouldn't take any chances, anyway. Good luck.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Remind me to not go for a walk with you. You seem to be a trouble magnet. (Just kidding)

Did the other dog have any tags on the collar, if so it probably has its shots.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

The vet needs the other dogs brain to check for rabies. So avoid headshots.
    Last edited by rci2950; 04-25-2016 at 06:20 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Sorry to hear of this attack.

The main thing I'd be worried about is rabies. Rabies is carried on an animal's saliva and where you mentioned your dog's neck was covered with the other dog's saliva, I'd be concerned with that.

Since rabies is a virus, just washing your hands isn't enough.

I'd get your dog looked at by a vet and I'd go and talk to a doctor and explain the situation and see what he/she says about your possible exposure.

Rabies is a very dangerous disease and shouldn't be treated lightly.

Hopefully, there's nothing to be worried about, but I wouldn't take any chances, anyway. Good luck.
    Jet - Ali is 100% correct! DON'T WAIT! Get to your vet ASAP. Even if your dog is up to speed on its vaccinations, it is better to be "proactive" on this and not "reactive".
    You might want to talk with your family doctor as well and ask his recommendation for yourself.

Good luck!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

For general reference if any of you ever have to get vaccinated against rabies, its not the horror story we were all told as kids, it's three shots in the arm over a month. I had to get vaccinated before going on one of my trips.

If you have been exposed, its 5 shots over two weeks, 2 drugs day one, then one of the drugs spread out over two weeks 3 more times, all in the arm. I know a guy who had to go down this route as a safety precaution from a rat bite.
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Quote Originally Posted by Hatedbysheeple View Post
    For general reference if any of you ever have to get vaccinated against rabies, its not the horror story we were all told as kids, it's three shots in the arm over a month. I had to get vaccinated before going on one of my trips.

If you have been exposed, its 5 shots over two weeks, 2 drugs day one, then one of the drugs spread out over two weeks 3 more times, all in the arm. I know a guy who had to go down this route as a safety precaution from a rat bite.
    My brother was attacked by 4-5 dogs when he was about 6 yrs. old. Back then, the shots were really nasty...right in the stomach. Today's treatment is nothing like it was years ago. Modern medicine at its best...

Since then, he's been involved in some kind of experimental rabies prevention vaccine treatment. He goes in and gets a shot about 2-3 times a year (in the arm). It's supposed to be as effective as it is with dog/cat vaccines. So far, he hasn't had to use it, but like he says, if it works it's worth it. He spends a lot of time in the woods and hunting, etc.

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

rabies can be spread by claws too.

shit can lie dormant in your brain for up to 9 months then... Bam! ... you're an actual zombie , but your fever will kill you before a crossbow bolt or .357 round to the melon will.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    rabies can be spread by claws too.

shit can lie dormant in your brain for up to 9 months then... Bam! ... you're an actual zombie , but your fever will kill you before a crossbow bolt or .357 round to the melon will.

I wonder if they could modify it to reduce the fever and exaggerate the mental effects.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

that's basically the whole muslim population.. some have popped, others still in incubation.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    that's basically the whole muslim population.. some have popped, others still in incubation.
    But, all are infected.

Freedom isn't free.