Thread: How to clean your rifle from the muzzle without destroying accuracy

How to clean your rifle from the muzzle without destroying accuracy

When cases get tired they can be recycled for a new life. This is what I do with 30.06 cases to give them a new life in saving barrels from unnecessary damage from cleaning rod.

Many semi autos and lever guns are cleaned from the muzzle. Its a five step process for 30 cal.

1. Clean your brass and neck size only without the expander in your full length die. I first size in 30.06 FL die.

2. Next remove expander from 308 Win die and roll shoulder back a little bit at a time relubing before every move.

3.Next remove the expander and run in 7/08 die. Do this in about three stages and re-lubing the neck shoulder and roll the shoulder back.

4. Remove expander from a 260 die and reduced neck down making it smaller.

5. Chuck case in lathe and drill out as indicated. Try your cleaning rod. It is doesn't want to slide on rod run case in 260 die with expander in place.

When you get through you can scrub your barrel to make it cleaner without fear of damaging crown and ruining your accuracy. Also works on 35 cal 44 cal barrels to protect the crown.
    Distinguished Rifleman Smallbore Prone and Highpower Rifle, Presidents 100 (Rifle), Member US Palma Teams and US Dewar Teams. US Army Test and Evaluation Command - Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director - Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD, NRA Member since age 12, NRA Benefactor, Charter Member International Wound Ballilstics Assn, Life Member Gun Owners of SC, Life Member Palmetto State Marksmen's Assn, Eagle Scout, Bhd OTA, Shriner, FF1, AC4HT,

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Nice post.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

If I had the tools (not being a reloading guy, I don't) this would make a killer idea for my AK's! Thanks for sharing. Might have to talk to a buddy or two about making a couple of these.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

You should try selling some of those. I would be interested (depending on the price!)
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    You should try selling some of those. I would be interested (depending on the price!)
    http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleanin...-prod5631.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleanin...prod33215.aspx

A product exists to do this job made by Dewy. Click links.