Thread: 62 Years Old! The Old Girl still Flys well, one of only 2 Real ones that are still Operational!

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Thumbs up 62 Years Old! The Old Girl still Flys well, one of only 2 Real ones that are still Operational!

I had heard there was still a Real Messerschmitt ME.262A-1A Storm Bird still Flying. Did a Search on YouTube. I Was not disappointed. There are 2 Left in the World that are not sitting in a Museum. Nor is this that Damn Company here in the States that makes 2/3 Size Replicas, of the ME-262A-1A Notice they put the standard Iron Cross of WW2 on the Tailfin. How wonderful to know they are still around. This was at the Berlin Airshow in 2006. Paul
    Last edited by Hobe Sound AK; 04-29-2016 at 06:31 PM.
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    There is a lot of stuff that got trashed when we over ran Germany. I can understand that we wanted to make sure that they didn't have a few hidden reprisals up their sleeves, but there are many really odd aircraft that the Germans designed that were destroyed. Glad to see a 262 still flying even if it was 10 years ago.

Cool I love jets. My favorite is the A6 Intruder. Bad ass.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMG1WCVff0I
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Correction! She is 72! This Year! There are a lot of ME-262s that are not Flyable, I was just hoping for 1, to see 2 are left is Great! They will always be well cared for. I am sure!
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

I was also wrong on the Tailfin. There is a Swastika on the Tail, they just have it blotted out, they must have had to do that frame by frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    I had heard there was still a Real Messerschmitt ME.262A-1A Storm Bird still Flying. Did a Search on YouTube. I Was not disappointed. There are 2 Left in the World that are not sitting in a Museum. Nor is this that Damn Company here in the States that makes 2/3 Size Replicas, of the ME-262A-1A Notice they put the standard Iron Cross of WW2 on the Tailfin. How wonderful to know they are still around. This was at the Berlin Airshow in 2006. Paul

Did you ever see the documentary about a B-17 frozen in ice, then an expedition spends months melting and digging it out, then they patch up the engines and get it in good enough shape to fly out, then when they are getting ready to go, a fuel leak in the APU starts a fire and melts the airplane to the ground?

Almost made me cry.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    I was also wrong on the Tailfin. There is a Swastika on the Tail, they just have it blotted out, they must have had to do that frame by frame.

Nah. They just trace it out in one frame and then a computer follows the pattern and does all the work (similar technology to down lines and other info overlaid on a football game where the line moves with the camera APPEARS to be painted on the grass).
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Yes I did, but it was a B-29. One of the Guys Died. As the Plane was taxiing to take off something broke loose, and the Plane caught Fire. How Sad.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

What's really sad is all that WWII stuff is way too rare.....Cutup and sold for scrap. A real crime IMO. I'm doing my part with the semi current wheeled vehicles.

The engines must be rare as hens teeth these days. If original that is. Modern synthetic lubricants will go a long way to keeping them flying on original parts.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"