Thread: Laptop Help

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Laptop Help

Toshiba about 4-5 years old
    Windows 7 Home Addition in 64 bit

It is the wife's computer. It runs fine when she is just playing solitaire or mar-Jon, but every time she open Firefox the screen goes to completely black after a few minutes. I'm 1500 miles away and not near the computer tech I was 20 years ago on the older systems... just haven't kept up with it.

Really no clue as to whether this is a hardware, virus or software problem. It is running the full paid version of malware bites. I have the free version of IO running on it also.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Sounds like something is overheating when she opens something that requires heavy processor usage. Doesn't sound good.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Web browsers usually aren't that demanding on computer resources. Screen going black usually means video card going bad. In a laptop most have integrated graphics or they use an APU, a CPU chip with a Graphics processor combined with the CPU. If the PC is not powering down or just going slow then it probably is something to do with the video / graphics chip / card and or drivers for same. If you'd said it took for ever to load the browser I'd say maybe your hard drive is frying out. The more they fail due to heat over the years the slower the computer works. An SSD installation could breather no life into a laptop if that's the case. I did that to my own Toshiba laptop wich was purchased in 2011 if memory serves me.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

I would try something easy first like uninstalling firefox, then reinstalling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Web browsers usually aren't that demanding on computer resources. Screen going black usually means video card going bad. In a laptop most have integrated graphics or they use an APU, a CPU chip with a Graphics processor combined with the CPU. If the PC is not powering down or just going slow then it probably is something to do with the video / graphics chip / card and or drivers for same. If you'd said it took for ever to load the browser I'd say maybe your hard drive is frying out. The more they fail due to heat over the years the slower the computer works. An SSD installation could breather no life into a laptop if that's the case. I did that to my own Toshiba laptop wich was purchased in 2011 if memory serves me.
    Seems like all three laptops we have are loading slower and taking longer to boot and load browsers... And keep having ghosty issues...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    I would try something easy first like uninstalling firefox, then reinstalling it.
    Couldn't hurt...

Yeah, have her export her faves before she deletes ff so she can reinstall them after a fresh ff install.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    Seems like all three laptops we have are loading slower and taking longer to boot and load browsers... And keep having ghosty issues...
    Why all 3? You run all THE same stuff? Maybe it is something you injected.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Why all 3? You run all THE same stuff? Maybe it is something you injected.
    I have a Lenovo company laptop and a Toshiba personal laptop.
    The wife has a Toshiba personal laptop
    The mother-in-law that lives with us has a Toshiba

All the Toshibas are running Malwarebits as a primary virus protection. The company has switched to MS Intune.

I also have IObit and Advanced System Care installed on the wife's and my personal machines. The MIL doesn't really get in the internet.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

IO running on it also.
    Well there's your problem. Nothing good ever comes from those two letters. *badum-tss*
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Stop using gay PC. Problem solved...
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 Sherman's Avatar

FireFox is a resource hog. On my 7 year old Dell computer, I can start FireFox and within minutes the fan will kick on and stay on. The computer will run extremely slow with frozen screens and long hard drive run times. I have ran CCleaner to remove all the garbage and still the processor gets hot and the computer runs slow.

My fix. Bought a Dell XPS 15 touch screen notebook with a Intel I7 quad core processor, 16GB ram and a 512GB SSD. Smooth at silk now. My old Dell was outdated and tired. I mainly use it for the CD ROM now.