Thread: Went to the Fort Worth gun show last weekend.

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

Went to the Fort Worth gun show last weekend.

It was better than the last Market Hall show. For as long as I have lived here, the Market Hall shows have been the best in this area. Anyway, I picked up a S&W M&P 15-22 to go with the S&W M&P 15 I bought a few months ago. The 22 version functions just like the 223 version. I have been building up my 22 rifles over the past year. I discovered 4000 rounds of 22 that I found in my garage since who knows when I put it there. I have been buying 22 every time I go to Cabela's since they have the best prices around. Fat on 22s now.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 Sherman's Avatar

Wish I could have went. There was also a PrepperCon in Dallas. I would have made a run through the gun show then to the preppercon. I worked all weekend and couldn't get done early enough to make it. Were the prices decent? Everytime that I have been to the FTW Gunshow, the prices were horrendous.

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

Prices were all over the board. I got a good price on my rifle. I saw the 223 rifle I bought several months ago is now about 30 bucks cheaper and has more fixtures of the regular S&W 15 rifle. Saw some good prices on ammo. 22 is still high because the vendors probably bought it high when there wasn't any and are not trying to at least break even. Hard to do when Cablea's has a whole shelf of the stuff in their store.

Yeah vendors have to live their decisions also. Took a gamble and eh....
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by coppertales View Post
    It was better than the last Market Hall show. For as long as I have lived here, the Market Hall shows have been the best in this area. Anyway, I picked up a S&W M&P 15-22 to go with the S&W M&P 15 I bought a few months ago. The 22 version functions just like the 223 version. I have been building up my 22 rifles over the past year. I discovered 4000 rounds of 22 that I found in my garage since who knows when I put it there. I have been buying 22 every time I go to Cabela's since they have the best prices around. Fat on 22s now.
    Last year I found a brick of 22 ammo in my garage that was 15-20 years old 2/3 would not fire and the ones that would fire were squib loads. My conclusion is that rimfire ammo may have a limited shelf life - at least if exposed to temperature extremes. On the other hand I have shot > 20 year old centerfire ammo without a problem.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

What brand was the .22 ammo that didn't work well from being old? Reason I ask is I think it might be brand related. I've got some Winchester Wild Cats that I purchased when I was in my teens in 1976 to 1978. I have yet to shoot any of it that didn't go off perfectly. It has been moved 9 times and stored in hot, cold and in between temperatures.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

no pics?
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

i remember about 13 years ago buying up a bunch of wildcats made in the 80's at a shop still in it's sealed box that never worked. last time i bought them .

IMHO I think it's the priming compound in them that breaks down/collects moisture.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

its funny i have fired Imperial brand .22 LR rounds from the late 80's and they worked. might be a reflection of the quality as well as these were made in Canada.

I keep my stored .22LR in steel 30 ammo cans with desiccant packs, I should do a spot check soon and recharge the desiccant packs.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38