Thread: Kel-Tec RMR-30 (Carbine version of PMR-30) Prototype Pictures Released

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Kel-Tec RMR-30 (Carbine version of PMR-30) Prototype Pictures Released

I saw this on the Firearm Blog and I am liking how it looks. If I had the choice between the carbine and pistol, I'd definitely go with the carbine for the better performance of the .22 magnum out of the longer barrel.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-30-prototype/

The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

Neat-o.
    I have a PMR-30 on the way.

Did you see the prototype subgun?
    видеодон

If it works I'd buy one. I've always thought highly of the 22 mag for general purpose use around the farm and field. I agree out of a rifle it makes alot better use of the rounds abilities.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    I saw this on the Firearm Blog and I am liking how it looks. If I had the choice between the carbine and pistol, I'd definitely go with the carbine for the better performance of the .22 magnum out of the longer barrel.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-30-prototype/

I like it,30 round flush fit magazine 16" threaded barrel.Pretty neat looking,if they keep the cost down I would not mind having one.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

That is sweet. If reliability is good, I would get one provided the price is right. The handguns were a little more expensive that I would have guessed. Love the 22 mag

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    ... The handguns were a little more expensive that I would have guessed. Love the 22 mag
    I'm getting my PMR-30 for around $350. Not bad IMHO.
    They're going for crazy prices on GB right now
    because of availability.
    видеодон

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Carbine I would do. That subgun didn't seem to be very reliable... kept having to rack the slide...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Carbine I would do. That subgun didn't seem to be very reliable... kept having to rack the slide...
    I believe he said it was the end of the day...no cleaning...
    after a LOT of rounds. There' another clip somewhere of it rockin' repeatedly.
    видеодон

This thing has potential. I'm going to have to keep my eyes on this thing. I might "need" to add it to my collection.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Info from a KelTec employee from KTOG forum:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...=1285484545/15

operating handles are ambidextrous and non-reciprocating.

We looked into a SUB2000 style rifle too, but there were too many issues to overcome compared to the "R-31" style shown above. The above design uses the same exact trigger mechanism and grip shape as the PMR-30 so it will feel the same and function the same. Collapsible stock makes it still nice and compact, and the stock rods are shaped to still provide a nice cheek rest (which is often a problem with collapsible stocks). Lots of aluminum extrusion is used for the upper assembly, and the rails on top and below are removable. rear sling mount is built in, front sling mount is removable and reposition-able. Thinking about having it come with magpull flip-up sights (like often seen on AR's). Flash hider likelly will not come with it, probably just a thread protector.

it would have been nice to have the stock rods below the ejection port, but it couldn't happen without getting in the way of the safety levers. putting the rods above the port also allowed the rods to be moved closer together for a thinner profile, and they could be rounded and used for a cheek rest. It's not unheard of to have the rods higher than the bore. (HK MP7 is like this) I think the reason it looks a little strange is because there are no optics on it. The distance between the cheek weld and the rail is nearly identical to a flat top AR so any optics that work with that, will work well here.

pretty much all the grip parts are common with the PMR-30 pistol (except the grip halves, frame, and ejector). Same hammer, springs, trigger, slide stop, mag catch, fasteners, and so on.

straight blowback is the way this one is setup, but there is room for a delayed blowback system also (if necessary). Hybrid action (like the PMR-30) should not be necessary in a rifle length barrel. The main reason it is needed in the Pistol is because of the wide variation in the pressure levels of different .22WMR ammo in such a short barrel. Shooting thru a longer barrel will have less variations in pressures and should allow for a straight blowback system to work well, even with a wide range of ammo.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Now for the truly evil look,make a 60 round mag for it.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

I think they better just go ahead with the delayed blow back system, Remington and Ruger have tried the blowback route with 22 mag semi's and found blowing out cases was common in those long thin cases during extraction...

very nice and a lot of potential if the price is right, it works and keltec does a better job of getting them to market than they are with their 308 bullpup.