Thread: 7.62 x 39 AR

7.62 x 39 AR

How many here have an AR in 7.62 x 39? If so, what magazine do you use? If so, what magazine do you use?
    Thanks

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Me, personally I like those 250 round coffin drums.

But seriously, no I don't have a 7.62x39 AR. The stock lowers are designed for the 5.56 case that has almost no taper compared the 7.62x39 round. I see there are some sepcialized AR lowers that are designed to use the stock AK type double stack magazine. IF I were to go for the x39 AR, that type lower would be the way I would approach it.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...e&groupid=5387
    This link is to a rifle I would consider.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 06-02-2016 at 05:55 PM.

I have one, RRA upper and standard lower ... I use the C-Products 762x39 AR mags ... it has the proper curve like the AK.

I realize this is considerably late and the issue has, I'm sure, been resolved by you by now! My wife and I each have the same carbines and use ASC 20 round magazines with no issues at all in our standard lowers. These magazines drop easily from our carbines when empty also. We considered getting the 30 round mags but was a little concerned with the length while lying prone. Maybe I should have bought & tried one instead of arbitrarily dismissing the idea! If by chance kimberkid (or anyone else) uses 30 round mags you could enlighten us in this area?!

I have a friend that uses the 30 round C Product mags in his 7.62X39 AR also, he told me they work flawlessly for him.
    LICENSING: When gov't takes away your right to do something then sells it back to you.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I've always been of the mind that AR=5.56x45 and AK=7.62x39

I do understand the attraction of a 7.62x39 AR but I like as much reliability as can be had.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

The AR wasn't designed for the 22LR, 9mm, 5.7, a couple different 6.5 offerings and the 300BO as well as a good many other caliber's but it's modular design has made it a good platform for them as well. Personally while I still have my 7.62x39 upper I use the 300BO much more often simply because it uses the same mag.

I'd really like to see a 6.5 caliber that uses the 223 case like the 300BO does ... Just a bit heavier projectile with much better balistic's than the 7.62, but it doesn't seem likely unless I want to do a wildcat of my own.