Thread: Ordered a rifle, might have to order another

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Ordered a rifle, might have to order another

My dad's birthday is coming up and I have been thinking about what to get him. Then last weekend I call him and he tells me this story.

About 2 months ago he decided he wanted some chickens and gets 30 chicks, a few weeks ago he thought they were big enough to leave them outside during the day. Well after 5 days he was down 6 chickens, he started looking for the culprit and he ended up having to sit in his car for a good bit waiting on a Saturday. It ended up being a raccoon, a large fat raccoon. The only gun he owns is a Sig p226 tac-ops that I bought him 3 years ago. Before last year he lived in town and didn't hunt anymore so he was happy with that for home defense. He got the raccoon in the shoulder from about 40 feet with the sig, but I think he needs something better. Well now he lives out in the country on 10 acres, and I figure its time I buy him a rifle.

I thought about it for a bit and decided to get him a lever action, mainly because he loves cowboy movies so much. So today I ordered a Henry 20" .357/.38spl lever gun. I thought about .30-30 and .44 mag but I think .357 will be more than enough for any predators 4 legged or 2, plus its good out to 100 yards, and the .38spl will let him plink for low cost.

I already feel I might be ordering another one for myself though, I have a Marlin 1895G in .45-70, it was my first lever gun and I love it, with 405gr buffalo bore magnums it is my go to hunting rifle for hogs or deer out to 100 yards. However, it is punishing to shoot both physically and financially for long periods, so this henry has my interest piqued.

Initial Success or Total Failure

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Looks like a fun rifle. Where did you order if from?

Oh yeah, did you Dad kill the raccoon or only wound it?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Superior Pawn and Gun in Norfolk

Yeah he got it, it was trying to crawl off so he walked up and finished it. He shot it with 124gr federal hydrashok, but raccoons are tough little bastards.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Superior Pawn and Gun, do they have the really gaudy commercials with 3 young guns talking about buying gold and jewels? I was in Norfolk a couple of months ago and remember a commercial for a pawn shop that was stupid and loud, but apparently very memorable.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Superior Pawn and Gun, do they have the really gaudy commercials with 3 young guns talking about buying gold and jewels? I was in Norfolk a couple of months ago and remember a commercial for a pawn shop that was stupid and loud, but apparently very memorable.
    Not sure about the commercial, I bought that adams arms ar-10 from them and they gave me a good deal on that, so called for this and they gave me another good deal. I also have 3 of my 4 suppressors going to them.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Aren't you a nice son getting your dad the Henry. Good logic in the caliber pick. The .357 magnum / .38 spl. will handle everything up to deer size and black bears. Plenty of gun for all around use.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Bet your dad will be enjoy He would probably get some use\enjoyment out of a .22 rifle as well.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Bet your dad will be enjoy He would probably get some use\enjoyment out of a .22 rifle as well.
    I thought about a .22 as well, but with only one gun I wanted something with more down range capability. I might get him one next year.

raccoons' are cocksuckers. they turned my backyard into a golf course for the blind looking for worms/grubs so i turned it into a war zone = no more raccoons.

These are nice.. with that barrel length nothign aroudn you that 38.357 cant handle. Outside the norm, a 110gr 357 load should drop damn near anything in north america.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    You are one really nice son! Henry lever rifles are among the best in the business. What ever you do, don't shoot his rifle or you will have to get another for yourself!

A guy that comes out here occasionally has one very very similar
    It's a great shooter and on my list of "some day"
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

FYI, the mare's leg makes a good SBR:

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Looks like a fun little carbine. I didn't know you were in Norfolk. I been there three times in the last 2 years. If i known i would have come meet you. If anything just to shake your hand.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    Looks like a fun little carbine. I didn't know you were in Norfolk. I been there three times in the last 2 years. If i known i would have come meet you. If anything just to shake your hand.
    I've been here since December, hit me up next time your in town

The CASS people bash them, but I have a Henry Rifle in .45 Colt and I really like it. One caution - the brass is easily scratched.