Thread: Quick And Easy Target Frame

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quick And Easy Target Frame

I've built target frames in the past, but they were rather large and bulky and not very easy to set up at the range. I just completed my newest, cheapest, and easiest to set and take down frame and decided to share it with any of you who might want to try it.

A few things were "must haves," such as easy to set up and take down, easy to transport, space saving, guaranteed parts availability, and cheap. It, also, had to be able to withstand a fair amount of wind.

I wanted something that could be easily repaired should one shoot out a part of the frame (which I've done many times). I always cut extra pipes and have extra connectors with me. To replace a section of pipe only takes about 2 minutes. It's very easy to repair at the range.

For parts, I used 1/2" PVC pipe, 1/2" PVC connectors, 4 zip ties, and 4 tent pegs.

Here's the completed frame. It stands about 5'6" tall and about 2.5' wide. The only time I measured was when I cut the five foot pipes in half. Other than that, I eyeballed it. (I wanted to keep it simple.) Sorry for the sideways photos, but Photobucket wouldn't let me rotate it.

Here's the base with the tent pegs and zip ties attached. I put one on each side to stabilize it in the wind. On a calm day, I don't think I will need the pegs.

Here's the frame where I'll put the target. For that I'll use making tape and tape the target in the center. To change targets, just rip the tape and tape a new one in. If you prefer, you can tape a piece of poster board in the frame and tape the target to that, then take the poster board out when you're ready to take the frame apart.

These are the tent pegs and zip ties that will hold the base steady if it's windy. The zip ties are loose so the tent peg can slide through and anchor the base to the ground.

Here's all the parts of the frame. Nothing is glued together. It pops together and pops apart. I use rubber bands to keep the pipes from separating when I'm transporting them.

Here's the connectors. 6 "L's" and 4 "T's."

These are the tent pegs and zip ties. I use the metal pegs as they're more durable than the plastic ones.

All in all, I think this is a vast improvement over my old target frame. It's far easier to set up and transport. It's small enough to keep in the trunk or on the back seat and it's ready to go when I am.

Hope you can use this idea. You're welcome to it.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I've built target frames in the past, but they were rather large and bulky and not very easy to set up at the range. I just completed my newest, cheapest, and easiest to set and take down frame and decided to share it with any of you who might want to try it.

I made a target frame. It uses three pieces of 3/4 inch iron pipe (6 foot each) and two elbows. Then I have two 5/8 inch rods of re-bar about 3 feet long with a pencil type point on one end.

The pipe elbows have large "eye loops" inserted through diagonal drilled holes. Lastly, I use heavy duty chain to hold up an armor plate target.

(detail of the eye loop and chain - before the armor plate)

(design info)

It's easy to setup and take down... just unscrew the pipe from the elbows and toss all the parts in the trunk.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Both are good ideas. However some ranges won't let a guy use any metal target racks. They're worried about bullets hitting the frames and spashing back. Along the lines of the Krupski pipe frame with spikes. I had wind flags for competition shooting that were of a similar design. Black iron pipe, end caps, spike in the end caps so I could stab them in the ground then put my weather vane type wind flag in the top of the pipe.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I use a few pieces of steel wire bent into a square U. If they get shot I just say fuck it.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Thanks to both of you for posting. Since Ali and I went shooting a couple of months ago building some of these target frames have been on my list of things to do. I will probably wait till I get back to Washington State, though. I have to tell you that they were easy to repair. Just pull out the shot piece of pipe and replace with a new one when needed. As the frames were PVC there was no real chance of ricochets, either.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member