Thread: Beretta M84BB and CZ-82 Comparison

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Beretta M84BB and CZ-82 Comparison

Got some time to take my new Beretta M84BB to the range today. I figured that since I had the time it would not take much more effort to take my CZ-82 along and compare them. For those that may not know the Beretta is a .380 ACP and the CZ is a 9mm Makarov. The round are almost equivalent except that the 9mm Mak is slightly more powerful.

I did not weigh the pistols on a scale, but based on my calibrated arm they weighed roughly the same. The Beretta hold 13 rounds and the CZ holds 12. This is where the first real difference was noted. It was not an issue loading 13 rounds into the Beretta magazine while getting more than 10 rounds into the CZ is a struggle. To be fair I have noticed this with my Glock magazines as well. The last two round, whether it is a 10 round or 15 round magazine are very hard to get loaded.

Next difference was the sights. I felt the CZ sights were better. The CZ sights are 3 white dots which I found very easy to see, align, and contrast with the target. The Beretta has 2 white dots, one on the rear sight and one on the front sight. Getting proper alignment and being able to see them against the target I found more difficult. Not hard, just not as easy as the CZ.

Recoil from each felt the same. I was using Brown Bear, 94 gr 9mm Mak for the CZ and Winchester White box, 95 gr .380 ACP for the Beretta. I put 100 rounds through each gun. I had no issues with the Beretta and I had one fail-to-feed with the CZ. I just had to pull the slide back and let it grip the round and I had no other issues. I would say I had that problem about round 43 or so. The Brown Bear ammo is lacquered so I am blaming that for the problem.

The CZ seemed to be easier to control, but I really think this was because of the sights. When I really took my time and concentrated with the Beretta I really got a good grouping. Here are the last targets of the day. Each was shot at 10 yards at the NRA Range in Fairfax, VA. The first 4 round with the Beretta are the ones outside the black. I slowed down and really concentrated and put the other 6 in the 9 ring or better. With the CZ I didn't slow down because I was having a better time lining up my shots. I wonder if I had slowed down with the CZ if I could have gotten a tighter grouping like I did with the Beretta.

All in all I am happy with both and will not have an issue with carrying them, though my primary carry guns will still be my Glocks. The goal would be for my wife and daughter to carry these but that will take a little more work on my part!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Were the targets shot in that horizontal orientation or were they vertical in placement. Nice report over all. IMO the Beretta when you slowed down did a lot tighter grouping.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I shot them in the horizontal position but I took the picture vertically. I am sure there is a way to rotate the picture but I have not figured it out!

I agree, when I slowed down the Beretta was much more accurate. I need to go out again and do the same thing with the CZ and see if it was the gun or me.

Forgot to report that the Beretta broke when I was shooting it. At about round 80 one of the medallions fell out of the wood grip! I figure that I can't be too unhappy that the glue holding in the medallions failed after 30 years. I used a little Elmer's and put it back in, good as new.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Well you can always get new grips. I always preferred Pachmayr to wood. I have them on 3 handguns; two revolvers and a 1911. I see they do have two models for the Beretta 84 series of weapon. See da link. http://pachmayr.com/home/pistol-grip-details.php

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Nice range report, thanks!!!

Many Berettas use the military style two dot sighting system, and it does take getting used to putting the dot on the post.

As for the medallion falling out of the wood grip, that seems to be a problem with a lot of wood grips with metal medallions as the glue used does a good job of holding onto the wood but not the metal. I wish I had a dollar for every wood Beretta grip that I have come across that was missing the medallion.