Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 10...yes or no

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Linux and bsd are unix derivatives more or less. The current apple os I think are bsd based, haven't followed them in ages so unsure about todays apple os but os x is/was bsd based. Some linux and bsd os you can dl and install and they will pretty much find everything in the pc and get drivers for it on their own, others are more fiddly in that the installer must direct the os to drivers and perform other chores such as compiling options and so on and so forth. It helps to be geeky here.

Correct. MacOSX is BSD based.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I'm using it on 2 PC's. One is an older lap top that I took the free upgrade. The other is my desk top gaming PC I built last December. That was a totally new build, I put on Windows 10 from the get go, paid the $110 to get it on a flash drive. I don't see much difference in performance due to 10. I look at it like this, 7 is soon going to be like XP, they just will not support it. I turned off all the spy ware part of 10, plenty of videos on YouTube to show you how to go about that. Unless you are going to go Linux 10 will be your OS eventually.
    ^^^^ Do this ^^^^^^

Man, I don't know what the hell some of you guys do to your computers to have so many problems, which I think is not the fault of the OS.
    I did similar to Schuetzenman, with the upgrade, and except for a few beginning teething annoyances, I have had ZERO problems with Win10 (Pro). Absolutely nothing has happened. All my files and all my pictures and music are in the folders they were in originally.
    I made sure I kept "Control Panel", because it's a bit different than the "Settings" doo-dad, but all is well and just happily humming along.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 Sherman's Avatar

I have Windows 10 Pro and really like it. Turn off all the bullshit and my Dell XPS is smooth running.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I've been running 10 for about 6 months now with no issues. I've found it to be pretty much identical to the 8.1 version I was using before.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

I have windows 10 on my new laptop. My old computer with xp died. This one was given to me, it isn't what I would have chosen but, hey free can't complain. Honestly I don't like 10. I would have gone back to xp but I couldn't get that to run on the new computer. I have a hard time finding the settings when I wish to change something. I will give it the fact that it seems stable by itself which is far more than I could say about vista. I have had all kinds of trouble getting my old games to work though, which sucks. I don't trust this system not to spy on me. I'm no expert but just wandering though the settings it seems like every other setting is there to report back to microsoft what you are doing with your computer. I find that disturbing espcially with the NSA spying on everything too.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    I have windows 10 on my new laptop. My old computer with xp died. This one was given to me, it isn't what I would have chosen but, hey free can't complain. Honestly I don't like 10. I would have gone back to xp but I couldn't get that to run on the new computer. I have a hard time finding the settings when I wish to change something. I will give it the fact that it seems stable by itself which is far more than I could say about vista. I have had all kinds of trouble getting my old games to work though, which sucks.
    Most of my old PC games won't work either. Also, I went & bought a copy of Fallout 4 when it came out last fall. There is something with 8.1/10 which hinks running the game smoothly. The main reason I migrated over from my old rig using Vista (which ran perfectly for 7+ years) was to play the latest FPS games.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    Man, I don't know what the hell some of you guys do to your computers to have so many problems, which I think is not the fault of the OS.
    Same.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

The software box said "Windows 7 or better required".

So I installed Linux.

Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    Most of my old PC games won't work either. Also, I went & bought a copy of Fallout 4 when it came out last fall. There is something with 8.1/10 which hinks running the game smoothly. The main reason I migrated over from my old rig using Vista (which ran perfectly for 7+ years) was to play the latest FPS games.
    What graphics card do you have? Have you installed the latest drivers?

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    The software box said "Windows 7 or better required".

So I installed Linux.

LOL good retort Roger!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    How are you able to keep XP going? I would have loved to keep it. and my Windows 6 Browser, What is XP64?
    I have XP on multiple computers/ Why wouldn't I be able to keep it going? Just keep a good antivirus on it. XP64 is XP 64 bit professional. A bit temperamental for some games. I have a dual boot XP/7 and a dual boot XP64/7. I've found XP to be the best of all worlds except for games that require 7 on up. Microsnot still has all the updates ect to keep XP going, they just don't guarantee anything into the future.

On another note, microsnot was trying to force me to upgrade to 10 warning I had an hour to upgrade....... I think I stopped it via searching the net on how to..... That's complete BS, you buy an OS then they force you to "upgrade". Shades of what did the gov't put in there that libs like MS founder need you to accept?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    XP was a great operating system, but in the name of continuing upgrades, which translates into "we need to make more money", Microstuff gave us Vista, a window to how poor a system can come from such a good system. There was such an uproar at the crap Vista that MS was forced to give us "7" which although not as user friendly as XP, is not a bad system.

So if 7 is a good system, then MS must change it, and in their infinite wisdom decided that to show how good they are (in their minds) they will make X free for a short time.

Sorry Microsoft, I liked XP and you forced Vista junk on us, then realizing it was junk, gave us 7, ok but not as friendly as XP. So to show how nice you are, how transparent (the current word for "trust us", you are giving us the next system free. Sorry Microsoft, been bitten too many times, like 7 and will stay with it until you no longer support it. At that time I will go to one of the other systems, and right now the Steve Jobs legacy looks really good.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

I got a windows update notice this morning. There were 2 important updates - both were win10 nags. I was surprised as I had disabled both of these before so they were supposed to be hidden. It was was also surprising since I was under the impression that running never10 would eliminate this crap.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Think about this for a moment.
    These have been the various Windows OSs after DOS - "BOB"; 3.1/3.11; 95; 98 & NT; "Millennium Edition"; XP (basically an advanced 98 combined with NT); Vista; 7; 8/8.1; and 10.
    Every other OS Microsoft developed, starting with "BOB", was trouble-prone.
    The others, with the possible exception of 10, have been stable, dependable systems. I've used 3.1, 95, 98, NT, XP, and 7. I would have PREFERRED to stay with XP, but - - .
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    What graphics card do you have? Have you installed the latest drivers?
    Everything current & up-to-date. I'm a stickler for that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    I vote NO.

But then again I'm a Linux user, so anything Windows is a "no" for me.
    was wondering if I'd see anyone with that reply . Fedora 20 KDE on a old toshibe laptop and my main laptop has Ubuntu Studio 15.10 on it . I always get a chuckle when I see these threads pop up .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12