Thread: Brexit could mean for the human species

Brexit could mean for the human species

Stephen Hawking has penned a thoughtful appeal for post-Brexit Britain to reconsider the role that wealth plays in society, warning that isolationism and envy could even lead to the end of the human species.

In a Guardian essay, the world-renowned physicist made the case for a more comprehensive and generous definition of wealth "to include knowledge, natural resources and human capacity."

Noticing that we're living in "perilous times," Hawking lists all the multiple challenges that the planet and human race face: climate change, food production, overpopulation, the decimation of other species, epidemic disease, and acidification of the ocean.
    http://mashable.com/2016/07/29/steph.../#5h3bGXhxjkqK

It's amazing to me someone so brilliant can hold such notions, I guess he fears freedom, wich is what brexit is about. I doubt there's anything that has fueled the degradation of the planet faster than globalism.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I have to agree that I have been reading what Hawking has been saying lately, and believe his brain is no longer fully charged.

For instance, climate change. If he is so smart, he would realize that most of the USA was under a sheet of ice a mile thick not to long ago in sun years. Climate change is normal. Our adapting to it is what sets us apart form other species.

Food production, really???? How about letting farmers farm all their fields instead of the government paying them to not farm them (yes I know the dollar cost of overproduction, that is my exact point). We could feed the world as long as the farmers didn't go broke first.

Overpopulation? See epidemic disease. How about responsibility? Have only the number of children you can afford to take care of, and not the ones artificially produced because of government programs. Of course in some parts of the world, overpopulation is strictly because of living conditions and the mind set that men can't keep or don't have to keep their pants on.

Yes, I think Hawkings is losing it if he values control over freedom.

Agreed. I also wondered about Tesla, such a brilliant mind and he, like Hawking, apparently was an atheist. I mean, the odds on everything just happening due to chance, with no designer and power of creation. Newton, JC Maxwell, Einstein, even Kaku, all of them great men of science, believe(d) in a higher intelligence with unlimited power. It's not like a law of physics states that all systems in order decay into disorder, wich would kinda preclude evolution or anything.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Agreed. I also wondered about Tesla, such a brilliant mind and he, like Hawking, apparently was an atheist. I mean, the odds on everything just happening due to chance, with no designer and power of creation. Newton, JC Maxwell, Einstein, even Kaku, all of them great men of science, believe(d) in a higher intelligence with unlimited power. It's not like a law of physics states that all systems in order decay into disorder, wich would kinda preclude evolution or anything.
    I don't think atheism has anything to do with mental acuity. A person's mind can operate with, or without, a belief in God.

Tesla was raised by his devout father to enter the clergy, but, in his college years, he fell in love with science and wanted to pursue that as a career. He was a natural at electrical science and engineering and that was far more exciting that his religious studies.

Not sure he was an absolute atheist, but his not going to church had more to do with his personalty disorder than anything else.
    Last edited by alismith; 07-29-2016 at 07:03 PM.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Come on, I think we can trust someone who's never actually lived in the real world to solve all of its problems. If that piece of shit would have been born in a 3rd world mud hut he would have died a long time ago. Now he dedicates his life to ruining the society that's allowed him to not only live but have an actual purpose.