Thread: Croatian AK mags heads-up

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Croatian AK mags heads-up

FYI, SGAmmo, AIM Surplus and some others have Croatian steel AK mags with BHO followers. They are good-to-go: I ordered some and they all came brand new in the wrap. They are $13.

http://sgammo.com/product/surplus/30...-open-follower
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MAK47CRO30
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Nice looking mags, and I like that they are stamped "Made in Coatia"

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Those ARE nice looking mags. Don't have an AK at the moment but I'm tempted to pick up a few any way.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Yep those are some very fine looking magazines. The uniformity of the welds at the rear lug shows the quality.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I have one I got for the collection. Build quality is excellent, however the locking tabs are oversized and need to be filed down in order to fit. This is a very common issue, so much so that I would count on having to work on them.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I have one I got for the collection. Build quality is excellent, however the locking tabs are oversized and need to be filed down in order to fit. This is a very common issue, so much so that I would count on having to work on them.
    What model AK have you tried it in? Just curious. You also might have gotten the one mag in the whole bunch that wasn't built correctly.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 08-04-2016 at 04:59 PM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    What model AK have you tried it in? Just curious. You also might have gotten the one mag in the whole bunch that wasn't built correctly.

I don't want to list every AK I own here, but suffice it to say that I tried it in a lot of them.

It was common knowledge on the various forums when I purchased this magazine that they are little oversized and need just slight filing on the rear tab to fit, and I purchased it knowing this.

I continue to endorse these magazines regardless of that fact, as every AK enthusiast is going to have to learn how to use a dremel at some point.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

And really, another way to think of it is that they left it a little oversized so you can make it the perfect fit and not have such a high quality magazine rattling around in half the rifles you insert it into.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    I wish some of the other combloc countries would get off their ass and make some new production mags, I'm not a fan of the Yugo pattern.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

I don't want to list every AK I own here, but suffice it to say that I tried it in a lot of them.

It was common knowledge on the various forums when I purchased this magazine that they are little oversized and need just slight filing on the rear tab to fit, and I purchased it knowing this.

I continue to endorse these magazines regardless of that fact, as every AK enthusiast is going to have to learn how to use a dremel at some point.
    I just tried these out in two WASRs and a Polish kit on an American-made receiver and they snapped right in with no modding necessary. They may have changed up the thickness of the locking tab recently - I did a highly unscientific test with the naked eye by comparing them with other steel mags and they looked to be the same size.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    I wish some of the other combloc countries would get off their ass and make some new production mags, I'm not a fan of the Yugo pattern.
    Agreed - I remember a decade ago when steel AK mags were cheap and plentiful from a rainbow of countries. I don't even bother with the junk Korean AK mags that are all over the place.

Thank you for the reply. I was just curious since you only had the one mag. I would have no problem tweaking them a tad to fit a given rifle.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    I just tried these out in two WASRs and a Polish kit on an American-made receiver and they snapped right in with no modding necessary. They may have changed up the thickness of the locking tab recently - I did a highly unscientific test with the naked eye by comparing them with other steel mags and they looked to be the same size.

Good news!

APEX Gun Parts stocks the Croatian manufactured magazines. They are our #1 seller!
    We have carried these for a few years now:
    http://www.apexgunparts.com/ak47-mag...-packaged.html

Login with your APEX site account to get the best pricing!

Richard
    APEX Gun Parts
    http://www.apexgunparts.com

719-481-2050 Order Line
    3105 North Stone Avenue
    Colorado Springs, CO 80907
    Mon-Fri 8am to 4pm Mountain time

Like us on FaceBook:

Follow APEX on Twitter:

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Those ARE nice looking mags. Don't have an AK at the moment but I'm tempted to pick up a few any way.
    First of all, WHAT? You don't have any AK's at this time? Right before the S is going to HTF? Richard, tsk tsk tsk. Get that fixed as soon as you can.

I hope you are in a position to do that brother - I'm looking at these Croatian mags and drooling. Even though I've got a shitload of EU AKM mags, I'd still like some more BHO type. But alas, I'm underemployed and barely able to pay my bills right now.

Do have a good job lined up but it ain't done until the fat lady sings...

Nice mags!! And who cares if they need a little fitting? That back catch would be a snap to fit.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~