Thread: .45 G.A.P.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question .45 G.A.P.

Anyone actually shoot/use/issue this caliber? I've never seen any firearm chambered for it other than the Glock 37/38/39. Several years ago I was in a local pawn shop and noticed they had a large number of used G22/23 models. They said the local PD had gone over to .45 GAP and they got the trade-ins. I've no idea if that's true or not but I have no reason to believe it isn't. On another occasion, seems like it was around the time Obama was re-elected I was in Sportsman's Warehouse and the shelves were pretty much empty of ammo except for a large stack of Winchester .45 GAP.

With the recent posts about Federal LEO dropping the .40 S&W and going back to the 9x19 I got to thinking about the other calibers that were supposedly the be all, do all cartridge for law enforcement. Not sure the .45 GAP was ever billed in quite those words but like the .357 SIG it was supposedly the answer to a question someone must have asked. Anyone have a .45 GAP firearm and or know of an agency that actually carries/issues it?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

The Springfield XD came in .45 GAP, I had one before the .45ACP version came out. Then traded it in for the .45ACP. It was nice to have a .45 that fit in the smaller grip/magwell, but you lost out on capacity.
    I am the master of my fate
    I am the captain of my soul

"(The Second Amendment) isn't a law but an enumerated right, a right that we cannot allow to be corralled to make politicians and ant-gun fanatics happy." ~Old Grump

Interesting. I haven't researched it but figured Glock was probably the only one to chamber a firearm in this caliber. I guess that SA might acquire some collector value in the future. Probably not a huge amount but folks like things that are different.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    PA state police used .45 gap glocks briefly but has since moved on.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Thought about getting one but decided against it because of the niche / fringe aspects of it.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

every few years another great cartridge that is going to finally be the "be all, end all" round that cures the deficiencies of all other rounds that have come before it with none of the drawbacks comes around (like the 45 gap) and 10 times out of 10, after a year or 2, you never hear of them again, and, god forbid you actually bought one, finding ammo becomes the search for the holy grail.

until its been around for at least 20 years, im not buying into it. (the only exception to this in my collection would be the 17hmr. they had only been out about 10 years when i bought mine.)

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    every few years another great cartridge that is going to finally be the "be all, end all" round that cures the deficiencies of all other rounds that have come before it with none of the drawbacks comes around (like the 45 gap) and 10 times out of 10, after a year or 2, you never hear of them again, and, god forbid you actually bought one, finding ammo becomes the search for the holy grail.

until its been around for at least 20 years, im not buying into it. (the only exception to this in my collection would be the 17hmr. they had only been out about 10 years when i bought mine.)
    That's pretty much how I see it as well. The only exception really is the 10mm. It kind of caught on but them slipped to a niche round which was hard to find both in ammo and in shooting platforms but over the last couple of years it seems to be making a comeback with more factory ammo choices and platforms like the new Sig offering as well as the new Glock 40 and I think Rock Island is now offering a couple of models.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

What's wrong with 357 sig. I thought a number of police departments used it

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Even then it's not a guarantee that a particular cartridge will stick around. If Hornady didn't make .35 Remington, a once-popular hunting cartridge, I wouldn't have anything to feed the .35 Remington Marlin my late father passed down to me. I rarely come across .35 ammo. The best guarantee for a cartridge to stick around for a while is widespread military adoption, IMO (9mm, .45ACP, for example).
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    What's wrong with 357 sig. I thought a number of police departments used it
    a lot of them dropped it due to overall cost of ammo .

PA dropped the GAP mostly due to glock not really supporting it much after the purchase, + the fact with other more readily available improvements on common caliber handgun ammunition why play with something that might go on the wayside after a year or 2.

only advantage is if you wanted to quickly convert a 9mm subgun without much work, the shorter 45 gap makes this pretty easy.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Come to think of it though, if you were to come across a .45 gap at a bargain price it wouldn't be that hard to feed it. There's plenty of .45 acp brass with small pistol primers that you could trim down.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

This is why I never seriously looked at any gun in .40.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Was thinking if I ran into some cheap 45 GAP I could run it in my 45 ACP revolvers on Moon clips
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Was thinking if I ran into some cheap 45 GAP I could run it in my 45 ACP revolvers on Moon clips
    http://www.jgsales.com/45hp-not-45ac....-p-92451.html

That's a great price! Thanks. I'm gonna look at ordering some of that.

Their shipping is kind of high but maybe it's because I'm so far away being in VA. The shipping they quoted turns an $8 box of ammo into an $11 box. It sucks that they wan $32 to ship $80 worth of ammo. Still $0.22 per round isn't as bad as that's about 1/2 the price of other .45 ACP ammo before shipping. I'm gonna see if anyone else closer to me has it for sale.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 08-10-2016 at 06:29 PM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    That's a great price! Thanks. I'm gonna look at ordering some of that.

Their shipping is kind of high but maybe it's because I'm so far away being in VA. The shipping they quoted turns an $8 box of ammo into an $11 box. It sucks that they wan $32 to ship $80 worth of ammo. Still $0.22 per round isn't as bad as that's about 1/2 the price of other .45 ACP ammo before shipping. I'm gonna see if anyone else closer to me has it for sale.

Oh man, wish I had that Smith 625 Performance Center I was drooling over a few years ago.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I think the 45 Gap is an excellent round and makes a lot of sense but it is hobbled by the lack of popularity. If it were as popular as 9mm, 40S&W or 45ACP, then I'd have one most likely.

To me, the 40 S&W makes the most sense for carry. 9mm sized frame, reasonable mag capacity, great performance and a shit load of ammo available due to LEO use and overall popularity.

I carry a G23.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~