Thread: I want one of these

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

I want one of these

I don't know much about simple personal aircraft like in this video, but I do know they don't cost a lot and there is no pilot's license needed. Anyone ever mess around with Ultralites or paragliders?

The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

A friend of mine has an ultralite and he loves it. Don't know how many hours he's put on it, but he says he's spent a lot of time in the air.

I'll stick to motorcycles and stay close to the ground.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

I e looked into getting a powered parachute paraglider. I plan on getting one someday but I don't have the time or the available area close by to not make it a chore.
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

My only experience is with hangliders. parasails were just coming into existence when i quit flying. They didn't look safe to me then, but neither did my kite to any of my friends.
    If i was a young man i would definitely try it. They must be safe or you would have to wear something more than casual street clothes, the flip flops must save weight and let you feel the freedom of the wind through your toes

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    My only experience is with hangliders. parasails were just coming into existence when i quit flying. They didn't look safe to me then, but neither did my kite to any of my friends.
    If i was a young man i would definitely try it. They must be safe or you would have to wear something more than casual street clothes, the flip flops must save weight and let you feel the freedom of the wind through your toes
    Hummm, you can get the same feeling with your bare foot in front of a fan. Much safer, too.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I kept waiting for a Wile E. Coyote splat.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Using an aircraft like the one in the video I posted would be a great tool for pig hunting. Instead of a selfie stick the feller in the front can be armed with a boom stick.

I did some pricing on a motorized paraglider - they are more expensive then I thought. Sounds like about $7000 will get someone up in the air. Still way cheaper and less of a hassle than a Cessna.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I've always thought those were uber-cool. I seem to remember seeing the first ones here back in the 80's...my in-laws lived in a rural area and we used to see them flying over the corn & bean fields.

The one drawback would be if you have a hard landing it would really be hard.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

I looked into those a little when I first moved here
    I liked the idea of having a parachute in case the engine went out
    There was a small fly in airshow at our airport at the time where all types of aircraft would show up through the day
    I talked with one of the pilots who used to have one
    He switched to a "gyrocopter" because you can get way more air time due to fuel capacity

I don't have either, I think I'll stick to a car these days
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe