Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weapons of Opportunity

The Cold Steel City canes are just that, a cane. They came with a choice of 3 solid steel tops. The city cane was something like 12 layers of rolled fiberglass and these things were virtually indestructible. I got my brother one.

There are things called Tactical pens. These things are solid anodized aluminum and have a pen part that screws in/out. That same end is pointed and the rear has that circular sharp thing for pressing against skin and twisting.
    They are just pens. But people "in the know" will recognize it if going through security.

Some cities outlaw the possession of mace or pepper spray but not oven cleaner.

Then there are some keychains that look like EDC tools but they work like a brass knuckles type of device.
    Do a Google Image search of "Kitty Cat keychain" There are a few variations including plastic. There is also a bulldog version.

BISHOP
    Last edited by BISHOP; 08-21-2016 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I have been thinking about this since I read about the guy getting knifed on a DC Metro...
    If you are talking about the brutal murder of Kevin Sutherland this was a case of "chickens coming home to roost" since Sutherland was a big time gun control advocate who had worked as a staffer for a pro gun control liberal Congressman. I guess he found out the hard way that as a close range offensive weapon a knife works as well as a gun. Racism was another one of Sutherland's apparent concerns so it is ironical he was killed by a black man who after stabbing Sutherland 30-40 times and then stomping on him approached other passengers telling them "give me what you got."

Most people are in DC for one reason, i.e., to work and working often means passing through a security checkpoint. At a minimum, this means being subjected to a metal detector, but also possibly being subject to inspection of any briefcase, purse, etc., or even a pat down in the event of a terror alert. This really limits options. Best bet IMHO is a pencil carried in a shirt pocket for a quick draw - and then placed in a briefcase prior to a security inspection. If stabbed into an eye socket a pencil would possibly be effective in some attacks. If appropriate to the weather conditions an umbrella with a pointed end can be carried without generating any attention at a security checkpoint. Like with the pencil, the target would be an eye socket. Another possibility would be a medium size glass bottle (containing something acceptable for work) that possibly could be broken and used as a weapon, e.g., like Burt Lancaster did in the movie "From Here to Eternity." Of course there is always martial arts expertise if one has that sort of skill set -- but IMHO martial arts will not be effective against real world knife attacks. The reality is it is best to stay out of DC or be prepared to "give it up" whatever that might require.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfk-JTdQ_0I
    Last edited by jet3534; 08-21-2016 at 08:13 PM.

I have one of these I bought in the 80's.
    The spike is spring steel and locks into the shaft of the umbrella. There is a ball joint that releases the handle and its lockable so someone else can mess with the umbrella and not find the spike.

BISHOP

Here is another idea.
    http://unbreakableumbrella.com/
    Its just an umbrella

BISHOP.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BISHOP View Post
    Here is another idea.
    http://unbreakableumbrella.com/
    Its just an umbrella

BISHOP.
    Now, if that umbrella were like the one shown in The Kingsman: The Secret Service, that would be the perfect weapon.

The umbrella is shown at 1:47.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I have been thinking about this since I read about the guy getting knifed on a DC Metro. Actually, I have thought about it since before then but I have become more serious about it since that happened. Then, during another thread on this site someone brought up self-defense when in places where law abiding citizens are denied their Second Amendment rights and I thought this would be a good place to discuss this.

What are some good weapons of opportunity that are found almost anywhere? So, since the guy was knifed on the Metro I have looked around and I know where the emergency stop switches are in the cars (thinking this could throw the guy off balance) and I know where the fire extinguishers are (enabling me to shoot the extinguishing agent at the threat to momentarily blind/choke them, and then use the extinguisher as a club).

What are some other things that are commonly found that can be used to defend yourself and others if attacked?

M1911.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Woogiebear View Post
    Maybe not a weapon of opportunity, but I know that there are many public places, like train and subway stations, that have AEDs mounted on the walls. Most of the ones that I have come across have alarms over them and are also attached to an alert system that will bring emergency personnel. Worst case you could beat the assailant with the AED (they weigh about 7-10 pounds) until more people arrive. If all goes well a cop will show up. Not ideal, but an option.

OMG That's funny! When the cops show up is when the real trouble starts. Nobody in their right mind calls a cop intentionally.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    M1911.
    As Jet explained very well above, carrying a concealed weapon is not always an option. I wish it were. I was even told that I could not carry a weapon (a Swiss Army knife with a 1" blade, a screw driver, and a file) after it was caught by the metal detector at the Washington Monument. When we can carry the option is easy, when we cannot, the options have to be more imaginative.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    If you are talking about the brutal murder of Kevin Sutherland this was a case of "chickens coming home to roost" since Sutherland was a big time gun control advocate who had worked as a staffer for a pro gun control liberal Congressman. I guess he found out the hard way that as a close range offensive weapon a knife works as well as a gun. Racism was another one of Sutherland's apparent concerns so it is ironical he was killed by a black man who after stabbing Sutherland 30-40 times and then stomping on him approached other passengers telling them "give me what you got."
    I am. I didn't know anything about Kevin Sutherland before he was killed and I doubt that the murderer did either. My concern is not the political stance of the individual, but having a plan in case I am in a position to intervene in the future. And since I ride on Metro regularly and go into DC at least once a month his murder, in a car full of people who didn't know what to do was alarming.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

At around 3:02 of this classic video, there is a good example of how to use a large mid 90s cell phone as an improvised weapon. Unfortunately, I don't think modern phones have the same capacity to inflict damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV8A7jCf4Cg

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Someone needs to make a small aerosol can of skunk scent. That will turn almost anyone, or anything, away and leave a lasting scent trail for the police to follow.... and the perp will have to find somewhere else to bed down because I doubt his homeys will want him around smelling like that....can't go home smelling like a skunk.
    I like that idea!!

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Metal detectors pick up metal objects. There are glass filled Nylon dagger like devices out there, seen them at gun shows. Only good for stabbing naturally but they will poke a bigger hole than a Pen.
    https://www.amazon.com/1-X-Heart-Att...s=punch+knives

http://www.budk.com/Cold-Steel-FGX-B...sh-Dagger-1366

Don't they call those things "punch knives"? The ones I remember seeing only go in about 2" with a width about the same and a thickness of about 1/4". I have read that the "glass-filled" types are hard enough to puncture the sternum in the chest making it possible to reach the heart.
    Last edited by JTHunter; 08-24-2016 at 09:24 PM.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12