Thread: Did anyone notice the Carbine the Woman Leader was carrying in Fear the Walking Dead?

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Did anyone notice the Carbine the Woman Leader was carrying in Fear the Walking Dead?

I am not sure but, I think it may have been one of those fake Tanker Garand's from 1984. It looked like an M-1 with Shorter Barrel.
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I have it on DVR, I'll check into it.

Thumbs up

Thanks, at first I thought it was a German G-43, then I thought it was an SKS, then as I looked at it on her Shoulder, it appeared to be an M-1, but the Barrel was too Short, Then I recalled that Fake Tanker Garand that came out in the Summer of 1984, with Shorter Barrel. Sort of like the fake Mitchells Mauser M-63. Paul
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Looks like a shortened mini 14 to me. Look at the front sight and the bolt going through the stock by the receiver...

Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    Looks like a shortened mini 14 to me. Look at the front sight and the bolt going through the stock by the receiver...

Finally, someone with a brain!

You posted a screen cap so that others can actually see what people are talking about, and 2, you're right about it being a chopped barrel Mini 14

ac-556k with scruffed up wood, really just looks like a scrapped together prop gun.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    ac-556k with scruffed up wood, really just looks like a scrapped together prop gun.
    Never knew they existed until you just mentioned it. Watched a few youtube vids. Cool little carbine

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    Never knew they existed until you just mentioned it. Watched a few youtube vids. Cool little carbine
    The weird thing about the show is that they have the OLD style Ruger Mini 14 blade front sight on the AC556K barrel. No one ever does that. It was a totally weird thing to do, and that supports the idea that it may be a mockup (though I have not watched the show I don't know if it fires or not).

Thanks to all, I had forgotten about the Mini-14. Why they could not just give her regular Firearm is unknown! I have never see an AC556K if someone has a detailed Photo of it Please post. Is this a Kit Gun?

this is what it's supposed to look like.

PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

Guns on Walking Dead is a whole thing on it's own. Season 1 made it look like the only gun sin GA were some revolvers and hunting shotguns. Then in later seasons it's all sorts of full auto machine guns - including The Governor with a Steyr AUG. We've seen a Moisin Nagant M44. I'm waiting for someone to rock a WWII MP40 or modern German G36.

Quote Originally Posted by T2K View Post
    Guns on Walking Dead is a whole thing on it's own. Season 1 made it look like the only gun sin GA were some revolvers and hunting shotguns. Then in later seasons it's all sorts of full auto machine guns - including The Governor with a Steyr AUG. We've seen a Moisin Nagant M44. I'm waiting for someone to rock a WWII MP40 or modern German G36.
    Despite how good a show is, NEVER TRUST a LIBERAL SCREENWRITER from Los Angeles to accurately portray gun laws and usage in the United States.

On that show LONGMIRE, which is set in Wyoming .... a sheriff deputy in one episode threatened to arrest a woman for OPEN CARRY of a revolver on her own RANCH in the middle of nowhere, saying that she didn't have a permit for her gun. In Fucking WYOMING....... That little bit of propaganda pissed me off. Even in Commiefornia, if you're on your own land and you own 40 acres of wilderness, no damned cop can arrest you for open carrying on your own property in the middle of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    this is what it's supposed to look like.

OMG!!!!! The "thing that goes up over the shoulder"!

Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Fake? You mean that there are real tanker garand's? I had my hands on two of them, they felt real.

Quote Originally Posted by shorthair View Post
    Fake? You mean that there are real tanker garand's? I had my hands on two of them, they felt real.
    I am sure he means "not authentic".

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

Don't even get me started on Longmier (sp?)!

"It's ok, he's got a permit for the gun." and "Is that pistol registered?" and stuff like that all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by T2K View Post
    Don't even get me started on Longmier (sp?)!

"It's ok, he's got a permit for the gun." and "Is that pistol registered?" and stuff like that all day long.
    The crazy thing is that Hollywood script writers have been doing that since the 1960s. I saw a NIGHT GALLERY episode with George Maharis where the character needed "a special permit from the police chief to purchase a handgun in California" ...... WTF??? in the early 1970s?!?!?!?!?

Yes they were real Weapons, but made up by some Company I forgot in the Summer of 1984. Either they made new ones with Shorter Barrels, or Cut them down, Like Mitchells Mausers did with their Fake M-63 Short Barrel Kar-98K That is what I meant by fake. Paul

numrich sold a lot of the 'tanker' stuff. they still had kits/parts until about 2007.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!