Thread: Range Report for my new Savage Axis .243 win

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Cool Range Report for my new Savage Axis .243 win

For those that were curious.

I was able to pop out for a quick shoot this morning but unfortunately forgot my camera. I will hopefully not forget it the next time. I used standard factory Winchester brand 100 grain soft points from Walmart (silver box). It took me 4 shots to get the scope dialled in (bore sighted in store) and then i fired 3 more for grouping. The final group was about the size of a half dollar at 100 yards. I am confident I can do better with this rifle, with some practice but overall for a deer hunting rifle i am happy.

My only gripes are, the trigger is very heavy but it does has a clean predictable break and the detachable magazine feels very cheap. The rifle is a very good bargain for someone wanting a bolt action hunting rifle.

The scope i am using is a cheap Simmonds 3-9...
    Last edited by rci2950; 08-23-2016 at 02:39 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Need photos.

that mag feels cheap but it will hold up.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    For those that were curious.

I was able to pop out for a quick shoot this morning but unfortunately forgot my camera. I will hopefully not forget it the next time. I used standard factory Winchester brand 100 grain soft points from Walmart (silver box). It took me 4 shots to get the scope dialled in (bore sighted in store) and then i fired 3 more for grouping. The final group was about the size of a half dollar at 100 yards. I am confident I can do better with this rifle, with some practice but overall for a deer hunting rifle i am happy.

My only gripes are, the trigger is very heavy but it does has a clean predictable break and the detachable magazine feels very cheap. The rifle is a very good bargain for someone wanting a bolt action hunting rifle.

The scope i am using is a cheap Simmonds 3-9...
    I had a Simmons 3-9x on my savage .338 win. mag for years, not the best optical quality, but it held together through a 150 or so rounds, my friend has it on his mini-14

I bought a left handed Savage Model 11 trophy hunter in .308 back in February. I'm looking forward to taking it out this year for black bear and whitetail hunting. I'm surprised yours came with a somewhat cheap Simmons scope. Mine came with a pretty nice Nikon scope right out of the box.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    I bought a left handed Savage Model 11 trophy hunter in .308 back in February. I'm looking forward to taking it out this year for black bear and whitetail hunting. I'm surprised yours came with a somewhat cheap Simmons scope. Mine came with a pretty nice Nikon scope right out of the box.

It was a store made deal/combination... Nikon makes a really nice scope.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Just out of curiosity, did you have any feeding problems with your rifle rci? Mine just seems kinda stiff; I'm thinking it might be because it's new.