Thread: Day at the Range With Alismith

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Day at the Range With Alismith

Ali doesn't live to far from me and he asked me up to do some shooting with a friend of his. We had a some handguns (9mm Glocks, P-38 (Russian war capture), .45 LC, .45 derringer, and a .25 ACP) and some rifles, (.22, .30 Carbine, 9mm, .45 LC, 45-70, and some 7.62x39 (a Ruger Mini-14 and some AKs). Ali let me shoot the 45-70. It kicks like a mule and is by far the gun with the most kick I have ever shot! It definitely has some attitude! Actually we shot some of each.

It was a nice sunny day as you will see. Here is the range at Ali's friends farm. We had targets at 15, 20, 25, 50 and 100 yards besides have a couple of reactive targets.

Ali had an old lever action .22, made about 1900 or so. That thing was accurate! I was able to shoot empty 12 ga. shells off a board at about 20 yards with it with no problem, with open sights! It was dead on.

We also were able to compare his new M1-9 and my M1 Carbine. The both shot well, though you could tell the M1-9 was breaking in. The M1-9 seemed to like the regular Beretta mags better than the extended ones.

Here are some targets that I shot with the M1 Carbine. This one was 10 rounds off the bench at 50 yards. The target is a 12" target.

Here is 13 round off the bench at 100 yards. These next two targets are 17.75". The other holes in the paper, if you look are from the other side. I had peeled the target and stuck it to the board at 100 yards, which didn't work out well so I then stapled it. To take the picture, though, I put the target on a paper we were using for other targets.

Last, here is 15 rounds, standing off-hand, 100 yards. You'll notice that I learned my lesson from the first target and didn't peel it. When I took it down I still used one of the closer paper backgrounds for the picture, though, hence the other holes. The target was shot when stapled to a plywood board at the 100 yard line.

After we were done with the rifles and handguns we shot some trap. We all did pretty well at that. I hit the last 5 targets thrown for me which I was pretty excited about. Normally I get to about 4 and miss one. To hit 5 in a row was pretty cool.

All in all, a great day. I want to thank Ali for inviting me and being so free with his ammunition and his guns. He has a pretty cool variety (though I don't think I will shoot that 45-70 again!)
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Beat me to it. Just finished posting my thread and I saw yours. Glad you remembered most of what we had to shoot. Glad you had a good time. I think we all had fun and it was a very good day for shooting.

Now, we'll have to wait for the hunting seasons to get over with so we can go back one more time before you leave for the West Coast.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Nice shooting!
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Here is one of Ali shooting his 45-70. Pretty gun.

"Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Looks like you shot your carbine as well if not a tad better offhand. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Looks like you shot your carbine as well if not a tad better offhand. Nice!
    Thanks. The grouping when I was on the bench was a little better but both from the bench and offhand I was able to keep everything in the black of a 17.25" circle. Not unhappy with that.

NRA Endowment Member

Looks like a great day!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Always more fun to shoot with friends!
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Always more fun to shoot with friends!
    This!

It is great to see members getting together to shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    It is great to see members getting together to shoot!
    It would be great if you could come. I expect it is a little too far for you to drive to though, especially with the amount you work. We are hoping that we can do this one more time before I leave for the West Coast. I'll have Ali pm you when we have a time and see if you can do it.

NRA Endowment Member