Thread: Sunday's Shoot 8/28/16

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Sunday's Shoot 8/28/16

Here's some photos and info about our shoot this past Sunday.

The weather was perfect with a slight breeze and no bugs.

We had a steel flip target at about 12 yds., a thin, steel bell at about 15 yds., one paper target at 25 yds., another paper target at 50 yds., and 4 paper targets on the berm at about 100 yds.

Here's one of the target stands ready to go. (Yes, I corrected the slightly lopsided target before we shot.)

We had quite an assortment of guns with us. Here's a few.

KelTec KSG, Taurus Thunderbolt, and the Chiappa M1-9.

Here's some more: Upright: an old Marlin Model 99 , an original Marlin Model 39, and my AES-108.

I think this was Doc shooting Chuck's M1 Carbine. That carbine has excellent accuracy. Chuck shot it, offhand, at 100 yrs. and hit two bullseyes.

Here's Chuck shooting the Marlin 39.

This is Chuck shooting my Marlin 1894 Guide Gun. This gun was a total surprise. I've fired .45-70's before, but they never kicked like this gun did. The concussive force of the blast was enough to shatter windows and it felt like someone hitting you in the shoulder with a sledge hammer. Twice was enough for both Chuck and me. Doc chickened out. I was shooting Hornady Leverevolution ammo it. That might have had something to do with it. If so, that stuff is pretty hot.

We fired the Thumderbolt without a hitch. As fast as you could work the action she'd pump out .45 LC's all day. This gun was a pleasure to shoot. It's heavy enough that recoil is almost nonexistent. The magazine will hold 15 cartridges.

The AMD-65 was a pleasure to shoot, too. Little recoil and not as loud as I was expecting.

Pietta 1873 Colt .45 as another gun that was pleasant shooting. Since it doesn't have adjustable sights, we were using a lot of Kentucky windage.

Chuck's trying out my Bond Arms .45/.410. It's hard to see in this pic, but it's there. This is really a belly gun as the accuracy out to 10 yrs. sucked.

Doc's shooting my Hi-Point carbine in 9mm. This gun functioned flawlessly and was accurate.

And, the wimpiest gun we had, a Sterling .25 auto. It ran without a hitch, but what's the point? Still fun to shoot, though.

These are most of the photos I took yesterday and Chuck has some he took, so he may post his here if he wants to.

All in all, we had a lot of fun. Since we only had a little over 3 hours to shoot before Doc had to go, and we had quite a few guns, we didn't really shoot that much for accuracy. Many of the guns I brought, I had never fired before and wanted to see how well they functioned.

The Chiappa M1-9 did a fair job. I believe most, if not all the feeding problems were for two reasons: The gun,itself, wasn't broken in, it was a little stiff cycling; and, it worked great with the 10 rnd. mags, but the 20 rnd, mag had a few problems feeding. I think this was due to the fact that it was super stiff when I loaded it, even with the mag loader I was using. Gotta work on that mag and then I'll try it again. Helen Keller had the right idea. I need to shoot the hell out of it to break it in. However, it was fairly accurate right out of the box.

My mini-30 functioned flawlessly with the factory mag, but had a couple of feeding glitches with the after market 10 rnd. I had.

Chuck's P-38 was a sweet shooter.

The biggest surprise was with my Guide Gun. That thing kicked like a mule and was loud as hell (even with hearing protectors on).

We finished up our shooting with a few clay birds. We shot trap and even a few skeet. Just before we had to leave, Chuck was just starting to come into his own. When we first started out, none of us could hit shit, but started to improve as we settled in.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Looks like a lot of fun!

Lots of cool guns there. Wish I had bought one of those Romanian RPK's when they were being sold for $399. I'd also like to have a KSG one day, sooner than later I hope. And I must say, the Taurus clone of the Colt Lightning looks pretty sweet.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Looks like a great place to shoot and what a beautiful day for it
    That .45-70 does look like an ass kicker
    The only one I've shot was one of those heavy, long barrel, set trigger buffalo type rifles
    Nice set up there
    Last edited by Full Otto; 08-30-2016 at 09:23 AM.
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

The last time I fired a 45-70 was 40 years ago and I knew then that was the last time.
    The things are a beast and meant for the really big stuff Bears, Moose n stuff.

But glad you had fun.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Nice place you have to shoot at. Always good to see people having fun with firearms. I like that Thunderbolt rifle, 15 rounds of 45 LC you say.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 09-01-2016 at 06:03 AM.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Nice place you have to shoot at. Always good to see people having fun with firearms. I like that Lightening rifle, 15 rounds of 45 LC you say.
    Accurate and fun to shoot as well. It reminded me of the rifle Danny Glover used in "Silverado".
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Thanks for the great pics & reminding me I gotta get out soon & spend some quality time with my loud toys.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Looks like a great time!