Thread: Darwin Award! - Tampa man testing bulletproof vest dies after cousin shoots him

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post Darwin Award! - Tampa man testing bulletproof vest dies after cousin shoots him

After today, it's all historical.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post

Actually NOT a DARWIN award. THE MAN'S cousin is a killer douchebag.

The witness said that the victim Joaquin Mendez, 23, sat in a chair and put on a bulletproof vest. He wondered out loud whether it still worked. Garibaldi took out a handgun, stated “Let’s see,” and shot at the vest. The vest was found in the house with a projectile entrance hole, according to TPD.
    So if I try on an old ballistic vest (perhaps even just a plate carrier) and I wonder aloud if it still works, it's not MY fault if I have an inbred cousin who is so stupid that, without warning, he whips out a handgun and shoots me with it. That's the death sentence of having STUPID COUSINS.

I have relatives that dumb, I'm sad to say in Tennessee, so I'm not going to make a Darwin joke.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

If anything they should have put the vest on a sack of potatoes or something to fire at it. Tank monkey is right. This is a negligent death charge at minimum.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

Guess they are right......Kevlar expires after 5 years!!!!!!'
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Morris View Post
    Guess they are right......Kevlar expires after 5 years!!!!!!'
    Dan
    Depends on the Vest. But yes, Kevlar DOES have a shelf life. It doesn't become completely useless but it's stopping power can no longer be guaranteed. I've seen morons take Army Surplus PASGT Vests from the 1980s and think that they will stop Rifle rounds. Those were mostly for grenade or IED shrapnel and smaller calibers. I wouldn't risk taking a 9mm while wearing one of those old PASGT vests. Not enough info in the article, go figure.