Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any ideas for controlling chipmunks?

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Any ideas for controlling chipmunks?

The chipmunk population around my home is nuts (no pun intended). Until this year, they would burrow all through the mulch and landscaping. This past summer I solved that issue by replacing the mulch with 7 tons of river rock. Now they're burrowing underneath the one corner of the foundation of the attached garage and it's pissing me off big time. I have killed dozens of the bastards this year by shooting them as well as trapping them with mouse traps and sticky traps. I tried the water-in-bucket trap but it didn't work since the squirrels and raccoons kept knocking the ramps off of it and eating the bait.

I have even dumped mouse poison down this hole and I'm still getting fresh dirt piled up on the drive way on a daily basis. Any ideas? I have a crazy idea of dumping bleach and ammonia down the hole at night and sealing it off as a last resort before I call an exterminator.

Here's the front corner of the garage. There's a hole behind the wood at the bottom and another hole up top around the corner in the yard next to the foundation. Every day I clean up the dirt off the drive and I get all this piled up, which leads me to believe there's quite the labyrinthine in there.

The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Get some of those cyanide gas flare bomb things that you can use on moles. Light em, shove em in the hole then plug the entrance.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

After today, it's all historical.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    Thanks. I've tried everything except for repellents. I may try repellents if mustard gas doesn't work. Little commie bastards.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

live trap them and let them go in the park
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    Are you implying that the chipmunks are for Hitlery?

If so, they've got to go....

All my chipmunks know better. They're for Trump.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

No, no I just think her face is a great repellant

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    No, no I just think her face is a great repellant
    It repels me, that's for sure.

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

On a more serious note I did find this but sounds like you've tried some of the same
    May help

http://pestkill.org/rodents/chipmunks/
    If you are a desperate person who feels a chipmunk is destroying your walls, attic, yard or the house, this information is exactly for you.

I've used those smoke bombs and like them but some of the tunnels were into my crawl space and seeped in a little
    Enough to do in our cat at the time so be aware of that

Living near woods and fields I have had rodent issues from time to time. I have generally found that having a couple of cats equals a lot of dead rodents. Of course then you have to accept the dead song birds, etc. that go along with this solution. I had a Chow mix dog once that was very good at killing rodents, either in the yard or the house. rodents like moles, etc. in the yard would be dig up and any mice that got in the house would be hunted down and killed. She was pretty good at ground hog killing also. Sometimes a groundhog would get under my fence to get at the tomatoes and my dog would alway be on it like white on rice.

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    Living near woods and fields I have had rodent issues from time to time. I have generally found that having a couple of cats equals a lot of dead rodents. Of course then you have to accept the dead song birds, etc. that go along with this solution. I had a Chow mix dog once that was very good at killing rodents, either in the yard or the house. rodents like moles, etc. in the yard would be dig up and any mice that got in the house would be hunted down and killed. She was pretty good at ground hog killing also. Sometimes a groundhog would get under my fence to get at the tomatoes and my dog would alway be on it like white on rice.
    I had a Chow-Shepherd mix and she was great at digging moles in the yard. The only problem was, when she finished digging and catching the mole, her "dig" looked like a small IED went off. Not sure what was worse, the moles or her craters.

Freedom isn't free.

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

you might try flooding them out with a garden hose. we used to kill rats this way. stomp 'em, hit 'em, stab 'em, or let the dog get 'em.

What's that game where you pave over the areas the enemy is likely to send its mining machines? A few inches of asphalt would do to protect the affected area.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

5 gallon bucket half full of water with a lid on it.

run a 2" pipe out the side near the top.
    bury it up to the pipe.

these fuckers cannot resist a pipe.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

I would just live trap it. A lot easier, less chance to getting a dead animal somewhere you don't want it. BUT If you just want to kill it. Stick a drier vent hose on your exhaust pipe and put the other end in the hole. Run your engine for 10 minutes. Easy. No poisons for your pets to get into. No floods.

My father has also successfully used rat traps with a smear of peanut butter on it.
    Last edited by rci2950; 10-14-2016 at 01:31 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Thanks for the input, fellas!
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    5 gallon bucket half full of water with a lid on it.

run a 2" pipe out the side near the top.
    bury it up to the pipe.

these fuckers cannot resist a pipe.
    I may try this - the coons, deer, and squirrels won't be able to mess this up like the regular bucket trap.
    Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    I would just live trap it. A lot easier, less chance to getting a dead animal somewhere you don't want it. BUT If you just want to kill it. Stick a drier vent hose on your exhaust pipe and put the other end in the hole. Run your engine for 10 minutes. Easy. No poisons for your pets to get into. No floods.

My father has also successfully used rat traps with a smear of peanut butter on it.
    I have live traps, but I would just end up shooting them or drowning them any way so I haven't been using them. I'm a ruthless warrior in this never-ending battle and I'm not taking any prisoners. I've gotten dozens with mouse traps and sticky traps baited with peanut butter and seeds, though. When they get caught on the sticky traps I just stomp on their heads - instant painless death.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I had a Chow-Shepherd mix and she was great at digging moles in the yard. The only problem was, when she finished digging and catching the mole, her "dig" looked like a small IED went off. Not sure what was worse, the moles or her craters.

This is exactly what my dog would do, i.e., dig a serious hole to get at moles. How was your Chow around other dogs? My Chow was OK around some male dogs, but if not restrained would fight (or attempt to fight) any female dog she came in contact with.

This is a little off topic, but the discussion of live trapping rodents jogged a memory. During the Bush administration a Cabinet level Secretary at the agency where I worked became aware that rats were being trapped in the basement, i.e., he was in the basement and saw rat traps. He then ordered that the rats were to be live trapped and not killed. This same individual would sometimes conduct random office inspections. If he found someone with a messy desk he would berate them and threaten to have them put in the basement with the rats. One of my employees once received an office inspection from the Secretary who was accompanied by W. Bush. She had a very neat office and desk and therefore for her the visit was a pleasant experience. There are a lot of rats in DC. Lafayette park across the street from the White House is full of rats in the early AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    This is exactly what my dog would do, i.e., dig a serious hole to get at moles. How was your Chow around other dogs? My Chow was OK around some male dogs, but if not restrained would fight (or attempt to fight) any female dog she came in contact with.
    Mine wasn't crazy about other dogs, male or female. Little ones were mostly okay, but she always growled around bigger ones. She took down a Chesapeake Retriever one day. He offered her a challenge and she accepted. As she was running towards him, I figured, oh shit, he's bigger then she is. Just before she reached him, she ducked, hit him low, came up under his head, and had him upside down with her teeth in his throat. Then she just stayed there, with her teeth in his throat daring him to move. I got her off of him and we continued our walk around the neighborhood. The Retriever never bothered us again after that.

While she lived, this neighborhood was hers.

Freedom isn't free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast