Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I ordered some traps.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

I ordered some traps.

They are pretty inexpensive. I ordered 4 mink size, four rabbit size, and four coon size. With free shipping, it came to 107.00. I live in the sticks, and figure they could come in handy if the deer hunting doesn't hold up in the long run.
    L and M Fleet Supply has them if you are interested.

A pellet rifle for small birds/other animals would go with that.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Never hurts to have multiple means for procuring dinner!
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Philosophically, I don't like traps. They will gather dust until we are hungry enough to need them.

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    Philosophically, I don't like traps. They will gather dust until we are hungry enough to need them.
    I agree with you 100%.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

I have traps, small and live traps. Just let a mouse go today.

Cody Lundin said the big rat traps are great for catching small game for survival. He was referring mostly to rats. Ew

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

i have a small roll of 7x7 cable and a bag of ferrules. very cheap and in shtf can make SEVERAL snares, as well as having many other uses.

i also have some foot traps and conibear traps, but for "prepping", imo, cable + knowledge = better. cheaper, easy to find, takes up very little space, and has alternate uses if needed.

I have already used the 2 sizes I have to reduce the surplus population of both squirrels and raccoons. The squirrels were finished with a pellet rifle at point blank (3-4") while the 'coon needed a "quiet" .22 @ 4-6".

Now, if I could just figure how to get the groundhogs digging the rock base out from under my polebarn. So far, they have ignored lettuce, cabbage, apples, peanut butter, dry dog food, etc.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Cody Lundin said the big rat traps are great for catching small game for survival. He was referring mostly to rats. Ew
    Stuffed mouse/rat was considered a delicacy in ancient Rome. Of course, they also had small rooms called the vomitorium in large villas, just off the dinning room. As you expected, this small room was used to hurl in so one could continue feasting for hours.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Stuffed mouse/rat was considered a delicacy in ancient Rome. Of course, they also had small rooms called the vomitorium in large villas, just off the dinning room. As you expected, this small room was used to hurl in so one could continue feasting for hours.

It would be interesting to see how the Romans would react to the introduction of modern drugs into their society.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    It would be interesting to see how the Romans would react to the introduction of modern drugs into their society.
    Drug use in Rome was huge, opium, hash, they had it all but the modern synthetic stuff. Also, they used lead piping, especially in the villas and palaces of the well to do, wich might explain why some of the rich were quite mad. In the movie The Gladiator when the princess makes the drink for Commodus, that was one such drug. They had apothecaries just like we do, and poisons of various types were available to the rich, it seems only poison was illegal in Rome, all other drugs were allowed.
    Anyway, rat/mouse recipes may soon be back in vogue. I'd rather eat pigeon.
    Last edited by 5.56NATO; 10-17-2016 at 11:30 AM.

Team GunsNet Gold 03/2014

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    I have already used the 2 sizes I have to reduce the surplus population of both squirrels and raccoons. The squirrels were finished with a pellet rifle at point blank (3-4") while the 'coon needed a "quiet" .22 @ 4-6".

Now, if I could just figure how to get the groundhogs digging the rock base out from under my polebarn. So far, they have ignored lettuce, cabbage, apples, peanut butter, dry dog food, etc.

Try marshmallows. I know they are great bait for racoons.

A crossbow would be fun to add to the traps and air rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner1558 View Post
    Try marshmallows. I know they are great bait for raccoons.
    Thanks for the tip Gunner. I'll give it a try!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Well they arrived. Man, I gotta say, setting one of these conibears is daunting. Especially the 330s. Jeez, if your hand ever gets in the way, you're not gonna have a good day.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

ive never tried them, but they make a tool for that. it, to me, essentially looks like a giant pair of pliers. im guess it holds the jaws open while you set the triggers and bait it?

Yes, I have that. Still......

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Well they arrived. Man, I gotta say, setting one of these conibears is daunting. Especially the 330s. Jeez, if your hand ever gets in the way, you're not gonna have a good day.
    I've been pinched in a Conibear. The worst part was the jaw grabbing my stainless watch band and hanging up on it. The jaw was less painful. I use setters that I made with 1" flat stock. They are a little longer than the commercial setters, but they give more leverage for compressing the springs and they have enough heft that I can permanently knock out foxes and lynx in legholds with them. Wolverines in a leghold gets a .22 to the head.

With a little work, those traps you bought will recover what you spent on them.
    Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast