Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10mm fantasy

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up 10mm fantasy

Like a dream come true. Next weekend I'll have the opportunity to view and purchase:

Glock 20 NIB. "not sure what Gen"
    S&W Model 610, 5" prelock revolver
    Colt Delta Elite, nickel
    S&W Model 1076, "unfired"

I'd love to pick up the Model 610 since I've got the 3" model to keep it company. They run pretty high on the auction sites so may have to keep a 2nd choice in mind. The Glock would be my last choice only because they are readily available. Really don't have any experience with the Delta Elite but love the 1911 platform. I'd probably put the Model 1076 as my #2 given its a S&W and I feel like it will appreciate and should go for a good bit less than the Colt unless other bidders, it's an auction get stupid and drive the price up. What would you choose?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

S&W 610.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

610 easily. wish i never sold my 5" .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I, too, like the 610. The 1076 would be interesting, though, if the price doesn't get out of control.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Thanks for the opinions. I've seen the 5" 610 go for over $2K on the auctions sites, even without the box and stuff so if I can get it for well under that I'll will.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I snagged the S&W model 610 for $1,200 + 5% sales tax. Getting ready to give it a good cleaning and take some photos. We didn't stay for the whole thing so the only other 10mm that I saw sell was the NIB G20 which went for $535 + tax so basically what they selling for at my local gun stores.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Here are a few photos. These were only made from 1989 to 1992 with total production of 4,560. Since this 5" model was made at the same time as the 6.5" I don't know how many of the 4,560 were which? Based on the serial number I believe mine was made in either August-September of 89.

It came with the original finger groove, round butt combat stocks but I swapped them out for the Arhend combats that were on my 3" M610-2. I like the way these feel but this gun has little more barrel out front so I'm thinking a set of Ahrend's round to square butt finger groove combats may work better. This guns been shot a fair amount but is quite tight and I intend to shoot it a fair bit myself.

USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

very nice.

for $1200 you did pretty good.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Gorgeous. Nice find and congrats!
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Thanks guys. Here's a shot of both of my S&W 610 and my G29. I'm looking at a G40 with red dot for my next 10mm purchase.

USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

I really like the looks of that Richard!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Congrats.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Sweet! Love it!

I have a 6" Wolf barrel for my G20SF. For hunting should I want to use it for that... Kind of like a poor man's G40 lol
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Thank you all for the comments. I'm really getting to urge to get back into the 10. I bought the 610-2 which led to getting the G29. After a few years I kind of moved on to other caliber a and platforms like .45 ACP revolvers. With this latest purchase I'm looking at other 10mm firearms but probably not another revolver. Except for the 6.5" Model 610 there aren't really any others out there. The later releases S&W did have the internal lock and don't offer anything over the ones I have.

I have seen a custom Ruger GP100 converted to 10mm which looked killer! Might look into something along those lines. Wonder if a convertible Blackhawk in .41 Mag / 10mm is doable?

Was looking around and forgot Ruger did a convertible Blackhawk in 38-40 / 10mm years ago. I don't think one of those would be cheap if I could find one but it doesn't hurt to keep an eye out for one.

Also forgot about the S&W Nightguard series of revolvers. They had the Model 310 with I believe a 2" barrel. That might be a good one to look for on the seconday market?
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 11-03-2016 at 06:11 PM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

What about a 1911 10? Several of those available.... and Mec Tech makes their carbine conversion in 10mm...

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    What about a 1911 10? Several of those available.... and Mec Tech makes their carbine conversion in 10mm...
    I've thought about those. Coworker has the Rock Island in 10mm and likes it a lot. The first and second issue Delta Elites are another possibility as is the Colt Double Eagle 10mm. Not a very popular offering but if I found one I thing it would be safe to say I'd not see another one at my range.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Also forgot about the S&W Nightguard series of revolvers.

everything about them is $$$$$$$$$$

new they were anywhere from $750-1125

used now they're bringing $700+ .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    everything about them is $$$$$$$$$$

new they were anywhere from $750-1125

used now they're bringing $700+ .
    I remember checking out the 45 ACP model when they first came out. At the time I seem to recall it felt pretty light and I figured it might carry pretty well. Must not have been much of a seller as they only made them for a couple of years.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Thanks guys. Here's a shot of both of my S&W 610 and my G29. I'm looking at a G40 with red dot for my next 10mm purchase.

I like your idea of the G40. I have a G34 and the long slide is really nice for target shooting. In the past several months I've picked up a G29 like yours, and just recently a G20 which is sex for my fingers...I love that gun.

Not sure if you are interested, but UnderwoodAmmo.com has some great choices for defensive rounds (expensive though)
    https://www.underwoodammo.com/10mm-auto/

The one thing that the G40 gives you over a G20 with longer barrel is sight radius.... but I've found my G20SF's sights good out to 50 yards for precise placement (relatively speaking) and that's all I will ask of it...

But for longer shots, the G40 would def be better.

Oh and you might keep on the look out for the Smith & Wesson 1006 - here's one on Gunbroker right now: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/595931843

I had the 45 ACP version - DA only - was a great gun - State Police trade-in IIRC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast