Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What you think; Kel Tec sub 2000 in 9mm

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

What you think; Kel Tec sub 2000 in 9mm

Found one lightly used for $400 with 50 rounds and two 33 round mags.

I've been wanting a 9mm rifle for around the place.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I've thought about one several times but when ever I ran across one it was either in .40 S&W or it was 9mm but took Beretta or S&W mags. $400 is more than I'd like to pay but they are pretty scarce.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

They're good from my understanding, especially if you need the folding ability for a backpack or whatever.

The Gen 2 version has been out for a little while now and seems a lot better from what I can tell.

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I've looked at the Beretta Storm and HK/Clones, but they are expensive for a truck & ATV gun.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    I've looked at the Beretta Storm and HK/Clones, but they are expensive for a truck & ATV gun.
    Go with a Hi-Point. Inexpensive, lightweight, and super accurate. The only downside is they take single stack mags only, but Sportsman's Guide sells 25 rnd. mags that aren't expensive.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...zine?a=1128160
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Kel-tecs are good designs with shit execution. I know this from experience. I had a PT-111 - the assembly pin would walk out ever 3 or 4 rounds. A friend of mine bought a PF9. I told him not to, but he had to learn the hard way. I have shot a Sub 2000 and it had frequent jams. It was light and folded but I prefer the ergonomics of the Hi-point carbine. I have been shooting my Hi-Point 995 Carbine for over 10 years without a jam. I am actually thinking about taking it apart for cleaning. All I have done over many hundreds of rounds is run a bore snake down the barrel from time to time. Of the 9mm carbines I have shot I like the Beretta the best but IMHO a Hipoint is a much better option than a Kel-tec.
    Last edited by jet3534; 10-22-2016 at 08:50 PM.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I got one of the first out which was unfortunately in S&W Model 59. I wish the mag wells were interchangeable but they are not. Mine was a bear to chamber a round and seemed to prefer hotter loaded 9mm, and prefered +P. A call to Kel-tec gave me the answer. They were originally intended as police trunk guns, able to use the same higher powered ammo the police used, so they had a stouter recoil spring. They offered me the option of returning it and they would install a lighter spring free of charge or they would send me a lighter spring to do it myself, also free. Can't fault them for customer service.

Mine has been 100% reliable knowing it's intent. Pulling the bolt back to lock with the heavy spring took two hands and a foot, but it was nice to know the rifle could handle anything. I did make a shoulder pad for mine out of high density foam on top of a stock extension they sell or sold at the time. Worked nicely but I have to say it has the strangest recoil and sound of any 9mm carbine I have ever fired.

While I wish it was in either Beretta 92 or Glock 17 which were not available when I got mine, I do have to say it is a lot of fun to shoot, and when folded hides very nicely in a discrete bag.

PS, keeping inflation in mind, I paid right at $250 for mine way back when.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This one is a Glock 17. I like the idea of having 50 round drums available.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

I had a Glock 19 version gen-1 over a decade ago and loved it. I sold it to fund other toys and always regretted it. I recently came across a Glock 17 gen-II version at a gun shop and snatched it up. I like it even better than the gen-1. Never had an issue with either of them.

$400 is what I paid for mine new, but since they're hard to come by, I wouldn't hesitate getting one used for the same price if it's the gen-II and it comes with Glock-brand 33-rounders.

I love using the new Magpul 21-round Glock mags in mine - it's the perfect sized mag for this set-up.

The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    I had a Glock 19 version gen-1 over a decade ago and loved it. I sold it to fund other toys and always regretted it. I recently came across a Glock 17 gen-II version at a gun shop and snatched it up. I like it even better than the gen-1. Never had an issue with either of them.

$400 is what I paid for mine new, but since they're hard to come by, I wouldn't hesitate getting one used for the same price if it's the gen-II and it comes with Glock-brand 33-rounders.

I love using the new Magpul 21-round Glock mags in mine - it's the perfect sized mag for this set-up.

Nice!

I think the Gen IIs have a real cool look to them.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    I have been shooting my Hi-Point 995 Carbine for over 10 years without a jam. I am actually thinking about taking it apart for cleaning.

my advice. don't go any further than this guys shows.

PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

My carbine is the older 995 and not the TS model shown in this video but I guess disassembly is not that different. I am glad I have the older 995 and not the TS version. The current Hi-point use of a recoil buffer on their carbine stocks seems like an abomination IMHO.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    My carbine is the older 995 and not the TS model shown in this video but I guess disassembly is not that different. I am glad I have the older 995 and not the TS version. The current Hi-point use of a recoil buffer on their carbine stocks seems like an abomination IMHO.
    I have the older, solid-looking, stock, too. It's pretty much standard and I'll keep it that way. The only change I've made is put a sling on it.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I have the Sub 2000 Gen 2 Glock mags - 9mm and love it. The only problem that I've seen is the front sight moving but that is solved by simply applying some locktight to the set screw. Mine hasn't moved.

Great shooter and the 33 round Glock mags really make it useful.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

I can't believe no one's made a bullpup stock for these yet, like the old mossberg500 and rem 870 bullpup stocks.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

They're already technically bullpups since the action is behind the trigger. Push the magazine well back any further and the length of pull would be ridiculously long.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    I can't believe no one's made a bullpup stock for these yet, like the old mossberg500 and rem 870 bullpup stocks.
    No practical way to go about it since the bolt travels in the stock tube behind the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Go with a Hi-Point. Inexpensive, lightweight, and super accurate. The only downside is they take single stack mags only, but Sportsman's Guide sells 25 rnd. mags that aren't expensive.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...zine?a=1128160
    Almost bought a Hi-Point today. Local shop had the early style 9x19 carbine, used with two mags for $219.00. Looked like it just needed a good cleaning. Was going to offer $200 OTD but I was also eyeballing a new Glock 40 with 3 mags, four different grip extensions and the different MOS mounting plates for $775. I think both guns are a little high but regardless if I bought the HP it would take longer to save for the G40 so I passed.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Do you think you're professional enough to use a glock 40 ?

PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    Do you think you're professional enough to use a glock 40 ?

You can't get any more "professional" than my ass. If you google, "high speed, low drag" it has my picture. Shit, I put the essional in professional.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast