Thread: Carbine that fires either .45 acp or 9mm. Which would you choose as a fun plinker?

Carbine that fires either .45 acp or 9mm. Which would you choose as a fun plinker?

The problem is that the carbine in .45 acp is less than HALF the price of the 9mm carbine (because the .45 is used in mint condition, whereas the 9mm is New In Box). But I'm going (uh, .45 acp is kinda expensive just to plink in my opinion. I have tons of cheap blaster 9mm.)

Any of you guys like to plink with 45 acp?

That's sounds like a tough choice. as much as I love .45 I'd probably take 9mm in a carbine for a plinker. But if the. 45 is way cheaper that might change my mind. At least .45 is cheap to reload

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

What are the carbine you're looking at and how much for them?

.45 is a blast to plink with but too expensive. I have a .45 but almost never take it out. I am, however, hoping to see a .45 CZ Scorpion one day.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

For a plinker ... .22 LR.

Well clearly 9mm is much cheaper, but another consideration is that the 9mm shoots a little flatter. The very first article I ever read in a gun magazine (at about the age of eleven) was a debate about 9mm vs. .45 and I find it interesting that the debate continues to this day. Of course over the years I think the 9mm has closed the performance gap. The only thing I ever shot with a 9mm (Federal HST) was a very large ground hog and the effect was rather explosive.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

If you hand load then the 45. Otherwise i would get the 9mm..

Just my opinion.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    Well clearly 9mm is much cheaper, but another consideration is that the 9mm shoots a little flatter. The very first article I ever read in a gun magazine (at about the age of eleven) was a debate about 9mm vs. .45 and I find it interesting that the debate continues to this day. Of course over the years I think the 9mm has closed the performance gap. The only thing I ever shot with a 9mm (Federal HST) was a very large ground hog and the effect was rather explosive.

HSTs rock!
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

As far as a choice between the two, since I have two 9mm carbines, I guess I'd go with the .45, BUT. I've always wanted a .45 Auto carbine, too, if for nothing more than to go with my 1911.

Since all a 9mm or 45 auto is legal for around here is plinking/target shooting/self protection, all I've ever done with mine is plink, occasionally.

So, right now, with having 9mm carbines already, I'd opt for the .45.

If you don't have a 9mm already, then go with the 9. It'll be cheaper to feed and, probably, more accurate out past 50 yds.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

If there were truly a situation where you needed the carbine for more than just plinking I believe 9mm ammo will be easier to find as a lot of people and police departments use it. Sort of like deciding between .300 blackout or 5.56 for an AR type rifle. .300 blackout is cool but 5.56 will be much easier to find.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Playing What IF here's my analysis. What if that was the only weapon you find yourself with when the SHTF goes live. Assuming they are the same model of Carbine in a pistol caliber it comes down to ammo weight in my analysis. 9 mm weighs exactly half of standard .45 ACP rounds. Therefore you get to carry twice as many shots per pound of load out weight. As mentioned 9 mm is much faster so it drops less at distance giving a better ability to connect with a target at long distance than .45 ACP. The only real advantage .45 has over 9 is it makes a bigger hole. Striking energy can be equal or greater for the 9 mm over .45 ACP depending on the loading.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

If you shoot it enough, you will recover from the cost of the 9mm carbine being more expensive from the get go due to the lower cost of 9mm blaster ammo. Also, if you get bored with it and decide to sell it some day, the 9mm would likely be an easier sell.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    What are the carbine you're looking at and how much for them?

.45 is a blast to plink with but too expensive. I have a .45 but almost never take it out. I am, however, hoping to see a .45 CZ Scorpion one day.

Don't laugh but it's the KRISS Vector Mk V carbine. The price of the 9mm is at full MSRP. Because the .45 acp version is used (though in excellent condition), no box, no instructions, no spare magazines, it's literally HALF THE PRICE of the 9mm which is new in box. The BIG (and i mean BIG) advantage of the 9mm carbine is that it takes STOCK standard Glock 17 magazines, including the 33 round extra capacity ones for the Glock 18C.

Just so you know, the bullet button version of these will soon be 'illegal' in California, however, those of us who already have them will have to register them as "Assault weapons" with the state. The advantage is that we can remove the bullet buttons and put all the bells and whistles (like the PRE BAN ONES) back on the guns as long as they're 'registered'.
    Last edited by tank_monkey; 11-06-2016 at 08:48 PM.

So the 9 mm is also a Kriss but in 9 mm? Pfffttt, the ability to take Glock mags would make it the pick if I was to go there.