Thread: Anyone Used a Remington 7600 Pump Rifle

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Anyone Used a Remington 7600 Pump Rifle

I am looking to get a good deer rifle in the near future. I am also looking to get something that will be easily passed down or sold by my wife should I die first. Being left handed I was thinking that getting a pump rifle, of which Remington is the only manufacturer, would provide a gun that would work well for both left and right handed shooters. I have seen them but never actually fired or even held one. Does anyone here have any experience with them? Are they as accurate as a bolt action? How about care, bolt actions are pretty easy to care for are pump rifles? Just looking for any information someone might have.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

about 1 in 5 people here use them for hunting.

I've worked on them quite a few times, pretty straight forward gun. Just keep them clean.
    recoil is the same as a bolt action.

Accuracy- the last one i shot i was able to put 4 shot groups into the size of a quarter using handloaded 30-06 at 100 yds. if you pick up lower end factory ammo - dont expect much .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

I have a Rem 7600 in .270 Win. I really enjoy it. I am left handed as well and that is why I wanted something different then a bolt action. I haven't had a chance to take it on a hunt yet, but its been really accurate for me out to about 220 yds. I have noticed that after the first shot, if I don't let the barrel cool down for a bit, the follow on rounds will be about 1" low and 1/2" to the left, but they will be damn near on top of each other. If I give the barrel time to cool down, bullseye every time at 100yds, but that may just be my rifle. If you get the 5.56 version, you can get an adaptor that will allow you to use AR mags. Not real practical but its something to think about.
    As far as taking care of them, fairly easy. The retention nut for the slide is finely threaded so be careful when putting it back on. Still haven't figured out how to remove the bolt, but once you drop the trigger its pretty easy to give a thorough cleaning. I have no regrets with mine and it definitely gets some curious looks at the range. My father in law turned me on to the idea. He has an old Rem 760 in the same caliber that he has used for something like 30 years. He already told me that if I decide to sell mine, he wants it. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Woogiebear View Post
    I have noticed that after the first shot, if I don't let the barrel cool down for a bit, the follow on rounds will be about 1" low and 1/2" to the left, but they will be damn near on top of each other. If I give the barrel time to cool down, bullseye every time at 100yds, but that may just be my rifle.
    I forgot to mention, that is with 150 grain factory ammo. Remington Core Lokt or something like that.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Don't have the 7600 but I do have it's sister, the 7400. My 7400 is one amazingly accurate rifle. I have plinked at every distance from 100 yards to 500 and it never ceased to amaze me as to how good the rifle made me look. Would guess the 7600 might be even better since you control the reload.

Thanks to all, especially Woogiebear as a fellow southpaw. I think I am going to start looking for one. I am thinking 30-06 is the caliber I will go with, though I am tempted by the .270.

I thought about the 7400 but wanted to stay away from the semi-auto. No real reason why, just didn't want the semi. Glad that it works so well for you, though.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

My Grandfather hunted with a pump 30-06 for years. Cleaned regularly, never needed repair.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

had a 760 carbine in .308 a few years ago. Kicked worse then an M44. Pretty accurate and un jammable. Good rifle in my opinion.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

on teh verge of being late for work, so i hadnt read if this was mentioned yet, but i love mine. they are the same as the 760. if you get an older 760 get a "newer" older one. the first ones had a bar that the pump slid on, they seem to be muh less accurate. the newer 760s do not have this bar and the barrel is actually free floated.

also in old used rifles, savage used to make a very good 30-30 pump rifle that is also great for deer.

(im assuming yyou are looking for used sine remington discontinued the 7600 a few years ago, unless they brought it back that i dont know about???)

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    on teh verge of being late for work, so i hadnt read if this was mentioned yet, but i love mine. they are the same as the 760. if you get an older 760 get a "newer" older one. the first ones had a bar that the pump slid on, they seem to be muh less accurate. the newer 760s do not have this bar and the barrel is actually free floated.

also in old used rifles, savage used to make a very good 30-30 pump rifle that is also great for deer.

(im assuming yyou are looking for used sine remington discontinued the 7600 a few years ago, unless they brought it back that i dont know about???)
    Thanks for that information, I will definitely look for a newer one. According to the Remington website 7600s are back in production and have a mfg suggested retail price of just under $1,000. Looking at sites on-line I can get it for about $750-$850. Once I finish moving I think I will start looking seriously for one.

NRA Endowment Member

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Dad used a Remington 742 ( I think that was the model number) and it kicked like a mule (nothing like the .45-70 you shot the last time we went shooting, but still substantial). As he got older, he could no longer handle the recoil, so he switched over to a .243, which had a lot less recoil, and that's the one he stayed with until he could no longer hunt.

Almost anything in .30-06 is going to kick, but .270, or .243, sounds like a really good rifle caliber.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Thanks for that information, I will definitely look for a newer one. According to the Remington website 7600s are back in production and have a mfg suggested retail price of just under $1,000. Looking at sites on-line I can get it for about $750-$850. Once I finish moving I think I will start looking seriously for one.
    good news. i never saw why they would want to discontinue them, they still seem very popular. thats said, i like the 760's a bit better than the 7600's, more metal, less plastic, more solid feeling.