Thread: First Day of Rifle season tomorrow!

First Day of Rifle season tomorrow!

Yep, and my Son and I are headed to the woods! We are going to hunt our 60 acres, so, buck or doe. Son is taking the RAR in 30-06, (the one that I got him on clearance at wall mart. Put a Nikon 3x9x40 on it. Got the scope on clearance as well. 30 bucks) I will be taking M1 Garand in .308. I am going to let him take the first shot. He is 15, but we are still not comfortable with letting him roam around by himself. So we are going to sit on top of the hill and see what we see!

Back up rifles are going to be my Rem LTR in .308, and a nagant. I only have one day off this week. But next week I plan on having a few more days off. Going to hunt Mil surp only next week. Too many decisions to make there!!

To all the hunters. Be safe and good luck!

I hope to post a pic or two! I bought a cross bow this year. Took it to the woods three times. Missed a nice buck two weeks ago. But we are hopeful to see something tomorrow. Heck I have already hunted more this year than in the past three years combined!

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Good luck. I went yesterday afternoon. I saw a doe with a baby, so I passed. I will shoot the next one I see for freezer fodder.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Good luck to you and your boy this season! I have to wait until Nov. 28 for Ohio's gun season. I will be using a 6" .357 magnum revolver with hot ammo from Underwood this time around on a relative's 121 acres.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Best of luck to ya.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

Good hunting....
    Dan

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Good luck. Hopefully you both get you deer. BAR on clearance? Sounds like my jam. Hope he enjoys that top notch rifle.

I should have been in the woods this morning for sunrise. It is a nice crisp morning. I need to get my ass in gear or I will miss out on a deer.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Good luck to you and your son.

Just got back. Froze our tails off! Man it was windy. My son had a doe walk within 20 feet of him. By the time he saw her. She was gone.

We broke for lunch around ten. My son was sitting in the truck warming up. I was standing outside when something caught my eye on the hill. Deer about 50 yards up. I tapped on the window for my son. By the time he got out and got the rifle on target the buck turned and ran. My son said that he could have shot it in the hind. But I am glad that he didn't. I went to a different part of the property. Didn't see anything except for my neighbors new tree blind. Right on my property line. AND this guy lives on ONE acre. Kind of hard to hunt ONE acre isn't it? What is really weird. Is that I USED to have a stand not too far from where his is. On his ONE acre. I don't know the guy. But I do know that I am sure that he is enjoying hunting my land.

My son took a nap in the truck. He woke up and saw a doe. Didn't get a shot.

It sure was a windy day. We only heard about 30 shots at most today. Normally out there we loose track of how many shots we hear. So I would say that it wasn't a good day to be in the woods.

Still had a great time with my son. I hope that we can get out again sometime this week. Back to work for the rest of the week!

Still not sure what to do about the guy's tree house. When I bought the place I was never given a clear idea where the property line was/is. Last time that it was surveyed was in the 20's. I really don't want to shell out the money for a survey. I am thinking about putting no hunting/trespassing signs on every other tree ten feet my side of where I think that the line is. Then hanging all sorts of neon tape the entire way up the hill. The back side of the property is marked with a fence. Any other ideas?

Well I am glad you had some time with your son. As far as the neighbor if you have no way to monitor his hunting activities
    I cannot see what you can do. Mark your property line and talk to him about it. The only other thing I can think of is to put a camera pointed at his
    stand that will show the direction of shots he takes. Or put up signs that say the property is monitored by cameras but never tell him if you use
    one. Hope this works out.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

I'm glad you had a good time with your son El Duce. I still have to wait until Monday for rifle season in PA, but I'm really excited about it. I can't wait to take my new left handed bolt action rifle out for the first time. I hope your son gets his first deer this year, and that you're able to get out a few more times with him.