Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Purchased a new Truck ...

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Thumbs up Purchased a new Truck ...

FINALLY! Been driving a 2001 model year Tundra with the suicide rear doors since Dec. 20, 2000. Yeah, you read that right, just about 16 years. Frankly it still ran fine but, it was time. Replaced it with a model year 2017 Toyota Tacoma 4 door (crew cab) with a long bed, (6'-2"). These come with a 3.5L V-6 that puts out 278 hp and 265 lb.-ft. of torque. It also has a crap load of features that the Tundra from 2000 didn't have. Examples: a back up camera, in the dash video display for the camera, GPS, Blue Tooth sink capability with my cell phone. Also XM Radio capable, not planning on signing up though. Also has a built in compass feature that shows in the rear view mirror and between the Tachometer and the Analog Speedometer in a smaller video display. Phone activation on the wheel along with the ability to switch between radio and GPS on the wheel. Just a ton of tech that probably will break in time, but it sure is nice now.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Congratulations. I drove my old F150 from 1995 until 2012 so I know how you feel.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Congratulations. I drove my old F150 from 1995 until 2012 so I know how you feel.
    Thanks Richard!

Sounds like a whole lota shit I don't or NEVER want to have to pay for. 0 read that ZERRO of that stuff would be used by me.

WHO EVER uses a compass in their vehicle when there is GPS. Also I HATE the idea of GPS built in to a vehicle. After 4-6 years its no longer updatable and you are stuck with that.
    I'LL NEVER PAY FOR RADIO!!!!
    Don't need a video camera (one more thing to get eaten away from the calcium from the road in 4 years)
    HATE Bluetooth ANYTHING.

I just see a whole bunch of "broken" in 6 years. I see a whole bunch of redundant items that I don't want to have to pay for.

But that's just me.

Nice truck. My 2002 is now off the road because the calcium ate a hole in the pumpkin. I may try to fix it over the winter.

BISHOP

Nice truck. Tech is good...LOL.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Nice truck you have there. No longer a little truck but something that can do some work for you!

Blue Tooth phone sync is really nice. Not only can you take a call without taking the phone out of your pocket and risk eating a phone pole, but you should also have voice command that allows you to tell the truck to dial a certain person in your phone book. Distraction, yes a bit, but nice if someone really needs to get in touch with you.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Nice new set of wheels Shuetz, congrats.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Thanks gentlemen. To Bishop, the GPS has a removable hard drive that you can pull out, take to your PC and down load new maps, then put it back in. So no obsolete GPS maps, you can up date them. To Imanaknut, yes it does have the voice recognition thing. I just need to read the manual to learn about how to do it. First vehicle I need to read the manual on to fully operate all the features.

This Tacoma is (IMO) just as big as my model year 2001 Tundra. It isn't rated for 2,000 lbs. of payload like the Tundra but that's OK as I'm not a doing Gun Shows as a dealer anymore, I don't need to haul a ton of stuff to a show to sell. Mileage is improved from 17.3 highway to 21 or better.

I'm going to add two things to this truck; running boards and a Tonneau cover over the bed. Going to get a hard 4 section type T-cover that locks. I need the running boards for my wife and other short people. () I never used the ones on the old Tundra, didn't even notice this truck didn't have them until we got in to leave the dealership and my wife is struggling to get up in the truck.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 12-07-2016 at 09:20 PM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Thanks gentlemen. To Bishop, the GPS has a removable hard drive that you can pull out, take to your PC and down load new maps, then put it back in. So no obsolete GPS maps, you can up date them. To Imanaknut, yes it does have the voice recognition thing. I just need to read the manual to learn about how to do it. First vehicle I need to read the manual on to fully operate all the features.

This Tacoma is (IMO) just as big as my model year 2001 Tundra. It isn't rated for 2,000 lbs. of payload like the Tundra but that's OK as I'm not a doing Gun Shows as a dealer anymore, I don't need to haul a ton of stuff to a show to sell. Mileage is improved from 17.3 highway to 21 or better.

I'm going to add two things to this truck; running boards and a Tonneau cover over the bed. Going to get a hard 3 section type T-cover that locks. I need the running boards for my wife and other short people. () I never used the ones on the old Tundra, didn't even notice this truck didn't have them until we got in to leave the dealership and my wife is struggling to get up in the truck.
    Real men don't read directions!

Hummm, if you leave the running boards off the truck, your wife won't want to drive it.

Nice truck. Congrats!
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

Dang nice rig!
    Dan

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Nice truck. I like those. But you have to say the name in Japanese. Say it like "Takima"
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

good looking truck. as the saying goes around here, you just cain't hide money! i hope it does you proud. i'm hoping for a few more years on my 2002 ford. i'm retired and figure 1 more truck ought to be it.

Nice truck for sure. What ya going to get for Christmas?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Nice truck! I am a Toyota fan as well.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

Very nice.

I have a 2007 Taco - same color same layout (4dr, long box).

The mods I added were a Bak-Flip tonneau w/ tailgate lock, also popped out the power port relay on the fuse panel and replaced it with a jumper. That allows me to charge my phones/accessories with the ignition off since the ports are now always hot. It turns out there was an unpublicised service bulletin about the suspension. It allowed me to upgrade to the TRD suspension for free!

Did your truck come with a mp3 jack? That would be real handy.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Love those Taco's.
    If you drive it for a loooong time, be sure to check the front ball joints when you get past 150k miles.
    Mine failed at around 200k miles and the front wheel literally fell off.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Deane. Is that a stick shift? Looks like it but wasn't sure? I had a stick in my 1995 and was fine with it given the fact I was driving big rigs at work but I tell you when I got my new truck with an automatic it was like heaven not having to shift gears any more.

Been looking at getting a Challenger Hellcat (late midlife crisis) and having to shift again has kept me from moving forward with the purchase even though it wouldn't be a daily driver. Guess I'm spoiled now.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Deane. Is that a stick shift? Looks like it but wasn't sure? I had a stick in my 1995 and was fine with it given the fact I was driving big rigs at work but I tell you when I got my new truck with an automatic it was like heaven not having to shift gears any more.

Been looking at getting a Challenger Hellcat (late midlife crisis) and having to shift again has kept me from moving forward with the purchase even though it wouldn't be a daily driver. Guess I'm spoiled now.
    No actually that is an automatic transmission and the truck is 2 wheel drive, not a 4x4. It does have the ability to shift over to an S setting where you tap it like a flappy paddle gear shift system. These are 6 speed automatics I think, still learning the truck's stats. This allows you to choose your gears instead of the transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by rktman View Post
    Love those Taco's.
    If you drive it for a loooong time, be sure to check the front ball joints when you get past 150k miles.
    Mine failed at around 200k miles and the front wheel literally fell off.
    My 2001 Tundra got them replaced at 165K miles. I'd step on the breaks and the whole vehicle would shake. I know the signs now and will keep my senses open for anything squirrelly in the future.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 12-02-2016 at 07:17 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast