Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil Change Screw Up, Damage?

Thanks for the feed back guys.

This is a local chain with several locations and a HQ office. So far it is going ok we towed it back to the shop and put oil in it and after trying to start it they agreed there is something wrong with the engine and filed a claim with the insurance company. Hopefully we will hear back soon but a estimate and cut a check for damage are the next steps.

I will get a estimate at the Toyota dealer. I don't 100% trust dealers either but they have more of a image to uphold than a mom and pop mechanic.

I have recorded every conversation with anyone I have talked to since the start of this after I realized they didn't give us a receipt. Where I live only one party has to be aware of a recording so if things take a sour turn at least I have plenty of conversation of them taking responsibility for the damage.
    Last edited by Cypher; 12-08-2016 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    The cylinder walls and hence rings are lubed by spray off the crank agent they? I could see these going quick with low pressure because some of that oil is consumed right?

Depends on the engine and how it's designed. A Chevy small block has a "scoop" on the crankshaft that flings oil onto the cylinder walls, then the oil ring scrapes if off to fall back into the pan.

Other engine designs let oil pressure from the main bearing lube flow up the connecting rod, through the wrist pin and out the piston below the oil scraper ring. Same effect... it lubricates the cylinder walls and the oil ring removes the excess and sends it back to the pan.

Here's a really good video made by GM in 1937 (note the film footage of the 1936 Berlin Olympics and swastika flag at 0:37!) shows how engines are lubricated. There's a lot more to it than most people realize.

Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    The required State inspections result in millions of people being ripped off on an ongoing basis and I can't begin to say how much these required inspections piss me off. I don't know what it would take, but this practice needs to end. I am currently fortunate that I have found an honest garage to go to for the required yearly inspection. Most of the places that rip people off are so blatant that their dishonesty is obvious.

I wonder how many actually dangerous "rattle-traps" are caught by the "inspection" system as opposed to the cars and their owners who are raped for their lack of knowledge?

Great news. The insurance company took full responsibility for the damage and are sending a check now for about $4000.

What I am trying to figure out now is if we would be better off selling the car as is and combining the money to put towards another car.

What would you think we can get for a car in need of a new engine that would be worth $13,000 if the engine were intact?

Not sure if we can get something better for what we could walk away with. The replacement engine they found has 100,000 miles on it, the bad engine in my car has 170,000. BUT I don't know how well that engine was maintained or how it was taken care of.

Would the fact that the car has a replaced used engine lower the value if we were to sell it later? I'm thinking the insurance should also cover a loss of potential value due to a replaced engine.

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

The years I provided these engines to ins companies...there is absolutely NO way In would have entertained the idea of selling a 100k engine! Those are for the guy that just wants to keep burning gas......too dam many water cars out there.
    I would consider taking the $$$$ and running! I would not sell that engine to a Buy Here Pay Here Car Lot..........that kind of mileage is a $5/600 engine.......
    Last edited by Dan Morris; 12-12-2016 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Great news. The insurance company took full responsibility for the damage and are sending a check now for about $4000.
    Who's insurance company and who came up with the figure?

You should find out what it would cost to get a DIFFERENT CAR similar to or better than what you had, then hold out for that amount of $$$.

If YOUR insurance company is coming up with the $$$, I have to ask WHY? Why should YOUR insurance pay for someone else's negligence and why should YOUR insurance rates go up because of someone else's negligence?

If you already accepted the check, then forget what I just wrote... it's too late.

If not, get an amount that makes you whole. No used engines, no half-assed repairs done by the same kind of idiot "mechanics" that ruined your car in the first place.

Get a whole different car, one as good or better than what you had, get the "repair shop" insurance to pay 100% of the cost and threaten lawsuits and "Seven on your side" TV investigations if they don't make you happy.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

What I am trying to figure out now is if we would be better off selling the car as is and combining the money to put towards another car.

What would you think we can get for a car in need of a new engine that would be worth $13,000 if the engine were intact?

Not sure if we can get something better for what we could walk away with. The replacement engine they found has 100,000 miles on it, the bad engine in my car has 170,000. BUT I don't know how well that engine was maintained or how it was taken care of.

Would the fact that the car has a replaced used engine lower the value if we were to sell it later? I'm thinking the insurance should also cover a loss of potential value due to a replaced engine.
    Used engine with 100K milage on it ... Bullshit! NO freaking way should you accept that. What's the model year of the car that was damaged? If you said it already I don't remember it and not going back over all the threads. If it was me, I'd take the money and use it as a down payment on a new vehicle. I'd wait until the damaged car was sold then combine the insurance money and put it together to make a big down payment on a new set of wheels. At this time of year Toyota has zero APR on several models of car.

The shops insurance is covering it so no hit on my insurance. I talked to the dealer and they work with a shot that rebuilds engines and will work with them to order a rebuilt/refurbished engine.

I called some local car lots and from what I was told by several of them I would not be able to get much, under 1k for a car with a bad engine because they can't test out any of the mechanics and would have to sell as is with no verifications.

If we get the engine replaced I would be able to sell it for more than the insurance check and damaged car sales. We might end up selling it after this and get something else but will wait and see how it goes.

The year of my car is a 2006, not sure about the insurance companies suggested engine.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 Sherman's Avatar

The shops insurance is covering it so no hit on my insurance. I talked to the dealer and they work with a shot that rebuilds engines and will work with them to order a rebuilt/refurbished engine.

I called some local car lots and from what I was told by several of them I would not be able to get much, under 1k for a car with a bad engine because they can't test out any of the mechanics and would have to sell as is with no verifications.

If we get the engine replaced I would be able to sell it for more than the insurance check and damaged car sales. We might end up selling it after this and get something else but will wait and see how it goes.

The year of my car is a 2006, not sure about the insurance companies suggested engine.
    I am glad that the company is taking responsibility for this. Lucky you!!!! Most companies put up a huge fight in order to get out of mistakes.

It would be nice to get a brand new motor from Toyota....but in the real world.....the engine is/will be prorated. Sucks but it is expected.

To get a engine that has 70k miles less on it installed....I would be jumping for joy!!!! You should check to see if the new engine comes with a warranty and get it on paper. Find out where the engine came from. If it is a automotive recycler....they will "normally" warranty the engine.
    Remember....you are getting a TOYOTA engine. They are known to go 400K+ miles if taken care of. If it was a Hyundai.....I would throw a fit, they have shit engines.

As for selling the car, that is completely your choice. If you sell it, check to see if the Toyota dealership reports the "damage". The damage will show up on reports like Carfax. Dealers love to shove the carfax in your face if you are trying to sell or trade in to try to make a extra buck on resale.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

If the engine is rebuilt it should be very good, even if it did have 100,000 miles before the rebuild, right? This sounds like a good response for a problem they caused.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

The insurance wanted to put a used engine in and the dealer pushed for a rebuild engine so that's what they are going to put in. Bumped the estimate up another 1k. I think they low ball the initial appraisals and hope you will cash the check and not fix the car.

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    If the engine is rebuilt it should be very good, even if it did have 100,000 miles before the rebuild, right? This sounds like a good response for a problem they caused.

IF the builder knows what he's doing. There's more to building an engine than simply bolting parts together.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    IF the builder knows what he's doing. There's more to building an engine than simply bolting parts together.
    That is true. If they don't know what they are doing it could turn out worse than before.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Lets hope a Toyota dealer knows what they are doing and wont order it form a bad supplier. I have been to some certified dealers I wouldn't want to touch my car but this one has done good work for me and friends that I know so should be the best option in the area for the work.

Cypher - do NOT "accept" a used engine, even one with less mileage!

Several years ago, a relative drove a 2000 Lincoln through about 8-10" of water that had partially flooded a street due to a cloudburst. Ended up "hydrolocking" the engine as the air intake was lower that we thought and they drove through the water following a p/u truck. The truck's wake made for a "W" shaped wave that got into the Lincoln's engine - all the way to the cylinders.
    Relatives insurance company got a comparable engine and had it installed, BUT the mileage has never been as good as the original engine, despite having the fuel system (esp. injectors) cleaned. Nobody has been able to figure out why.

Invest in a newer and potentially better vehicle!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post

Several years ago, a relative drove a 2000 Lincoln through about 8-10" of water that had partially flooded a street due to a cloudburst. Ended up "hydrolocking" the engine as the air intake was lower that we thought and they drove through the water following a p/u truck. The truck's wake made for a "W" shaped wave that got into the Lincoln's engine - all the way to the cylinders.
    Relatives insurance company got a comparable engine and had it installed, BUT the mileage has never been as good as the original engine, despite having the fuel system (esp. injectors) cleaned. Nobody has been able to figure out why.

If the o2 sensors weren't replaced after the sailing incident, they may have become "poisoned" and no longer respond as they should. This will surely affect mileage. Also, if the specs of the engine are different, such as higher power output rating and so on, it takes more fuel to make more power.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 Sherman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post

BS. Just because your relative has a bad used engine doesn't mean that all used engines are bad. Most used engines come with a warranty. I would rather have a used engine than a rebuilt engine unless I rebuilt it myself. Some rebuilders use the cheapest parts available in there rebuilds. OEM/Stock parts are the best.

Found out they ended up putting a used engine in that has 100k miles on it, the old engine had 170k miles on it. It was done by a certified Toyota mechanic shop.

What I am wondering now is will this reduce the value of the car if we were to sell it? I asked if they can provide a appraisal stating if there is lost value in the car and the dealer said they can't but there shouldn't be any lost value because the engine was replaced.

has anyone had experience with this on a non collector car? The insurance company said they will pay us for lost value if we can get an appraisal from the dealer. Is there another way to get a estimate on the value of a car due to an engine being replaced?

I'm just happy they took responsibility and replaced it, the way the paper work went we could have been screwed. But I still don't want to have lost value in my car without being compensated for it.

Team GunsNet Gold 02/2012 ninner's Avatar

If the used engine has a warranty it could be argued that they increased the value of your vehicle. Last year Ford replaced the 5.0 in my F150 with 500 miles left on the engine warranty. The replacement came with 3 years unlimited mileage parts and labor.

Quote Originally Posted by ninner View Post
    If the used engine has a warranty it could be argued that they increased the value of your vehicle. Last year Ford replaced the 5.0 in my F150 with 500 miles left on the engine warranty. The replacement came with 3 years unlimited mileage parts and labor.
    If you don't mine me asking what was wrong worth your 5.0 I've got one in my car

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast