Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 19

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Glock 19

Thinking I'm way overdo to add a G19 to my collection and CCW rotation. Was thinking about looking around for a clean, used one today and was wondering if there is any real difference in the Gen 4 that would make purchasing one of those the better idea?

What's the going price for a clean, used G19? I can get a new Gen 4 at Sportsman's Warehouse for around $549.00. Seems like a VG used G19 should be selling for $425.00 or thereabouts or does their popularity make for higher resale prices? TIA
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 12-03-2016 at 06:49 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

The gen 4's come with an extra magazine. *shrug* I went with a 20 instead.
    I am the master of my fate
    I am the captain of my soul

"(The Second Amendment) isn't a law but an enumerated right, a right that we cannot allow to be corralled to make politicians and ant-gun fanatics happy." ~Old Grump

I've got a G29 however a G20 is on my short list. The only other Glocks I have are a G26 and a G35. The G35 is my "nightstand" gun and I have a LW 40-9 conversion barrel and mags so it also does double duty as a G34 when necessary.

The G26 and G29 are my part of my summer/winter carry rotation. Both have served me well but was thinking I'd like to upgrade my summer carry, so to speak and the G19 seems like a good option. I could just carry a higher capacity mag as my reload for the G26 if capacity was the only "upgrade" I was looking at but to be honest I'm wanting a little more capacity and a little more gun/grip.

I'm getting some pretty pronounced carpal tunnel in my hands and arms and I'd be more comfortable and confident with the larger grip area of the G19. Also I find that when working with new shooters the G26 is, IMHO not the best pistol to start someone out on when they are ready to progress from rimfire to centerfire handgun. I have other 9x19's but Glock is popular and if that is the brand the person I'm working with wants to own then I'd like to train them on that brand as well.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

used $400-450 pending on condition.

I've gotten ones as low as $275 .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I've been eyeing the MOS versions lately. I think a G19 with Trijicon RMR would be pretty fucking badass.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Gen 4 Glocks come with interchangeable back straps to allow better fit to your hand. They also have a reversible mag release but if you reverse it you can only use Gen 4 mags. If you leave it stock you can use generic Glock mags. Internally the recoil spring is different than on Gen 3s. The Gen 3 is a single spring while on Gen 4's the spring looks like it is doubled.

The prices you are looking at are about normal. AIM and J&G have them for about $519 but then you have to account for shipping so the price is probably better at Sportsmans Warehouse. If you look at AIM and J&G they get LEO trade-ins that go for about $350, but neither has any now.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

The one for me would be gen 2. Not a fan of the finger grooves - they work OK on the longer grip of the g17, but are a bit crowded on the shorter grip.
    I did a bit of modifying on my gen3 to make it feel better.

And this is an alternative to the 19 - G26 with Xgrip adapter

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Richard, to me, the biggest difference between the gen 3 and 4 is the recoil spring. The gen 4 is better. But it's not that much of a difference IMHO. I have a G23 gen 3 that I use for EDC. I like the bigger caliber and 13+1 rounds is plenty for self defense IMHO.

And as to your carple tunnel, get some dry wasabi powder (Asian market) - this is the stuff you eat with sushi which you probably knew. It's mixed with water or sake to make the paste.

Try taking a table spoon in the morning and evening - you can make the paste and eat it that way or mix into a liquid. It's basically Asian horseradish.

Its an anti-inflammatory and also has anti-carcinogen properties. It works for me. And it has no negative side affects compared to ibuprofen, etc.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

I'll give the wasabi remedy a try.

Found a VG+ G19 in one of my local gun shops. Came with one mag, no box for $419.00. Everyone else was asking $499 with box and an extra mag. I figured with the pile of Glock and Korean 17 & 30rd mags at home a 15rd mag and more Glock Tupperware wasn't worth $80 so I brought it home.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Congratulations! I was going to add that I carry my G19 with no issues, summer and winter. I feel better with a full size pistol and the 15+1 is nice compared to my G26's 10+1. I am sort of tall so I have to make sure my shirts are long enough, but that is not a big deal. The big deal is it conceals as well as the G26. I use a King Tuck holster and it hides away just fine.

Let us know how it shoots. I am sure you know the G17 mags will work just fine, they just stick out the bottom a little.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Congrats on the Glock 19. I've been using one for CCW off and on since 1993. I also have a Gen 3 model and except for the finger grooves they perform an shoot the same. You can get 3 LB. trigger packages for very little money. I find it did improve my overall group sizes by lowering it the roughly 2.5 Lbs.

I tell you I'm really liking this G19. My G26 is pretty sweet but the G19 really fills in the blanks the G26 leaves. I've heard folks refer to it as the ideal Glock and now I know why!
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

I used to crack on Glocks years ago. "Plastic Guns." I was a big revolver and 1911 guy. It took me 20 + years. But now I own 3 and love them.

I started out with a 17, then a 19 and last weekend a 43 followed me home.

I keep thinking there should be a 26 in the family. The wife doesn't seem to see it that way...

Congrats on your 19 purchase.

NRA Endowment Member

Richard, I got a few of these magpul mags for my 19. I really like them so far and AIM has free shipping on them. If I could have just 1 handgun I would likely choose the 19.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...stol+Magazines
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Richard, I got a few of these magpul mags for my 19. I really like them so far and AIM has free shipping on them. If I could have just 1 handgun I would likely choose the 19.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...stol+Magazines
    Thanks. Just placed an order.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

I like the gen 3 better then the Gen 4... the first pistol I ever bought was a G17 and that was 1996 sold it in 1997.. Haven't have another 9mm till last June. Then and after much thought I decided I liked the Gen3 grip better. I put about 3-4k rounds through it last summer and it has become one of my favorites.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Congrats on the G19 find for a good price. I love my G19 - it's been glued to me any time I've exited the house for the past 8 years.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

I've had a 19/2nd gen for several years I didn't realize how popular it is until recently. From what I've read on different forms it seems to be the most popular of all the generations of 19 and a favorite for concealed carry. I've had a 26 but never really cared for it, there just isn't enough difference between it and the 19 and I don't like the finger grooves.

I did pick up a 43 that I like and shoot well. It's slimmer, shorter and much lighter than the 19 which makes it perfect for concealed carry when wearing lighter/summer clothes ... for me, the 19 is more difficult to carry without printing in a tee-shirt and shorts and that's where the 43 shines

Quote Originally Posted by kimberkid View Post
    I've had a 19/2nd gen for several years I didn't realize how popular it is until recently. From what I've read on different forms it seems to be the most popular of all the generations of 19 and a favorite for concealed carry. I've had a 26 but never really cared for it, there just isn't enough difference between it and the 19 and I don't like the finger grooves.

I did pick up a 43 that I like and shoot well. It's slimmer, shorter and much lighter than the 19 which makes it perfect for concealed carry when wearing lighter/summer clothes ... for me, the 19 is more difficult to carry without printing in a tee-shirt and shorts and that's where the 43 shines
    I didn't realize how popular the G19 was either. I mean, I knew folks liked them but never realized how much. Was telling my daughter about me buying this G19 yesterday and she tells me that she and her husband bought each other G19's for their anniversary last month. He got the Gen4 and she got a Gen3. I guess we're a G19 family.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast