Thread: New Musket Kit I am working on.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

New Musket Kit I am working on.

Reproduction of a mid 1500's English matchlock musket in .75 Cal Copied from an original using modern steel. Even the lock internals are the same.

So i picked this up a few days ago from the shop i been helping out at in my spare time. (He is paying me in store credit) Anyway,The stock is unfinished but all the metal and lock are good to go. I will start slowly hand sanding it over the winter. i am also in search of braided hemp rope now in order to make some matches and a .715 ball mould. This is going to be a fun toy. The shop carries all the cloths and accessories to go with this as well but i wont be going that far. I will probably pick up a matching proper period shooting stick for this and maybe a set of the little reload bottles called "The twelve apostles" So far it is the biggest gun i have ever owned in length and caliber.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Boom lol

Looks great so far!

Have fun!
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Wow, not that's something you don't see every day. Congrats on getting it. Use a sanding block to maintain crisp edges. If you sand a stock just using your hands to press on the paper you will round the edges. Those matchlocks had fairly sharp corners and edges. What does the bore really Mic for Inside Diameter? If it is really a .75 caliber a .715 ball is going to be very loose and give very poor accuracy. Also, is it smooth bore or is it rifled?

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Wow, not that's something you don't see every day. Congrats on getting it. Use a sanding block to maintain crisp edges. If you sand a stock just using your hands to press on the paper you will round the edges. Those matchlocks had fairly sharp corners and edges. What does the bore really Mic for Inside Diameter? If it is really a .75 caliber a .715 ball is going to be very loose and give very poor accuracy. Also, is it smooth bore or is it rifled?
    You are right about the crisp edges, thank you for the tip. I probably would have unknowingly did it and then regretted it. Sanding block it is and then steel wool. The stock is Rosewood which is naturally very oily so normally the shop uses a leather dye to darken the wood and then just leaves it at that. There is a pattern cut into the stock as well. I am going to stain those lines a couple times before the actual full stock. so to have it a little darker then the rest. Good idea with the mic to check the bore. I ran into that issue with sloppy bullets with my English trade gun. A LOT of windage. This is a smooth bore.
    Last edited by rci2950; 12-11-2016 at 04:43 PM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Rosewood, huh, never would of thought that. Looks like Walunut. I was thinking most of the originals I've seen or seen photos of are very dark, almost black in color. Not sure why they would be so dark exactly. One possibility is that they used boiled Linseed Oil which gets darker with age even though it starts out with hardly any darkening effect other than making the wood look "wet". I expect you'll have a lot of fun with it once you finish the build.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    Reproduction of a mid 1500's English matchlock musket in .75 Cal Copied from an original using modern steel. Even the lock internals are the same.

So i picked this up a few days ago from the shop i been helping out at in my spare time. (He is paying me in store credit) Anyway,The stock is unfinished but all the metal and lock are good to go. I will start slowly hand sanding it over the winter. i am also in search of braided hemp rope now in order to make some matches and a .715 ball mould. This is going to be a fun toy. The shop carries all the cloths and accessories to go with this as well but i wont be going that far. I will probably pick up a matching proper period shooting stick for this and maybe a set of the little reload bottles called "The twelve apostles" So far it is the biggest gun i have ever owned in length and caliber.
    You might try Dixie Gunworks and see what they have.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    You might try Dixie Gunworks and see what they have.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/
    There is a lot of stuff there that makes my mouth water.

There is a lot of stuff there that makes my mouth water.
    Same here. I've been dealing with them for years. They're a great place to get round ball molds created. It took me three times to finally get the correct sized mold for my Howdah pistol. It was slightly different in bore diameter than the one Dixie sells.

Here's a great place to buy period firearms....and their prices are pretty good, too.

http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

wow, there is a double barrel flintlock shotgun on that site. that is a thing of beauty.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I thing of true beauty!!!!! VERY NICE!!!!

wow, there is a double barrel flintlock shotgun on that site. that is a thing of beauty.
    Ah, ah, ahhh. I'm longing for that one, too.

It's on my short list as soon as I save a little more....after Christmas, that is.

I got my Howdah pistol from them. It was a lot cheaper than Dixie's, and it's a quality firearm, too...

Freedom isn't free.