Thread: Pennsylvania mother ate twigs, drank own urine on journey to save family

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Pennsylvania mother ate twigs, drank own urine on journey to save family

Cliff notes version: Husband, wife, and 10-year old son from Pennsylvania are visiting the Grand Canyon. While on their way to the north rim, a snow storm sets in. They turn their rental vehicle around and decide to GTFO. They never made it out, getting stuck in a ditch. Wife decides to hoof it on foot to find help. She ran out of food and water on her trek, causing her to decide to drink her own urine. She eventually finds help and everyone is rescued with only some frostbite issues to deal with.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/12/27...l?refresh=true

I wonder: Why did she drink pee when she was surrounded by potable water (fresh snow)? Granted, eating raw snow is not good since it reduces the body's temperature. However, she ran out of water, which means she had some type of container to stuff snow into and hold against her body under her coat until it warmed and somewhat melted.

I am glad she and her family got out ok, but I always find survival stories fascinating in regard to the decisions that survivors make in their effort to survive.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

First off who sends the wife on a rescue mission and secondly, it was only 30 hours. She wasn't gonna starve to death or die of thirst. Exposure could of killed her but not starvation or lack of water.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    First off who sends the wife on a rescue mission and secondly, it was only 30 hours. She wasn't gonna starve to death or die of thirst. Exposure could of killed her but not starvation or lack of water.
    Two words: Beta male.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Ugh. So much to say here. I can't imagine drinking urine. Nasty.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    Aside from the ickness factor, the salt content is very bad as it only causes more dehydration. I also say wtf when you have clean snow all around! Fill up container and put it inside your coat to slowly melt or just put a little in your mouth and let it melt, repeat in 15 or 30 minutes. This way you won't chill yourself out.

AS to why the Husband didn't go I get from the article that she's had "Wilderness Survival Training" in the past, so perhaps that's why. Husband may be a desk jockey / couch potato type. No mention on why he didn't go.

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post

I wonder: Why did she drink pee when she was surrounded by potable water (fresh snow)? Granted, eating raw snow is not good since it reduces the body's temperature. However, she ran out of water, which means she had some type of container to stuff snow into and hold against her body under her coat until it warmed and somewhat melted.
    They 'claimed' that drinking snow water accelerated Hypothermia because of the body heat required to melt the snow. I call BS though. But I'm NOT a wilderness expert. I'd love to hear from folks who are true wilderness experts, but I figure that the body heat LOSS by either warming up a container of snow or drinking ice cold water wouldn't mean that much since you're already generating a lot of body heat by exerting yourself by doing a long distance forced hike anyway. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post

She watched too much Bear Grylls.
    Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    They 'claimed' that drinking snow water accelerated Hypothermia because of the body heat required to melt the snow. I call BS though. But I'm NOT a wilderness expert. I'd love to hear from folks who are true wilderness experts, but I figure that the body heat LOSS by either warming up a container of snow or drinking ice cold water wouldn't mean that much since you're already generating a lot of body heat by exerting yourself by doing a long distance forced hike anyway. Thoughts?

The snow thing isn't a big issue until you're subjected to sub-zero temperatures for long periods. The problem is that snow is about 8-1 to 10-1 when it comes to volume of snow verses volume of water. So it's best to melt it so you get enough water than to keep eating snow.
    Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey

I'm not an expert but have heard of people getting frost bite on their lips from trying to hydrate on snow for a long period of time. IMHO the body makes enough waste heat to melt snow as suggested by putting her water bottle/canteen full of snow in her jacket pocket. eating twigs? Eating things that aren't food is never a good idea, have fun with butthole splinters.

for the piss drinking? maybe she was just a freak that way.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

I'm not sure what they were expecting. The North Rim is closed during the winter......for obvious reasons.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Yes, B.S. A single water bottle or canteen full of snow tucked between clothing layers (not against bare skin) will have little effect on body temperature, especially if the person is staying active.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I'm not an expert but have heard of people getting frost bite on their lips from trying to hydrate on snow for a long period of time. IMHO the body makes enough waste heat to melt snow as suggested by putting her water bottle/canteen full of snow in her jacket pocket. eating twigs? Eating things that aren't food is never a good idea, have fun with butthole splinters.

for the piss drinking? maybe she was just a freak that way.
    The soft inner (green) bark of young pine branches is edible and is rich in sugar and vitamin C. You can chew it like gum, but it tastes like how Pine Sol smells.

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

not to argue anyone point, but drinking urine can be bad. i've also heard of using it for antiseptic for pink eye. we don't get much snow here. i have noticed my cows seem to act a little crazy when they eat too much of it trying to pick at the grass under neath it. take advice from frank zappa, watch out where the huskies go and don't you eat no yellow snow.