Page 36 of 64 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2017 Random Photo Thread

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    My 16 yo daughter a few times told me "Be woke" and I asked her WTF that meant. She just rolled her eyes and asked me "you never heard that?". I told her "no" and she said I was probably too old to "get it" (yup, daddy's girl.....)

When I saw it here I finally looked it up. I guess I should have "gotten it" out of context, but I didn't (maybe I AM too old).

"Be woke". How freakin' stupid that sounds. Not even correct grammar.
    The liberal version of "woke" is a fucking joke. They refuse to open their eyes to the JQ and instead blame everything on whites based on information fed to them by people who look white but aren't, if you catch my drift.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    The ATSF 247 had a small problem in La Junta, CO back on 06-01-68. http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=411168

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

"And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    The liberal version of "woke" is a fucking joke. They refuse to open their eyes to the JQ and instead blame everything on whites based on information fed to them by people who look white but aren't, if you catch my drift.
    Upon further "research", I stumbled upon a Wikipedia entry entitled "African American Vernacular English".

I cannot believe that inner city jungle talk babble has actually been given a name!

African American Vernacular English (AAVE)—also called African American English (AAE); less precisely Black English, Black Vernacular, Black English Vernacular (BEV), or Black Vernacular English (BVE)—is a variety (dialect, ethnolect and sociolect) of American English, spoken by urban working-class and (largely bi-dialectal) middle-class African Americans.[1] It is sometimes colloquially referred to as Ebonics, a term avoided by linguists due to its other meanings and connotations.[2] It shares a large portion of its grammar and phonology with the rural dialects of the Southern United States,[3] and especially older Southern American English.[4] Several creolists, including William Stewart, John Dillard and John Rickford, argue that AAVE shares enough characteristics with African Creole languages spoken around the world that AAVE itself may be an English-based creole language separate from English;[5][6] however, mainstream linguists maintain that there are no significant parallels,[7][8][9] and that AAVE is, in fact, a demonstrable variety of the English language,[10][11] having features that can be traced back mostly to the nonstandard British English of early settlers in the Southern United States.[12]

As with all linguistic forms, its usage is influenced by age, status, topic and setting. There are many literary uses of AAVE, particularly in African-American literature.
    The section on "Phonology" is also rather amusing... such as:

Realization of final ng /ŋ/, the velar nasal, as the alveolar nasal [n] in function morphemes and content morphemes with two or more syllables like -ing, e.g. tripping is pronounced as trippin. This change does not occur in one-syllable content morphemes such as sing, which is [sɪŋ] and not *[sɪn]. However, singing is [sɪŋɪn]. Other examples include wedding → [wɛɾɪn], morning → [mɔɹnɪn], nothing → [ˈnʌfɪn].
    Use of metathesized forms like aks for "ask"[40] or graps for "grasp".
    Before nasal consonants (/m/, /n/, and /ŋ/), /ɛ/ and /ɪ/ are both pronounced [ɪ], making pen and pin homophones.
    The distinction between /ɪ/ and /iː/ before liquid consonants is frequently reduced, making feel and fill homophones (fill–feel merger). /ʊər/ and /ɔər/ also merge, making poor and pour homophones (cure–force merger).
    In addition to these, there are a handful of multisyllabic words that differ from General American in their stress placement so that, for example, police, guitar and Detroit are pronounced with initial stress instead of ultimate stress.
    So, I guess word slurring such as "axe me if I fiils good" and "droppin' G' isn't a sign of uneducated inner city speech, but rather "official African American Vernacular English"

Also, incorrect grammar and the inability to utilize proper tense such as:

Phases/Tenses of AAVE

Phase (past)

Pre-recent I been bought it
    Recent I done buy it
    Pre-present I did buy it
    Past Inceptive I do buy it

Phase (present) I be buying it

Phase (future)

Immediate I'm a-buy it
    Post-immediate I'm a-gonna buy it
    Indefinite future I gonna buy it
    Isn't merely an indicator of little to no education, but again a valid, legitimate usage of "official African American Vernacular English".

Next thing you know, this crap is going to be "taught" in schools as a legitimate course of study. After all, they be livin' with the white man's language for way too long.

Oh, and to be fair, these classes will not be graded so that there is no "white bias".

This modern shit be makin' my brain be numb......
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Upon further "research", I stumbled upon a Wikipedia entry entitled "African American Vernacular English".

I cannot believe that inner city jungle talk babble has actually been given a name!

The section on "Phonology" is also rather amusing... such as:

So, I guess word slurring such as "axe me if I fiils good" and "droppin' G' isn't a sign of uneducated inner city speech, but rather "official African American Vernacular English"

Also, incorrect grammar and the inability to utilize proper tense such as:

Isn't merely an indicator of little to no education, but again a valid, legitimate usage of "official African American Vernacular English".

Next thing you know, this crap is going to be "taught" in schools as a legitimate course of study. After all, they be livin' with the white man's language for way too long.

Oh, and to be fair, these classes will not be graded so that there is no "white bias".

This modern shit be makin' my brain be numb......
    So, basically put, this is an attempt to legitimize the inability of urban blacks to speak correct English.

In the same way, the inability to create real music is legitimized by calling that crap, " rap music." It's no more music than their attempt to speak correct English is.

And, from the article above: This "dialect" is "spoken by urban working-class and (largely bi-dialectal) middle-class African Americans."

I beg to differ. It's spoken by the urban welfare, drug, and criminal elements, not the working class and middle class blacks. Most working class and middle class blacks know correct English. The others don't.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    So, basically put, this is an attempt to legitimize the inability of urban blacks to speak correct English.

In the same way, the inability to create real music is legitimized by calling that crap, " rap music." It's no more music than their attempt to speak correct English is.

And, from the article above: This "dialect" is "spoken by urban working-class and (largely bi-dialectal) middle-class African Americans."

I beg to differ. It's spoken by the urban welfare, drug, and criminal elements, not the working class and middle class blacks. Most working class and middle class blacks know correct English. The others don't.

I agree with you 100%. Look at any successful "black" person and they speak normal English without the ghetto "accent".

In fact, if you don't see them, you can't even tell if they are black or white by their speech.

Unfortunately, the ghetto thugs denigrate them as "sellouts to the white man".

I guess, to them, being a welfare rat living in a ghetto and speaking in "ebonics" is preferable to having a safe, decent, comfortable life that ANYONE can have if they are just willing to work for it.

Concerning rap "music", that's just one of many "styles" or "genres" of "music" that's available today.

I've always said that at the end of the 1990's, "music" went all to hell. It's ALL pure garbage now. It's either teenage girls chanting the same two lines over and over again with a few "woo-hoo's" thrown in in between or else it's that hideous screeching, screaming hoarse throat "metal" trash.

I ran into a YouTube video that explained to me why I can't stand today's garbage and now I feel better because I used to think "ahh I'm just an old fart that doesn't like today's kid's music... just like my parents hated the Beatles".

But. I found that I was right after all. Today's "music" SUCKS.

I have to wonder... who or what is behind the slow and steady erosion and destruction of our Country and the minds of our kids? I DON'T think it's just a matter of "we're old farts and we hate our kid's stuff the way our parents hated ours".

I think I have an open mind. I really do try to see the good in today's radio, TV and younger people in general and I just can't see it. It's all falling apart.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

I still say that rap"music" isn't music at all. It's not even related to African tribal drum music (which isn't bad).

It's nothing more than an attempt by shit-for-brains cretins who have NO musical talent, or skill, to create music without any knowledge of what music is, and end up with disjointed, arthritic-syncopated noise and no rhyme scheme at all, played at a volume that cracks windshields and is guaranteed to cause hearing loss in 30 minutes or less.

On a good day, it's called rap-crap. On a normal day, it's called shit.

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

I still say that rap"music" isn't music at all. It's not even related to African tribal drum music (which isn't bad).

Well it's kinda the modern version of reciting a poem....with music of some sort in the background.

There was a time when the reciting of poetry was considered high entertainment, but it died out and was pretty much forgotten with the advent of movies and TV.......at least until the rappers revived this form of entertainment.

Now rap isn't my cup of tea but then again I was never too keen on listening to a recital of Robert Frost or Emily Dickinson while someone plays the violin or a piano either.........and thinking about it I'd probably prefer the rap stuff if forced to choose.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation

after that last movie, that's where it belongs.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post

Lol woke means to them that you also have been programmed not how to think but what to think.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Ebonics;

Louis: Tosh.
    Tasha: Sup.
    Louis: Didju juh juh juh?
    Tasha: na he aks me tho.

One day, Leroy got an easy homework assignment. All he had to do was put each of the following vocabulary words in a sentence. Here's what he wrote. (Ebonic style)

1. HOTEL - I gave my girlfriend da crabs and the HOTEL everybody.

2. RECTUM - I had two Cadillacs, but my ol' lady RECTUM both.

3. DISAPPOINTMENT - My parole officer tol me if I miss DISAPPOINTMENT they gonna send me back to the big house.

4. FORECLOSE - If I pay alimony this month, I'll have no money FORECLOSE.

5. CATACOMB - Don King was at the fight the other night, Man, somebody give that CATACOMB.

6. PENIS - I went to da doctor and he handed me a cup and said PENIS.

7. ISRAEL - Alonso tried to sell me a Rolex, I said Man, that looks fake. He said, No, ISRAEL.

8. UNDERMINE - There is a fine lookin' hoe livin' in the apartment UNDERMINE.

9. TRIPOLI - I was gonna buy my old lady a bra but I couldn't find no TRIPOLI.

10. STAIN - My mother-in-law axed if I was STAIN for dinner again.

11. SELDOM - My cousin gave me two tickets to the Knicks game, so I SELDOM.

12. ODYSSEY - I told my bro, you ODYSSEY the tits on this hoe.

13. HORDE - My sister got into trouble because she HORDE around in school.

14. INCOME - I just got in bed wit dis hoe and INCOME my wife.

15. HONOR - At the rape trial, the judge axed my buddy, who be HONOR first?

16. FORTIFY - I axed da hoe how much? And she say FORTIFY.

17. DICTATE - Hey girl! How my DICTATE?

18. DISMAY - I went for a blood test, the doctor pulled out a big needle. He said, "DISMAY hurt a little."

19. OMELETTE - Every time I start a new job, OMELETTE go after a week.

20. DERANGE - DERANGE is where da deer and antelope play.

That monstrosity would never clear parking lot speed bumps.

Freedom isn't free.

That monstrosity would never clear parking lot speed bumps.

They use hydraulics to raise and lower the body.

It won't even roll when the body is fully lowered like the Buick is.
    Last edited by weevil; 07-04-2017 at 12:52 AM.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

A very custom '57 Buick! http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd980.htm

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Page 36 of 64 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast