Thread: RIP GLOCK 20: I Had a Kaboom

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post RIP GLOCK 20: I Had a Kaboom

After today, it's all historical.

at least the company admits it was bad ammo.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Bet they will give him a new gun(glock) or the ammo people to keep quiet.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

I had a case let go on me in a 1911. Lucky for me it just blew the mag out of the bottom. I had g10 grips on it and the contained the blast. Hurt like a mo fo and nice stains on the hands.

I'm pretty sure the bullet got pushed into the case from multiple chamberings, I now crimp the piss or of my ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    at least the company admits it was bad ammo.
    If I understand the situation correctly it was the LeHigh Defense bullet used by Underwood that was bad. This is disturbing to me because I have bought some of the LeHigh Defense ammo. Not sure what (if any) LeHigh's relationship to Underwood is exactly but I suspect Underwood was created by LeHigh Defense for liability reasons. I have tested the LeHigh expanding round in 45-70 and it is very impressive. I have some of their extreme penetrating rounds in 45-70 but have not tested them. I guess before I do I will check the bullet crimp. Based on a Youtube video I saw, the 45-70 Lehigh Defense Round will produce a small dent on the inside of an AR-500 plate which is impressive considering that .308 rounds do virtually nothing to an AR-500 plate. It would be interesting to compare the Lehigh Defense (or Underwood) extreme penetrating round to a Garett Hammerhead with respect stopping power on a large bear.

I have to add that I recently had an issue with a buckshot round from a major European ammo company. The round was unusally powerful based on recoil and I had difficulty opening the break action gun which was more or less locked up. I contacted the company and they sent a UPS truck the next day to pick up the remaining rounds. A week water I received replacement ammo. This was the only ammo problem I ever had in many years of shooting.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Yep if you watch the vid there is text inserted towards the end explaining what happened. Bullet was undersized and pushed down into the case when chambered, causing a pressure spike and boom. This information apparently supplied by Underwood which admitted that the bullets and them not catching the problem were to blame. They are replacing the pistol.

A good lesson to always inspect the ammo - weather factory or handloads...

Interesting that the barrel and slide showed no distress... I have that same Wolf barrel for my G20SF.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Yep if you watch the vid there is text inserted towards the end explaining what happened. Bullet was undersized and pushed down into the case when chambered, causing a pressure spike and boom. This information apparently supplied by Underwood which admitted that the bullets and them not catching the problem were to blame. They are replacing the pistol.

A good lesson to always inspect the ammo - weather factory or handloads...

Interesting that the barrel and slide showed no distress... I have that same Wolf barrel for my G20SF.
    Not sure but id like to maybe test out some the 300blk subsonic stuff ....

WOW!! Talk about an incredible story!
    Steve - glad to see and hear you suffered no permanent damage. Scary!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I don't think that was Steve. The link says Jerome...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    I don't think that was Steve. The link says Jerome...
    Correct, not my Glock!

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.