Thread: Thinking about buying a 9mm Carbine on an AR platform ,any good brands ?

Thinking about buying a 9mm Carbine on an AR platform ,any good brands ?

Im in the market for a AR style 9mm carbine but cant decide which company to go for Colt,CMMG,Rock River, Stag Arms ,Lone Wolf .....etc. Im not interested in the Kel Tec sub at all but what do you guys have or recommend? I would like to have a barrel at 16 inches.

I was looking at Just Right carbine a while back and liked the look and price of them. Not an AR platform, really. More like AR-ish. The ones I have handled felt good but never was able to fire one.

http://www.justrightcarbines.com/Home_Page.html

Build your own.

* From PSA a complete lowers are running under $145. Check Gunbroker for cheaper prices.
    * Then buy a 9mm upper, bolt and charging handle from anywhere, do a search on Gunbroker.
    * Then get an anti-rotation pin set. 9mms are hard on the AR pins.
    * Then I recommend Spikes Tactical 9mm mag block. It slides in from the bottom and takes Colt style or modifies UZI mags.
    * Most "drop in" mag block are NOT that simple. They require you to remove the bolt catch to install.

BISHOP

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

I'm happy with my Stag Arms 9mm AR. It's a great plinker, and with the red dot sight it's super fast on steel targets. It was pricey, though, at just under $900.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Well, I opted for the Gen 2 Kel Tec Sub 2000. The reason was it's ability to fold and use the same mags as my Glock 17.

But not your cup of tea.

The advantage of an AR 9mm is that if you already shoot AR's, you're staying with the same platform which reduces training changes. You can find reviews on the web for all of those options to help you decide.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

I opted for a 9MM Hi-Point Carbine at a cost of $145.00. Works great, i.e., 100% reliable, decent trigger, and ergonomics.

Quote Originally Posted by sar32 View Post
    Im in the market for a AR style 9mm carbine but cant decide which company to go for Colt,CMMG,Rock River, Stag Arms ,Lone Wolf .....etc. Im not interested in the Kel Tec sub at all but what do you guys have or recommend? I would like to have a barrel at 16 inches.

Why on earth would you want a rifle that fires wimpy pistol rounds?

I once had the chance to fire a 9mm M-16, courtesy of the local feds visiting the range, and it was fun... but no way would I waste my time or money on a rifle that can't punch through anything, and at less range to boot.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post

I once had the chance to fire a 9mm M-16, courtesy of the local feds visiting the range, and it was fun... but no way would I waste my time or money on a rifle that can't punch through anything, and at less range to boot.
    Not every gun in a collection has to be for zombie-defense or long-range shooting. I love 9mm carbines for plinking. I can shoot steel without beating the targets up, FMJ 9mm is cheaper than rifle cartridges, and it's just plain fun to quickly spit out many rounds with zero recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post

I used to think the same, but low noise signature is the advantage of pistol calibers in certain conditions. Also, if most of us ever use a firearm in self defense it will be at close range and under conditions that IMHO are not best served with a high powered rifle. My guess is shooting a 5.56 indoors without ear protection is rather disorientating and (from experience) this is not the case with 9mm.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Frankly it isn't a bad idea to have an AR 9 mm carbine as a lower cost alternative to a 5.56 version. I originally built a .22 LR upper to do this role but given how .22 LR is nearly impossible to get and is now running nearly a dime a round I'm thinking 9 mm now. I can cast my own 9 mm bullets and load my own ammo for a lower per round cost now than .22 LR. Granted, this is because I have components that date back to when primers were a penny each and powder was only $12 bucks a pound. My reloading cost for 50 rounds of 9 mm is $3.50.