Thread: Colt retro M16A1

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Post Colt retro M16A1

I love the look bu wouldn't pay $2500 for one.
    http://www.gunsandtech.com/reviews/t...m16a1-reissue/
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Yeah, same here. A person can duplicate that for far less money. Colt still remains full of themselves ... we're Colt and just because of that we can charge 2 or 3X more for a weapon!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Great looking rifle, bad looking price.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I didn't realize it when I first read the article but this will be a limited production run. The higher price may be in part to not being able to retooling and other costs over a larger, continuous production run.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Looks nice but expensive. I suppose if you are aiming it at the collector market as opposed to having it be a regular production item I can under stand why. But I am not that interested in collecting one for that price. It seems to me that colt always charges a lot more just because of their name. I wonder if they realize that they haven't really kept up over the years and their name doesn't seem to mean quite as much as it used to.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Damn. I had one exactly like that a long time ago (late 70's or early 80's) and it was a Colt. Since I wasn't into AR's as much as I was into AK's, I got rid of it.

20-20 hindsight can be a terrible thing to deal with sometimes....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

IMHO, this 'retro rifle' is also inaccurate, aka the details of the rifle........

1) The original AR-15s used by the USAF in the early 1960s had the slab side (no mag button fence) and the tri-prong flash hider (duckbill).

2) Then the more standard Tri prong flash hider was used by what we all know now as the XM16E1 (used by US troops and ARVN) in the early part of the war. 2nd Design Tri Prong Flash hider, Rib for receiver detent pin but NO full rib around the magazine button, forward assist with tear drop button, and a chromed bolt carrier. The buttstock was the early swivel sling style with hard rubber buttpad.

3) In 1967, the US Army then moved to the M16A1, which added the birdcage flash hider, full ribbing around the magazine button, no Chroming on the bolt carrier, and A1 style buttstock with Butt Plate Door Assembly w/Hinge & Pin.

This gun is a mashup of the XM16E1 and the M16A1 upgrade.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

PASS. I built my A1 clone for well under a grand, maybe around $800. The most expensive part was the barrel, followed by the A1 lower. The rest were cheap parts I cobbled together over time. I have noticed that M16 and A1 parts are just about non-existant now, thanks to the retro fad.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

I wish it had the slabside upper and lower along with the 1in14 twist rate barrel
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I like it! But agree on the price. Ridiculous. If they just priced them around $1000 they'd sell the crap out of them.

The twist rate should be changed to 1:9 just to be more practical. 1:12 was an intermediate rate IIRC. Started as 1:14. But with today's ammo, 1:9 makes more sense even though not retro.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

I like the idea, but the price is a bit off, IMO. I've already got my clone, so I wouldn't be in the market for it anyways.

My SP1 purchased in Wash DC. for $214.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    My SP1 purchased in Wash DC. for $214.
    What year was that, Skip?
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.