Thread: New Winchesters

New Winchesters

Does anyone have any experience with the newer winchesters? I think they are made in Japan. I've got a hankering for a 94 in .30-30 and am also interested in a model 70 in .30-06. The new ones use a pre 64 Mauser style extractor.

Anyone know if they are any good. I've heard that one should stay away from the newer marlins.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I can only speak on a sample of one, but I have a Japanese made 1895 Teddy Roosevelt 100th anniversary in 30-06 and it has been a great rifle. Well made and not bad to shoot if you don't mind the kick of a 30-06. I bought it back in 2003 and it still looks and shoots like new.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

No idea on this topic. Though the irony of Japan making firearms when their citizens can't own any is a real head scratcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    No idea on this topic. Though the irony of Japan making firearms when their citizens can't own any is a real head scratcher.
    Howa™ has been making sporting guns for US manufacturers since the 1970s. And yes, the irony is that their own citizens can't have any is not lost on most Americans, but to ponder it is not a new thing. Howa made the AR-180 (under license from Armalite) rifle back in the 1970s but it was STUPID GUN CONTROL politicians in Japan that forced them to stop making them for civilian sale. (Anti gun Pols are the SAME everywhere!). But Howa does make all the JSDGF's weapons like the Type 89 or the new Type 96, so it makes sense for them to use their tooling to make 'politically safe' weapons for international sale.

I'm wondering if any of our members have Howa rifles. I'd be curious to see how they shoot. I hear good things.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

From what I understand, the Miroku guns are top notch. I had a Miroku Win 1895 in 405 Win (that I had to sell ) that was excellent.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

I have a really 00s model 94 in .44 mag. It shoit's fine but is real rough inside. I'd expect better fit and finish from the Japanese