Thread: Backyard fun. M1 Garand POV

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Backyard fun. M1 Garand POV

Those 8 rounds i loaded the other day. 147 grain M80 bullets over 49 grains of H4895... CCI primers and nosher brass. Just got back from this an hour ago. was only checking for pressure signs. Wasn't shooting for accuracy this time. Target is an old chair with a TV on it.

Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Love the first person view. My dog looked up at me with a "WTF look" when she heard the clip being ejected. Looks like you have a nice long-range shooting spot.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    Looks like you have a nice long-range shooting spot.
    Yea its pretty good. I hope it stays. Its off the highway real close to home. Hidden well with trees. The entrance road leading into this spot is just a beaten path and is on a turn so really hard to find unless you know exactly where it is

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

So did the primers look OK for pressure? What receiver is it; Springfield, H&R, International or Winchester?

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    So did the primers look OK for pressure? What receiver is it; Springfield, H&R, International or Winchester?
    They look good to me. The receiver is a Springfield. Hope that means its a good one.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

the garand is not just another '06. you will bend the op-rod and ruin the rifle long before you see any pressure signs. you should check for published GARAND SPECIFIC load data to make sure that is a safe load. (if your at the point that your worried about overpressure, im guessing its not)

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    the garand is not just another '06. you will bend the op-rod and ruin the rifle long before you see any pressure signs. you should check for published GARAND SPECIFIC load data to make sure that is a safe load. (if your at the point that your worried about overpressure, im guessing its not)
    used the NRA recommended data. found it online. Said for 150 grain bullet use 49 grains of H4895. My book says Max load of 51 grains for that weight bullet... Also 4895 is the correct burn rate for the op rod issue... I just was concerned because the bullets are pulls and not the most uniform. I mic'd and weighed the ones i used and they looked good.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Nice. Garands are fun to shoot...it's funny how my '43 Springfield M1 seems to have considerably less recoil than my '42 Springfield '03, using the same identical 150 gr ball ammo.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    Nice. Garands are fun to shoot...it's funny how my '43 Springfield M1 seems to have considerably less recoil than my '42 Springfield '03, using the same identical 150 gr ball ammo.

I wonder if the gas port is slightly bigger in the 42...

Completely missed the 03 part. Yea makes sense. I had a Remington 7400 and a 7600 both in .308 and same thing. I think its the rearward momentum of the action that reduces the felt recoil.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    Completely missed the 03 part. Yea makes sense. I had a Remington 7400 and a 7600 both in .308 and same thing. I think its the rearward momentum of the action that reduces the felt recoil.
    Yes. I think the gas-assisted recoil of the moving parts aids in reducing the kick. I also think the Garand is the easiest-shooting of just about any 30-06 rifle, at least ones which have no recoil pad.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    Yes. I think the gas-assisted recoil of the moving parts aids in reducing the kick. I also think the Garand is the easiest-shooting of just about any 30-06 rifle, at least ones which have no recoil pad.
    I've noticed my garand to be very very soft shooting. More so than any .308 bolt action.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    They look good to me. The receiver is a Springfield. Hope that means its a good one.

Yes you're primes look very low pressure. On receivers if it is a military model as listed in my first post, it's all good. Springfield was the first arsenal to make them, can't go wrong with that.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 01-25-2017 at 07:59 PM.