Thread: putting your name on a gun

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

putting your name on a gun

I had my new to me savage 99 out again yesterday for a shoot. This time outside. It groups well. I really like it. I was looking at pictures of older 99's online and I see a thing early on was to have the gun personalized with your name on the side of the receiver. I was thinking of getting my first initial and last name engraved on the side. My son shares the same first and last name as per family tradition so it will work for him as well. The gun was refinished by the previous owner and he did a very good Job but this ruins collector value. The gun is also the economy version.... So probably little collector value in the future anyway. What's the overall opinion on doing this? It will almost certainly guarantee the gun will stay in the family. it will also prevent me from trading it out in the future when I see a different gun i want. That would be a good thing.

Opinions?
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I wouldn't put my name on it. If someone stole it and used it in a crime and found the weapon, your name would be on it and the police would be at your door. Plus, if it were used in a really bad crime, even though your name were on it, you still might never get it back.

And, like you said, if you ever do decide to get rid of it, your name engraved on it would reduce the value to someone else.

If you're really set on having your name on it, why not get a metal butt plate and engrave your name on that. Then, if you ever decide to get rid of it, just switch out the butt plate to the original and you'd be good to go.

As far a collector value, regardless of what you might do to it, they don't make them any more. While that doesn't make them overly valuable, the caliber of yours and the fact that you have it, is worth more than a standard lever gun.

Just my opinion....It's your gun.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    My 2 cents is don't do it. Granted you are most likely to keep a firearm in the family than a car, and some firearms can be personalized without worrying about losing value, like alismith said, yours is not your standard firearm and even refinished will retain the ability to sell easily if you ever need to, or just want to.

Now if it was a dime a dozen Glock or Beretta 92, go ahead and engrave to your heart's content as they aren't rare and never will be.

I wish I had taken this advise with some cars that I have owned. Spent a ton personalizing them only to sell them later. While it is fun to make something that one of a kind that only you own, there are some items best left as is, and again, my 2 cents on your 99 is not to do it.

Again, your rifle, so you have the last word and only you know the chances it will stay in your family forever.

thanks for the advice. i am going to NOT do it. You are right. I'm over it now. was just a passing thought.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    My 2 cents is don't do it. Granted you are most likely to keep a firearm in the family than a car, and some firearms can be personalized without worrying about losing value, like alismith said, yours is not your standard firearm and even refinished will retain the ability to sell easily if you ever need to, or just want to.

Now if it was a dime a dozen Glock or Beretta 92, go ahead and engrave to your heart's content as they aren't rare and never will be.

I wish I had taken this advise with some cars that I have owned. Spent a ton personalizing them only to sell them later. While it is fun to make something that one of a kind that only you own, there are some items best left as is, and again, my 2 cents on your 99 is not to do it.

Again, your rifle, so you have the last word and only you know the chances it will stay in your family forever.

asslicks around here used to put their name or SS# on rifles and shotguns , typically looks like stevie wonder did it.

nothing like finding an original winchester 92 and some dink has his entire name scratched deep into the side of the barrel/receiver.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    asslicks around here used to put their name or SS# on rifles and shotguns , typically looks like stevie wonder did it.

nothing like finding an original winchester 92 and some dink has his entire name scratched deep into the side of the barrel/receiver.

Ya i changed my mind not doin it

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post

OMG around here, back in the 1950s, asshats used to electric pencil engrave their fucking Driver's license numbers into the receivers of their guns. I picked up a rare shotgun that SHOULD have been worth $1500 for pennies on the dollars because the previous owner (back in the 1950s) etched his DL# on BOTH sides of a factory blue pristine receiver. Totally fucked the resale value. I got a good price on the gun, but that defacement on the receiver just BUGS me.....

Back in the 40's my Grandpa got my dad a Stevens Little Scout 22 rifle ... dad carved his name and BOTH digits of his phone number in the stock because he didn't want it to get "borrowed without his knowledge", and if it did, he wanted to be able to identify it.

Now, its covered with a rusty patina, the barrel's shot out from (he said) using 22's with steel buckshot for squirrels rabbits, quail and such, the breach block wont lock up, even with the machine screw that replaced the handle ... and even if it did, I'm not sure if the striker would contact the cartridge rim to fire it.

I think his identification carved into the stock actually enhances the value