Thread: Impulse Buy CZ99

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Post Impulse Buy CZ99

Ran across a CZ-99 today in a new pawn shop that just opened and I decided to go for it. This is the model made in Yugoslavia that reminds me of a SIG 226. Came with one 15rd mag and lots of holster wear for $260.00. I took the photos of it's mag next to one out of my Beretta 92FS. Looks nearly identical. Thinking if I cut the notch in the front it might work. Anyway I'll get it cleaned up and see how it shoots. Might do a cerakote finish and replace all the springs or may just leave it as is. Bought it with the intention of making it my truck gun. If anyone has any info on this gun and especially a source for mags please let me know.

e

The Beretta mag is the loaded one.

The drag mark on the front of the Beretta mag is from the mag catch in the CZ99. I inserted the mag and it fits fine.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 03-04-2017 at 10:06 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Probably the mod will work. Check Mecgar to see if they have CZ mags. They build a lot of mags for many companies as an OEM.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Looks like a very rugged pistol. You going to cc that one or is it too thick? I like it.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 03-05-2017 at 01:13 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    You are right that there seems to be a lot of Sig in that CZ.

Since the Beretta mag slides in, I would go ahead and cut the "D" shaped hole to latch into the CZ and give it a try. Being in the front my only worry is that it would catch the nose of the bullet, but I guess the lock in the CZ is designed to fit the hole sufficient to prevent that from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    Looks like a very rugged pistol. You going to cc that one or is it too thick? I like it.
    Truck gun most likely.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Neat gun. They were going for cheap brand new a few years ago.

This isn't actually a CZ brand gun, it's just coincidence that the Serbians gave their gun a model name whose abbreviation just happens to be CZ. The Czech CZ stands for Českα zbrojovka Uherskύ Brod. This is just a Zastava pistol named CZ-99.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zastava_CZ_99
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Yeah, I realized it wasn't you regular "CZ" when I was looking it up. I noticed it has "made in Yugoslavia" on it which of course is no longer a country.

It cleaned up fairly well. It's dead easy to take down and put back together. I may check around and see if a 226 recoil spring will work. Not knowing the round count it couldn't hurt to install a new spring.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    You missed out on mags, aim surplus had them for $15 at one point, I bought 4 for my south african version, the TZ-99

I'll take one of my 15rd M92FS mags to work tomorrow and use the drill press to put a new hole in the front and see how it works out. If the factory mag functions fine I really only need another mag, maybe two for a truck gun.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

So far so good. Modified one of my Beretta mags. Took maybe 10 minutes including taking the mag apart and putting it back together. Doesn't quite flush up with the bottom of the grip and there is some up and down play but it Feds every round when cycled by hand, lockers the slide back and drops free. Just need to get to the range and test it before I call it good and or mod another mag. Two mags is all I really need for a range/ truck gun as long as both are 100%. Also I only tested it with 124gr ball so need to check it with some HP as well.

If it pans out I have to say it's a quick, easy and pretty cheap fix. IIRC the mil spec mags I bought for my Berreta (MecGar) only cost me $20
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Keep posting, I'm interested to read how this turns out.

Here are the results of a little TLC

Before

After

Before

After
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068