Thread: This truck is causing my anger monkeys to protrude.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

This truck is causing my anger monkeys to protrude.

Spent another $300 on my truck today for no reason. Intermittent hard starting. Totally random when it happens but it NEVER happens when a mechanic has it. Only when i am sitting behind the wheel alone or with someone that can take the opportunity to make ford jokes when its cranking over. So today they spend 3 hours trying to figure it out and determined that it was "historical error codes that were not cleared" and that these were causing the truck to not go into sleep mode therefor draining the battery. Also they said my battery was weak. I expected that. So we put a new one in. AC Delco, So for their time and the new battery it cost me $300.

Truck did it again when i got in and started it to drive home from the mechanic shop. I just rolled on. Never went back into the see the mechanic again. I been chasing this problem since i got the truck last year. So far the spark plus, spark plug wires, coil packs, fuel filter, fuel pump, injectors and battery have been replaced. Is it possible that it is the crank shaft position sensor? There are no engine codes regarding this issue. The engine light is off. The ones on the system that they cleared were for environmental things that have hopefully been resolved. You would think if the crank shaft position sensor was bad that it would make a code. its a voodoo magic mystery.

Wondering if a rolled up burning newspaper up inside the dash might cure the problem.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    Spent another $300 on my truck today for no reason. Intermittent hard starting. Totally random when it happens but it NEVER happens when a mechanic has it. Only when i am sitting behind the wheel alone or with someone that can take the opportunity to make ford jokes when its cranking over. So today they spend 3 hours trying to figure it out and determined that it was "historical error codes that were not cleared" and that these were causing the truck to not go into sleep mode therefor draining the battery. Also they said my battery was weak. I expected that. So we put a new one in. AC Delco, So for their time and the new battery it cost me $300.

Truck did it again when i got in and started it to drive home from the mechanic shop. I just rolled on. Never went back into the see the mechanic again. I been chasing this problem since i got the truck last year. So far the spark plus, spark plug wires, coil packs, fuel filter, fuel pump, injectors and battery have been replaced. Is it possible that it is the crank shaft position sensor? There are no engine codes regarding this issue. The engine light is off. The ones on the system that they cleared were for environmental things that have hopefully been resolved. You would think if the crank shaft position sensor was bad that it would make a code. its a voodoo magic mystery.

Wondering if a rolled up burning newspaper up inside the dash might cure the problem.
    It may solve your problem... if you don't BLAB ABOUT IT IN PUBLIC........
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Hole in the fuel line.

BISHOP

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

just a bad starter and/or bad wire end that connects to the starter. seems like a dead battery but everything works fine. if i had a nickle for every terminal end i had to change that was corroded away on a ford starter, id be able to get at least a pretty decent sized cup of coffee. from a fast food or convenience store anyway, none of that fancy designer shit.

Lol I think a similar issue was solved on a ford exploder by replacing the gas cap.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

You should probably take control of that anger monkey. Maybe spank it. Hth.

what is hard starting?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    what is hard starting?
    Turns over a few seconds. It doesn't fire right up.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

If you have spent that much and the problem hasn't been found, it is iffy. Have you had
    the cpu flashed or over written with the org. code? Or maybe try a high performance
    chip in the cpu? Maybe good money after bad but that is your choice. But it sounds that
    you have done all the mechanical you can unless it is the throttle body.

be the heat..

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Must be a Ford! everyone knows the very Best Trucks made in the USA are Chevys! Screw a Ford!
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Damn rci don't project you problems across international boarders. Just went outside a got in my truck 03 F150.
    It will not crank. It will turn over but will not fire up. I've never had a problem until i joined your thread. Oh well.....

be the heat..

Team GunsNet Gold 03/2014

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    just a bad starter and/or bad wire end that connects to the starter. seems like a dead battery but everything works fine. if i had a nickle for every terminal end i had to change that was corroded away on a ford starter, id be able to get at least a pretty decent sized cup of coffee. from a fast food or convenience store anyway, none of that fancy designer shit.
    Had the problem with a Ranger, dead battery, got a push and started up and drove home from work. Under the truck checking the wiring and wiggled the power cable from the solenoid to the starter and the damned thing broke off. Corroded to death.

I soldered on the new connecter and had no more problems in that area.

RCI - a neighbor of mine had a similar-sounding problem with her SUV this past summer. Turn the key and - nothing. No crank or spark. Repeated dead batteries. Never when at the shop.
    They finally ended up replacing the ignition switch which seemed to have solved the problem. She was "advised" to minimize the weight of her keyring to avoid undue stress on the switch.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

What kind of Ford truck do you have that takes a 300 buck battery? I have been using Walmart batteries for 20 years and they are in the 70-80 buck range. I have a 2010 F150 with 5.4 V8. If I leave it parked for an extended time, the battery will run down so I just unhook the battery ground when I do park it. Have you changed your fuel filter lately? Either you are not getting gas or a weak spark. Changed your distributer cap and rotor lately? My other F150 was a 1995 with 300 six. It would run down the battery if parked for a long time. I just did what I do to the other truck. I sold that truck last year. My latest Ford truck is a 1972 F100. Big block 360 if a hoot to drive....chris