Thread: There are no cheap C&R Guns any more, do you know why?

There are no cheap C&R Guns any more, do you know why?

Now I've put this thread in the general discussion forum, because if anyone has insight on OTHER non gun items or commodities that have also skyrocketed in price, more so than standard inflation then I wish for them to feel free to post them on this thread as well.

For me, a comment by another member got me thinking. He was right. There ARE no deals any more. Gun shows for the most part suck. I think Ebay (or the internet gun auction sites) enable any buyer anywhere to get to any seller (for the most part). And every seller thinks his junk is gold.

C&R Long guns were plentiful and cheap. So where did they go? Are more individual gun owners hoarding them up in large collections? Or are more individual people becoming gun owners?

I kinda hate those YOUTUBE channels where they all talk about how great and cheap certain C&R long guns are and how you should buy them. Then suddenly I start seeing the price of a Mosin Nagant M91/30 skyrocket from 80 bucks to $350 in some markets. WTF?

I did hear that U.S. Customs (under Obama) was quietly not allowing those giant CONEX shipping containers of old surplus guns that many countries were finding and trying to convert into quick cash via the American Gun Owners market. I'm not surprised that ANY DEMOCRAT administration would be such shitheads when it came to off the radar gun control like this. I hope things change under Trump. Who knows?

I just know that many of our members don't buy cheap C&R guns any more because they're no longer cheap. In many markets, like California, the limitation is artificial, created by politicians and stupid restrictions, but elsewhere, otherwise cheap rifles are becoming rather expensive and I don't know why.

Thoughts on this?

one issue, our US dollar went well below toilet level .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

More gun owners, limited number of C&R guns to go around, 0bama administration blocking imports, lack of complete parts kits, and the value of the dollar being down are probably the major factors. Supply and demand is probably the biggest cause - just like with machine guns. Ask yourself when was the last time you saw a whole crate of any C&R type of firearm for sale. Then ask your father or grandfather when was the last time he saw wooden barrels filled with $30 1903 Springfields at the hardware store. It's been a while.

On the plus side, the AR market exploded during the 'Bongo years and now we have cheap ARs and plenty of neat parts and accessories to go with them.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    While there were millions of many C&R firearms made, the number imported was enough to keep up with demand years ago, but in the last 20 years not many more have been "found hiding in a warehouse" and guessing as more people get into collecting, with more money to spend, prices have gone up. There are some people that have more money than brains which I believe is why the prices on some of them is so absolutely crazy.

dont forget/ "supply and command"

if i have something that sells for X amount and people buy it up, over time i can slowly trickle the price upwards and still continue selling. Even reaching a point of cost that would turn a few away, people will still buy it.

seriously though. other than mosins,yugo sks' , cz52 pistols and the swiss stuff. Everything else has only gradually gone upwards in price cause of the low demand.

there's more than the tin foil 'blame obama' excuse folks use, the places these guns were coming from caught on and they started wanting big $$$$ for shit importers were paying single dollars for at some points. same with ammo

dont forget rising fuel costs worldwide as well
    Last edited by Helen Keller; 03-22-2017 at 03:42 PM.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Remember too that after WW2 everyone switched over to rifles that can't be imported. If there wasn't a full auto ban you'd see all kinds of shit on the market.

I think it has a lot to do with the internet. Everyone knows who has what
    and what they are charging. So no one wants to think they should give someone a break on price.
    Hell look at what the AK prices and the AR prices did. Totally flipped in a couple of years.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    one issue, our US dollar went well below toilet level .
    You're right. That's what happens when OBAMA prints endless amounts of money to cover his insane spending spree over the last eight years. The FED printed money like it's going out of style. Now the dollar is worth so much LESS than it did before Obama came into office.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I think part of it was a huge buying spree triggered by Sandy Hook. I've noticed ever since then old milsurp iron has dried up or gone completely bonkers in price.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Remember too that after WW2 everyone switched over to rifles that can't be imported. If there wasn't a full auto ban you'd see all kinds of shit on the market.
    True. An example is the Swiss SGT57 and the STG90, (though you can get the 90 variant from Sig built here in the USA). I traveled to Switzerland on business for a couple of years back around 2002. I could of purchased the semiauto modified STG57 for $278 US dollars but thanks to BATFE's once a machine gun always a machine gun attitude it was a no-go. Hell it took a year just to get a K31 bolt rifle to the US I found on one of the trips.

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    You're right. That's what happens when OBAMA prints endless amounts of money to cover his insane spending spree over the last eight years. The FED printed money like it's going out of style. Now the dollar is worth so much LESS than it did before Obama came into office.
    QE come to mind?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

Econ 101: Basic Supply & Demand.

The used gun factories have run out of inventory.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter