Thread: Sometimes I just can't help myself ...

Sometimes I just can't help myself ...

The MP5 SD has been on my short list for a couple decades, but I've never seen one for sale; when I had the cash. Then, last summer I saw on Atlantic's website that a company called Omega is making them. It's a barreled receiver with F/A carrier & bolt ... the ad said "just add your favorite trigger pack and suppressor" and I got on their wait list ... months went by and no word.

I should note that in the last 40 years I've always had a sports car of some sort, nothing high end / exotic, MG Midget's & B's, Datsun 240, 260 & 280Z's a couple older (not collectable) Corvettes ... older models that were fairly cheap to keep; that I could afford to play with on the weekends. Early last year I traded my 2006 Pontiac Solstice for a car for my 15yo daughter and ... I handled sports car withdraws pretty well ... well, until November.

That's when I came across a '72 Corvette that spoke to me ... It needed some work, so I brought it home (to the dismay of my wife) but I sold some guns to cover most of the cost of the car and swore off any new gun purchases (at least until the car was done)

Then about 3 weeks ago a I was on Atlantic's site and there it was ... Omega's MP5 SD - IN STOCK!

So, what could I do?
    It was a force beyond my control ... I whipped out my plastic!

It got here and I added my full-auto sear pack and stock ... It took a bit of tinkering with my Octane 45 suppressor, but I made it work.

And as they say in the Geico commercials ... Wa la!

If the HPA passes I'll probably buy a real SD suppressor ... or maybe build one, with all the parts you can buy on GunBroker and Amazon, it's not too difficult anymore.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    True full auto MP5-SD?

A long time ago before daughter started college, we were working a gun show, and during a break decided to see what was available. Turned the first corner and there on the table was a real, transferable MP5-SD with a tag reading $15,000. I was in a crazy mood, and figured you only live once, so I offered him his full $15,000. The moron obviously didn't expect any offers, so he hemmed and hawed, picked up some book and told me that the price had gone up within the last week or so, and it was now $18,000. I won't repeat what my daughter called him.

Wound up getting one from Coharie Arms during their battle with H&K over the rights to produce a knock-off. They needed the money for lawyers and I got it for a song. One of my favorites that I don't take out too often but really enjoy it when I do.

Enjoy yours too!!!!!!!

I bought a CA89 and SBR'd it back in 07 when Kansas passed concealed carry and rescinded the full-auto, SBR & Suppressor ban we have had since '86 ... then in '12 I got a cash windfall and bought the sear and an M16 ... before they got anymore expensive. To be honest, at first the "MP5" wasn't as much fun as I was expecting it to be ... until I got the sear.

So far this SD has been awesome, and it's ran flawlessly; however I was a little pissed when I first got it as I didn't realize I couldn't "just add my favorite suppressor" ... I didn't realize it needed a SD suppressor. But as I said, I made my Octane 45 work ... I took half my baffles out of the Octane45 to allow for the barrel and make a blast chamber; then I made a ported ring to sit on the shoulder of the barrel with a spring on top of it to keep the remaining baffles pushed forward. It averages between 130-140db on my meter and I'm guessing that if I was using all 8 of the baffles it would be even quieter. Shooting full power ammo in the SD with 1/2 the baffels in my Octane45, it's about the same as shooting subsonics in my CA89 with all the baffels.

Awesome! that looks like plain fun to me
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Congrats! You always have the coolest toys!

I talked to SilencerCo to see if they have an adapter for the MP5 SD ... they don't and didn't seem to have any interest in talking about it.

A guy I met on another forum that's a machinist, and likes making "one-off" item's. He's making an "adapter/extension/blast chamber" for my suppressor (SWR Octane) to fit and he's already sent me the first prototype. It works great, is much quieter than with only 4 baffles, however there were a couple tweaks needed. When its done it will be almost the same length of a factory MP5 suppressor ... he's also making an adapter for my Styer SPP for the same suppressor.

I'll post some pictures when its done and maybe a video ... if anyone else is interested or has a special project like this I'll get you hooked up with him to see if he's interested.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Nice that you found someone willing to do one-offs. Sad big companies don't seem to care about individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Nice that you found someone willing to do one-offs. Sad big companies don't seem to care about individuals.
    they do if you're willing to pay.

scopion Evo 18.5 to 16x1lh cost me a little penny for a one off adaptor .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

I think Mark(?) at TROS does one-off's too but I don't know what a first would cost ... I've gotten a couple items from him and the prices weren't too bad, but they were both things he had in stock too ... I didn't think of him until after I'd already met this other guy.

i just use usmg for all my stuff now.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

I found ad specialty stuff, cabinet makers & everything else ... Gotta link?

Never mind, I found it ... www.usmachinegun.com
    Last edited by kimberkid; 04-15-2017 at 06:01 PM.