Thread: Is this normal for a flash to wobble like this ?

Is this normal for a flash to wobble like this ?

I've never really messed with flash hiders before but is that slop normal? Once it gets down to the Crush Washer it's pretty solid and this is a brand-new Ruger ar-556. Here is a video of what it's doing.
    https://youtu.be/yuSRJQp0d-w

Quote Originally Posted by sar32 View Post
    I've never really messed with flash hiders before but is that slop normal? Once it gets down to the Crush Washer it's pretty solid and this is a brand-new Ruger ar-556. Here is a video of what it's doing.
    https://youtu.be/yuSRJQp0d-w

That's simply clearance between the threads. It's supposed to do that. Maybe it's a LITTLE bit more clearance than necessary, but once it's seated it should be fine.

If there were less clearance, the FH wouldn't be able to screw on. Besides, there needs to be some room for thermal expansion.

It's perfectly fine. Don't worry about it.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Thank you . I was thinking the threads might be worn or stripped.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Sloppier than I would of expected but should be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Sloppier than I would of expected but should be OK.
    You think running a die over the threads might tighten up the play?

No absolutely not. Leave it as it is.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Yeah it's just those pet peeve things. I took it into a gun store that specializes in AR's and they said don't even worry about it they've seen worse once it goes down on the crush washer it's pretty much like epoxy it's not going anywhere.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sar32 View Post
    You think running a die over the threads might tighten up the play?
    NO, ah NO and did I mention .... NO?

It's all good thanks for the advice guys I just got back from the range and dump 200 rounds down it it's not going anywhere

sar32 - running a die over those barrel threads will only TAKE metal away from the barrel and make that flash hider even more loose.

That being said, BEFORE you make the final tightening, you can put on a couple of small dots of a REMOVABLE thread-locker. This will help keep the hider from working itself loose from vibration.

Good luck.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    sar32 - running a die over those barrel threads will only TAKE metal away from the barrel and make that flash hider even more loose.

That being said, BEFORE you make the final tightening, you can put on a couple of small dots of a REMOVABLE thread-locker. This will help keep the hider from working itself loose from vibration.

Good luck.

Thread locker (Loctite Blue - removable or Loctite Red - permanent) is useless for a flash hider because both of them soften with heat. In fact, warming up "Loctited" threads is the way to take them apart (even if the permanent red type was used).

In normal operation, an AR-15 barrel gets way hotter than that.

Loctite works by polymerizing (turning into a plastic) in the presence of a catalyst - in this case steel. When it polymerizes, it expands and puts thousands of pounds per square inch of pressure on the threads and locks them in place (so well that in some cases the metal will fail before the Loctite releases).

But since it's a plastic, simply heating it to 200 to 250 degrees F will soften it and allow the parts to be easily disassembled.

As far as tightening up the threads goes, you CAN "tin" female thread in the flash hider with silver solder (not silver bearing plumbing solder, but silver solder that melts at a dull red heat of around 1200 degrees F or so), then run a 1/2-28 tap through the flash hider to remove most of the silver solder and leave clean, tighter threads.

Of course, this is completely un-necessary, but if you WANT less thread play, that's how to do it.

By the way, if you do buy Loctite, realize that, strangely, Loctite red comes in a BLUE tube and Loctite blue comes in a RED tube. Go figure.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!